UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern: The Movie

minimadman

There are a LOT of things I can complain about in this film. A LOT of things... But I don't really want to. I enjoyed the hell out of most of this thing, but it seemed longer than it was. It had a lot of padding and not as much Cosmic stuff as I wanted there to be, but I still enjoyed the hell out of the movie. However don't expect Hector Hammond to be either menacing or interesting. He sucked. He sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked. SUCKED! However you who worried about Ryan Reynolds not being that good, he was the best thing in this film. He was great as Hal and he dominated the film. If you've seen X-Men First Class and need something to do, see this film. If you haven't seen X-Men, get off the Multiverse and go see X-Men. Decent movie, no X-Men. 3/5

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, enjoyable, but not great... C+ seems to be the general concensus of most movie critics I've read for this, that includes comics geeks who complained about every single small deviation from their favorite version of Hal's origin, to mainstream movie people who were confused and bewildered, but ejoyed the pretty green lights.

Lordy my wallet hurts already, and the Summer movie season has barely begun.

I'll add another question in to those that have seen the movie: is it ok for kids (not too scary, will they enjoy it)? My daughter really wants to go see it with us.

I think the PG-13 rating is about right. If she can handle an X-Men-type movie or something like Sherlock Holmes, she should be okay.

My overall impression was decent. Not great, but not bad with what they had to work with. The Green Lantern mythos is pretty complicated to begin with and I think they did a fair job of cramming the origin into two hours without making it feel too jerky. Tomar Re and Sinestro were awesome! Kilowog could have been better. The OA stuff was amazing! Blake Lively: :yucky: It would have been nice if they did DEO agent Cameron Chase but Waller was enough, I guess. The 3D didn't really seem all that necessary but it was cool nonetheless. I'll have to see it again as I was slightly drunk by the end. Hooray for theaters with beer! Final rating: 7/10.

I'm a big GL fan, but the movie left me wanting something better. It had it's moments, but other than that, I really didn't care about any of the characters. Sinestro was the only one that made me smile that fan-boy smile, but his appearances were few and far between. All in all I was expecting something put together a little better. I'm going to go see it again with my nephews tomorrow (they will love it), but I'd rather be doing something else.

I'm a big GL fan, but the movie left me wanting something better. It had it's moments, but other than that, I really didn't care about any of the characters. Sinestro was the only one that made me smile that fan-boy smile, but his appearances were few and far between. All in all I was expecting something put together a little better. I'm going to go see it again with my nephews tomorrow (they will love it), but I'd rather be doing something else.

Yeah I understand what you mean. It was a pretty good movie... once. If they haven't seen X-Men I would say take them to that as that's the must see so far this summer.

Anyone see 3D? I know that the movie has some moments pretty clearly meant for it. Mostly close ups and some of the constructs. If you did, was it pretty good 3D?

Yeah I understand what you mean. It was a pretty good movie... once. If they haven't seen X-Men I would say take them to that as that's the must see so far this summer.

Anyone see 3D? I know that the movie has some moments pretty clearly meant for it. Mostly close ups and some of the constructs. If you did, was it pretty good 3D?

The 3D was okay, not Avatar quality, but okay. My understanding was (and I could be mistaken) that GL was filmed in 3D, yet at some points you almost don't realize it. I saw the trailer for Captain America in converted 3D and it looked better quality than GL. Weird as I've been told converted 3D is not a perfected technology and looks bad. Looked good to me. :confused:

Not seen GL yet but I'm going to no matter what the reviews say, I'm a sucker for superhero movies. This review from my fave movie review site is worth watching just for the Alien giving the ring over mickey take animation.

Saw it with the family this afternoon. Kids loved it. I throughly enjoyed it.

The cgi suits did not completely work. I get the effect they were going for, but they didn't quite pull it off. Oh they looked good when on completely cgi aliens, but even on the heavily made up SInestro they looked a little distractingly off.

And I think they rushed into the sequel a bit.

I would have prefered they delay Sinestro's heel turn until a much later, certainly not in an after credit scene. The dynamic between Jordan and Sinestro is strong and it would have been nice to see it explored more. And since the yellow power has been established by this movie as corrupting, it lessens Sinestro's own flaws leading to his fall.

But they didn't ask me.

Main problem was Blake Lively. Simply put, yeah she's nice to look at, but she lacks the spine I've always "seen" in Carol in the comics. And while she'll look hot in the Star Sapphire costume, that's about all she's gooc for.

