UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern: The Movie

minimadman

Isn't there an animated Green Lantern movie due at SDCC?

To be honest going by the last few DC animation movies I have seen it could be ok, the only one I haven't liked was Wonder Woman

I found Wonder Woman somewhat likeable, but I don't think the problem is with the movie, I think it's with the character. WW might be in DC's big three, but how many people (fans included) know much about her? If you look at Batman and Superman, they've got a main villian and a lot of other villians that are almost as recognizable as they are. Who does Wonder Woman have that people know? Wonder Woman is too steeped in mythology to be relavant for today's crowd and I don't think there's enough interesting depth in her character to really attract people to her beyond the pop culture icon that she is.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there an animated Green Lantern movie due at SDCC?

To be honest going by the last few DC animation movies I have seen it could be ok, the only one I haven't liked was Wonder Woman

I found Wonder Woman somewhat likeable, but I don't think the problem is with the movie, I think it's with the character. WW might be in DC's big three, but how many people (fans included) know much about her? If you look at Batman and Superman, they've got a main villian and a lot of other villians that are almost as recognizable as they are. Who does Wonder Woman have that people know? Wonder Woman is too steeped in mythology to be relavant for today's crowd and I don't think there's enough interesting depth in her character to really attract people to her beyond the pop culture icon that she is.

Agreed.

• 2 months later...
So Jackie earl Haley is apparently going to be Sinestro. sigh.

And Superman, it seems, is to cameo. Sigh the sequel.

I like the idea that DC is crossing their characters over. I don't know why they haven't been doing it all along. Marvel hasn't because until now they did not really have control over their characters but WB has owned DC for a dog's age. Why don't you like Superman T42?

I like the idea that DC is crossing their characters over. I don't know why they haven't been doing it all along. Marvel hasn't because until now they did not really have control over their characters but WB has owned DC for a dog's age. Why don't you like Superman T42?

Well it's not that I dislike Superman. I, in fact, love Superman. My problem is that they are willing to shoehorn him in a Green Lantern movie, but it seems he doesn't have his own space in the film pantheon. It's more or less doing him a disservice, putting him in other movies instead of concentrating in getting the man who is arguably DC's biggest star out of Development Hell. I just don't think that, if this is going to continue, he should become the DC Nick Fury: in everybody's movie except his own.

Also I dislike submitting another to the curse. Unless they bring back Brandon Routh. Which they should, but probably won't.

The movie just pulled out of Australia. Even with the casting annoucements, I'll believe this movie is going to get made when shooting actually starts. WB does not have a great track record with non-Bat projects and after the Wonder Woman, JLA, and Flash fiascoes, coupled with the now collapse of the Superman franchise, I have no faith they'll get their act together.

Really, really want to be wrong.

Well it's not that I dislike Superman. I, in fact, love Superman. My problem is that they are willing to shoehorn him in a Green Lantern movie, but it seems he doesn't have his own space in the film pantheon. It's more or less doing him a disservice, putting him in other movies instead of concentrating in getting the man who is arguably DC's biggest star out of Development Hell. I just don't think that, if this is going to continue, he should become the DC Nick Fury: in everybody's movie except his own.

Also I dislike submitting another to the curse. Unless they bring back Brandon Routh. Which they should, but probably won't.

I agree but WB is just now getting their ducks in a row as far as the films go. I liked Superman Returns for the most part and I really like Brandon Routh. He and Frank Langella are two things that Brian Singer got right. I think that step one is to recast everyone except Langella and Routh Elizabeth Banks or Rachel McAdams would be perfect for Lois Lane. Step two is giving him a villan that he can fight. Not mentally like he does with Luthor but an all out destructive brawl, Doomsday, Metallo, Zod hell it could be Luthor wearing some sort of this lex%20luthor2.jpg

Action, action, action. It can be done.

Here is a glimour of hope in the Jackie Earl Haley casting news from CHUD.

