UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C3 Batcave Question

dark knight

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I recently was putting my C3 Batcave back together after a move, but a piece slipped, and the most of it fell apart. Has anyone here "glued" theirs together to keep it in one piece? If so, what did anyone use?

Thanks,

Tony

They're notorious for falling apart. Sadly, I think this failure was the first nail in the coffin so to speak for the line. Even the additional parts offered to help stabilize the set didn't do much for the structural integrity. The problem isn't the bricks themselves. It is in the base plates used. They're horribly warped. The other, smaller sets (throne room, chemical warehouse - even some of the flyers -) suffered from this same problem but it wasn't as apparent due to the smaller size of the base plates in those sets.

Your best bet is to superglue the individual bricks as you build if you want the set to stay in one piece. The other option would be to build your own using quality LEGO parts... ;)

Its funny, I actually remember reading negative reviews of that set on Amazon waaay back before I actually was interested in Minimates myself. I was looking for something for my nephew, and ran across a review really bashing these as being "cheap LEGO knock-offs" or some such thing that fell apart and weren't worth a damn. I guess there was truth to it.

Mine never had a hope of staying together, some of the plates were so warped! One of the most frustrating times I ever spent with toys tbh. I hope that came across in the articles I did for the site, I'm sure it did!

You guys are too negative. Ive built 3 of those batcaves, one of which was my own and it never fell apart, until I moved last weekend. Still, the set is only in a few pieces and easy to fix. So the base was warped, big deal. Its still a better batcave than the lego one.

Use model glue, like the testors brand. if you use superglue from any brand that wasnt intended for models, it will chemically alter the appearance of the area where the glue is, so it looks like a gritty white color.

I hot glued mine together. I got to admit that the "lego" bricks arent very good.

You guys are too negative. Ive built 3 of those batcaves, one of which was my own and it never fell apart, until I moved last weekend. Still, the set is only in a few pieces and easy to fix. So the base was warped, big deal. Its still a better batcave than the lego one.

Use model glue, like the testors brand. if you use superglue from any brand that wasnt intended for models, it will chemically alter the appearance of the area where the glue is, so it looks like a gritty white color.

Couldn't disagree more. LEGO actually stay together. Play-ability, consistent color - actually in line with Batman's world - all these things make the LEGO set more desirable and a better set IMO. Plus, the LEGO cave came with a TRex. C3's didn't.

• 1 month later...
Sorry if this has been addressed before. I recently was putting my C3 Batcave back together after a move, but a piece slipped, and the most of it fell apart. Has anyone here "glued" theirs together to keep it in one piece? If so, what did anyone use?

My perspective on this beast is probably a bit different from most. Unlike a lot of folks who bought this as a display piece, this was always meant to be a place to park the Batmobile (albeit the minimobile at time of purchase). After a few very headache filled afternoons, we went and got a small piece of thin wood. We didn't glue the blocks together, but we did glue the base down onto the wood. (used liquid nails or maybe Gorilla glue, whichever was on-hand that day) That keeps the main support flat, and it can even be played with by two kids. It's still wobbly. One bad turn with a Batmobile and the whole thing threatens to fall. But nearly as much as it did before we glued the base done. And yeah, we did it in such a way to allow the big computer thing to still rotate around. The other advantage to gluing the base down? I don't have to find a place to keep storing the completed set, just a shoebox of parts and hunk of wood.

Further improvement to the thing have been on my to-do list since we bought in. I just never remember to take height measurements on all the lower supports when it's set up. They need beefing up. Would lose the open walk space, but maybe some built in recesses, a few stickers, and you could rig some labs, or bat-a-rang storage. Man, it could be fun just to play with the whole design.

But that's my advice, glue that base plate down flat to something, not the bricks.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I just got this playset the other day, I really like it. :biggrin:

I have a question, I was putting together the Batcave and towards the end the instructions specifically told me to build this...

4187530825_d49b8ff07f.jpg

Futher more, after being built, it just sits away from the batcave, your not asked to attach or firmly place it anywhere?

To me, it looks like a satellite, i only say this because of the rotating blue panel on the side.

Does anyone know what it is?

Mine is just collecting dust. I got plenty of spare bat cave parts back in the day wen they were on clearance. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna build a hall of armor for Iron Man, but i just cant get around to building it.

• 4 months later...

I bought my Batcave C3 set back in 2004 I think. Saying it falls apart is a bit exaggerating, it's more like the plastic wasn't flexible enough to snap and hold together nicely.

However it's 2010 and after the cave's been put away in a box for a few years I assembled it back again. This time it holds on pretty well. I'm not sure if it's because of some unknown chemical reaction to the plastic but it definitely holds better than I remembered.

• 3 years later...

Hi new to the site. I recently came across my sons C3 batcave and decided to put it together. Problem was there was no instructions. It took some effort but I finally came across this site and the helpful hints and articles that Danny Mills took the time to right and supply detailed pictures. A big thanks as I never would have been able to do it with out your help! post-8615-0-13613900-1373997356_thumb.jp

Awesome job Michael, kudos to you for being hardcore and finishing it up. I get frustrated with my son's Thomas Take & Play :P I found this when doing a quick google search. Pretty nice visuals for folks like me that aren't mechanically inclined. Still need to tackle this, but my house is still in the inbetween projects. Flooring is almost there, but this last half of the hallway is dragging out.