But overall it's an enjoyable movie. Saw the 2D, but didn't feel like I missed much. I only saw a few parts that I thought would have been better in 3D.

Solid B. YMMV

And I think they rushed into the sequel a bit.

I would have prefered they delay Sinestro's heel turn until a much later, certainly not in an after credit scene. The dynamic between Jordan and Sinestro is strong and it would have been nice to see it explored more. And since the yellow power has been established by this movie as corrupting, it lessens Sinestro's own flaws leading to his fall.

But they didn't ask me.

I think it might still make for a good story if they

start off with Sinestro hiding the yellow ring and/or telling the Guardians that he destroyed it. Then they can do an "Emerald Dawn" type story and show him creating the means of his downfall. The second act could then be Hal exposing Sinestro to the Guardians who then exile him from the Corps. The third act would be Sinestro recovering the yellow ring which would lead to the final climactic battle between Sinestro and, after he plows through most of the Corps, Hal.

Or something along those lines.

Saw this movie today, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a pretty big GL fan, and while a few parts strayed a bit, i thought they held pretty true to the character. While not perfect, I'm still going to go see it a few more times while it's in theaters.. Anyone see it in 3D? Think I might try that next time..

Having seen it earlier, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Perhaps it wasn't Thor of X-Men:FC, but it was everything you could expect from a fun film about intergalactic law enforcers. I genuinely do not know what else they could have put in, Reynolds was an appropriately amusing Hal, Lively was pleasantly surprising as Carol. Theres been a lot of criticism of Hector Hammond in the press, but Pete Skarsgard is a lovely actor, and played the role set out for him perfectly, the 'origins first boss'.

Sinestro had plenty of screen time, the other lantern cameos were good fun. The pacing has also received a bit of a bashing, but was completely fine given what they were putting... I get the feeling the criticism is coming from simple folk who can't keep up with a simply plot.

Only criticisms... Parallax did look v.tacky, and as a result wasn't convincing as a serious threat... and yellow lanterns already? Not sure about that.

All in all, very pleasantly surprised, and highly recommended. It did have a similar feel to the 'old' original Superman films, a proper, straight up, larger than life superhero film, that isn't pretending to be anything it isn't... please do not listen to the silly criticism (from those sitting in the dark, huddled over their computers) and go enjoy yourself, unless you're expecting the Dark Knight or first Iron Man.

Well, it looks like the bad reviews and the (mostly) poor word of mouth were enough to sink GL, which will barely break $50 Million for it's opening weekend. I remain baffled at Warner Brothers' inability to exploit DC Comics properties on the big screen, save for Batman. I've always thought Green Lantern was the sleeping giant of super hero properties, with a sci-fi core just made for the big screen. How could they screw that up? :confused:

DC/WB: the big engine that can't. :angry:

that isn't horrendously less, but yeah... you'd assume they were hoping for more, what with the huge budget, and Ryan Reynolds's face on almost every advertsing poster in this entire country (saving a little room for Tomar... which was weird enough).

I have always been a die-hard DC man, long before I even knew what that meant... but buy so much more Marvel stuff these days, and the films have probably played a huge part in that. I'm so excited for the Avengers next year... but can't help but think a Justice League film would be a trainwreck

When has Ryan Reynolds ever equaled box office business. The first mistake was casting him thinking he would be bankable for a hero who the majority know nothing about. It's pretty sad that Daredevil and Incredible Hulk pulled more money without 3D ticket sales.

I'm a huge GL fan but the feedback is confirming what I thought. I just wish they wouldve cast more bankable star. Is there guarantee for a sequel?

I'm a huge GL fan but the feedback is confirming what I thought. I just wish they wouldve cast more bankable star. Is there guarantee for a sequel?

Well Lively is talking about being concerned how she'll stay in the Star Sapphire costume, so she at least seem to think so. (and confirms my suspisions as to why they cast her)

Reynolds actually gave a pretty strong performance throughout. Not as strong as Sinestro, but I wouldn't but the disappointing opening on his shoulders. I can't think of any actor right now who could both do a good job in the part and be a big anough draw by themselves to overcome the "who?" factor of being in DC's second tier.

Well Lively is talking about being concerned how she'll stay in the Star Sapphire costume, so she at least seem to think so. (and confirms my suspisions as to why they cast her)

Reynolds actually gave a pretty strong performance throughout. Not as strong as Sinestro, but I wouldn't but the disappointing opening on his shoulders. I can't think of any actor right now who could both do a good job in the part and be a big anough draw by themselves to overcome the "who?" factor of being in DC's second tier.