Scoopers, I love you. But I don't love when you send me a scoop that you're sending to 30 other sites at the same time. So the excitement I got from opening my email Friday night to find a Green Lantern scoop quickly evaporated when I saw the dude had sent the same scoop to Harry at Ain't It Cool.

The scoop?Jackie Earl Haley is up for the role of the villain in Green Lantern. Now, I don't actually know if my source is the same as Harry's, as mine tells me 'the villain' while Harry says 'Sinestro'http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42742 and my understanding is that at this stage of the game Hector Hammond is the villain in Green Lantern, not Sinestro, who may go bad by the end of the movie.

Could that be why Haley told Collider that this was the first he heard of being cast as Sinestro? After going through this business with Watchmen and A Nightmare on Elm Street, Jackie's an old pro about the importance of keeping us in the dark on this stuff, and he may have learned the gangster's skill of double-speaking without lying

If this is true I think that he is great casting for Hector Hammond. Can't wait for something official.

Edited by minimadman

ooOOOOooooh!

Now see, Hector Hammond I can totally get behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i'm sold. Sure, it IS fake, but seeing Reynolds looked appropriately "aged" as Hal just works. Hair being slightly greying is also nice.

2d70up.jpg

I'm getting my hopes a little too high for Ryan, because i still think he is very poor casting in regards to his acting and personality, but he does fit the look. More so than the Kyle-looking picture, anyway.

Well, i'm sold. Sure, it IS fake, but seeing Reynolds looked appropriately "aged" as Hal just works. Hair being slightly greying is also nice.

2d70up.jpg

I'm getting my hopes a little too high for Ryan, because i still think he is very poor casting in regards to his acting and personality, but he does fit the look. More so than the Kyle-looking picture, anyway.

I knew you'd come around.

2d70up.jpg

Notice the bolded words. ;)

He facially is Hal. He ain't Hal Jordan by any other means. I refuse to change that position until i see him in action. and EVEN THEN, i'll probably say the same:

Ryan Reynold's is not Hal Jordan.

2d70up.jpg

He facially is Hal. He ain't Hal Jordan by any other means. I refuse to change that position until i see him in action. and EVEN THEN, i'll probably say the same:

notice the bold underlined and italicized words. you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either you're sold or you're not i don't think you can be both.

2d70up.jpg

notice the bold underlined and italicized words. you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either you're sold or you're not i don't think you can be both.

Haha i guess not. :P Okay, I'm sold on the APPEARANCE...IF they can make him look old the way X-men handled Stewart and McKellen look young. His acting sucks and doesn't fit Hal, but he certainly looks the part.

Again, sold on the LOOKS. ;)

• 5 months later...

so i take it we've all seen the numerous official concept pictures that have been released, such as Sinestro, Kilowog, a Guardian, Tomar and Abin Sur... if not, they're not hard to find on a google search... 'green lantern movie concept art'

but... this is fairly new, Peter Sarsgaard is make-up... supposedly this is fairly on in his transformation, and gets a lot worse throughout the fim. looks horrible... in a good way, v.comic accurate.

Peter-Sarsgaard-0510-7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

WB has hired the guys who wrote Green Lantern (Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim) to start work on Green Lantern 2 and The Flash. I am fans of work that those guys have done in the past so I think that this is good news.

thats v.good news indeed, presumably we'll see the fall and rise of Sinestro in that one then

as for the Flash, brilliant that this is going ahead... has the potential to be incredible. I know its a v.old rumour, but i'd still love to see Neil Patrick Harris as Barry

thats v.good news indeed, presumably we'll see the fall and rise of Sinestro in that one then

as for the Flash, brilliant that this is going ahead... has the potential to be incredible. I know its a v.old rumour, but i'd still love to see Neil Patrick Harris as Barry

Gotta say, NPH as Barry?? YES. Please!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter-Sarsgaard-0510-7.jpg

Anyone else think this looks way too much like the new guy playing Dr Who! :)

As of the movie... I'm a pretty big GL fan but with the casting so far... I dont think I'm going to bother seeing it.

T.