Honestly, I always saw Reynolds as a perfect Wally West Flash. Not surprised by Mark Strong being solid. Lively in Star Sapphire costume, hmmm I think I saw snippet of that on some cell phone pics.

Well, looks like they're rushing ahead with the sequel. Didn't they say they were going to film 2 and 3 together?

How very disappointing. Yet another DC non-Batman flop. Makes me laugh even harder at the "JLU will be opening the same weekend as the Avengers!" proclamation.

Honestly, I always saw Reynolds as a perfect Wally West Flash. Not surprised by Mark Strong being solid. Lively in Star Sapphire costume, hmmm I think I saw snippet of that on some cell phone pics.

There is one man who I would have liked to see above Reynolds in this role and that's Chris Pine. Reynolds does strike me as more Flashy, but he was pretty solid as the Green Lantern. However... f**k you Lively. In both senses of the word. YOu looked AMAZING... but please... Act... Act damn it.

Well, looks like they're rushing ahead with the sequel. Didn't they say they were going to film 2 and 3 together?

How very disappointing. Yet another DC non-Batman flop. Makes me laugh even harder at the "JLU will be opening the same weekend as the Avengers!" proclamation.

This I'm OK with. This movie would do well with a sequel. Hopefully a sequel where the director learns a fundamental truth: Earth is Boring. Thankfully it's looking like this sequel is going to be more of an internal Lantern Corps matter and maybe they'll stay the hell off of earth for a good bit of the movie, Blake Lively be damned.

I wasn't real impressed with the film. I try to be lenient in my judgement since origin stories can sometimes be lacking in action, but I just wasn't feeling it. Parallax was a wuss. A second part moving into the Sinestro Corps would be cool, but it may not happen since the film seems to be falling flat at the box office. Who knows...

This is one of two movies this year I REALLY want to see do well. The other is X-Men First Class. If this movie fails I doubt we'll be seeing many more DC films. Plus this movie could use a sequel as this has the potential to have a sequel that blows minds. Remember Star Trek TMP sucked donkey ass, but TWOK was amazing. If this fails I shudder to think what will come of anything past Man of Steel.

XMFC I want to succeed because it was just a great film. GL has great potential to become a juggernaut through later installments, XMFC was just a fantastic film. Most of the rest of the summer it doesn't matter if things succeed or fail. The Avengers is happening whether or not Cap and Thor blow open the box office. Harry Potter is ending as is Bay's Transformers trilogy. Who cares if we get a sequel to Cowboys and Aliens? (though having the characters in that fight other ridiculous things sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Cowboys and Zombies, Cowboys and Vampires, Cowboys and Werewolves. The possibilities are endless and any excuse for Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig's acting) And Cars 2 isn't going to murder Pixar. But the future of DC films rests on the Lantern and the chance of EVER seeing another X-Men movie that isn't Wolverine based is probably hinged on First Class. These movies need to succeed, if not for their own sake for the future's.

I think you're overstating the importance of Green Lantern, but only slightly. It's one of situations not unlike a mid-level team making the playoffs.

See, there is still a very good chance this movie will ultimately make money, if only from the huge amount of merchandising out there. (Lee's Hulk movie did, and it was a much weaker IMO, less kid friendly movie) If GL turns a profit despite a weak opening, then we're still okay. But if the Superman reboot also underperforms, then yes the future of non-Bat DC films will be set back many years. If Supes does well... then GL's stumble will be forgotten.

And hey, they made a sequel to Fantastic Four didn't they? I didn't say they made a good sequel, but they made one.

I think you're overstating the importance of Green Lantern, but only slightly. It's one of situations not unlike a mid-level team making the playoffs.

See, there is still a very good chance this movie will ultimately make money, if only from the huge amount of merchandising out there. (Lee's Hulk movie did, and it was a much weaker IMO, less kid friendly movie) If GL turns a profit despite a weak opening, then we're still okay. But if the Superman reboot also underperforms, then yes the future of non-Bat DC films will be set back many years. If Supes does well... then GL's stumble will be forgotten.

And hey, they made a sequel to Fantastic Four didn't they? I didn't say they made a good sequel, but they made one.

Yeah I may be overstating it...

However there is a lot more riding on it than most movies this summer.

As for Rise of the Silver Surfer I think it was a damn sight better than the first movie, and the biggest mistake was continuing to cast that awful actor who played Dr. Doom.