UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Board Games!

I'm a huge fan of board games, so I thought I would start a topic on the subject. I'm always looking for new games to play with friends and family. A couple years ago I became a Eurogame nut.

I am really interested in getting Pandemic. It features "co-operative play". All players work together to win and stop disease outbreaks across the world.

Favorite Board Games:

The Settlers of Catan (hugely popular during family get-togethers around the holidays!)

Axis and Allies

Risk (the new versions intrigue me)

Cranium

Balderdash

Arkadia

What do you play and recommend?

I love board games!

The ones I own that i play the most are pretty much the popular ones.

Risk (my all-time favorite game)

Monopoly

Scene-It

Stratego

LIFE

I got Apples to Apples for Christmas, and that game is really growing on me too. :)

I hear that MadGab if pretty fun, anybody have that game?

Oh my I love board games! Probably one of my favorite things to do with a group of friends, hurm so favorites:

Clue( i recently played this at four in the morning with some friends...I didn't win)

Castle Risk

Apples to Apples

Monoploly...if you are willing to spend a couple hours on one game

Banagrams...it is an offshoot of Scrabble which is fun aswell.

Cranium (Kadoo, Pop 5, etc)

Catch Phraise

Basically anygame that can get wild with atleast four people is sure to be fun.

My sister and I tried playing Pokemon Monopoly (PokeMonopoly? :blink:) once, we could never actually finish a game. Same with Cranium, I think.

We have all these neat Harry Potter board games at home: there's one based on Clue, a Diagon Alley one where you buy items with plastic Galleons/Sickles/Knuts, and a trivia one designed to look like a miniature Quidditch match :D

There was also this game my family loved playing a long time ago: it was called "By Jove" and it was inspired by Greek/Roman mythology. I loved this game, I would've never learned about Atalanta, the Lotus-Eaters and the monster Scylla without it :)

BTW, another fun game we used to play with our cousins was Bunco.

Edited by NorthRaider

We have all these neat Harry Potter board games at home: there's one based on Clue, a Diagon Alley one where you buy items with plastic Galleons/Sickles/Knuts, and a trivia one designed to look like a miniature Quidditch match :D
Ooooh, I loved those Harry Potter games! I used to play almost everyday, but now, I play more TCGs than Board Games.

There is one board game my brother and I made: It was a Yu-Gi-Oh!/Dungeon Dice Monsters mix, it's not that bad ;)

The Settlers of Catan (hugely popular during family get-togethers around the holidays!)

That is a GREAT game. It's always a hit with family and friends.

Apples to Apples is fun at family get-togethers.

Otherwise, it's the classics: Risk (I love the LOTR version), Axis and Allies, Monopoly, Scrabble, Clue, and Trivial Pursuit.

Edited by Turtle

I didn't know that there is a category in the US going by that name. Wiki even says it's called "German-style board game" which is kind of funny. But I must admit that the games I really love to play are in fact games by German inventors. Those strategy-fun-family kind of games like Settlers of Catan. (There is also a very unique 2 player adaption of Settlers oc Catan available in Germany, but I did not find it on amazon.com.) Quite similar games that I do know, play, like and found the English version for are Carcassonne (the blue one with some extensions) and Clans.

In two player strategy games I do live the Belgian GIPF games, especially Tzaar. Those have nice concepts and a good for some short rounds of gameplay while have a cup of tea. But they really are strategy games.

And the ultimate party game in my circle of friends is definitely The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. An originialy russian conversation game that is just unbelievable!

I am really interested in getting Pandemic. It features "co-operative play". All players work together to win and stop disease outbreaks across the world.

In fact I just received that game but didn't have the chance to play it yet. I'll let you know.

I didn't know that there is a category in the US going by that name. Wiki even says it's called "German-style board game" which is kind of funny.

Europe is light years ahead of America in board game development. Americans are stuck playing games invented in the 1960s or earlier (Monopoly, Risk, Clue, etc). Thankfully European board games are making their way over here, finally. We just aren't seeing them in the big box retail stores yet.

Board games offer a style of play that a video game can never has yet to offer - face-to-face social interactions with a group of people. People of all ages love the Eurostyle board games. They are so well designed, and the artwork is usually pretty good.

If you consider yourself a "gamer" of any sort, you must try some of the Eurogames.

I own Carcasonne but haven't played it yet. I do like the "meeples" though! I will check out your recommendations, thanks!

If your extended family likes Settlers, then Carcassonne is a must-play. And yes, the meeples are half the fun!

Pandemic is worth every excellent review.

And while we're talking co-op games, Shadows Over Camelot is a real nail-biter.

Couple of weekends ago we took a spin with Galaxy Trucker. Silly name, very expensive game due the excellent components, but quite a good play. Recommend it to gamer types, not the family types. ;)

And speaking of such, I see my life-long favorite: Cosmic Encounter, is being published again. DO NOT pass this one up (although, again, you need people willing to go beyond family fun).

There you go, JP, we just burned all your free time through July. :D

[edit] Oh, simple but fun, with unique mechanics that the family will like: Niagara [/edit]

Edited by Cappy

• 1 month later...

I know this thread has gone quiet but thought I'd confess...

I also have a boardgame "habit", I have about 50 ( give or take) boardgames and have pretty much every thing mentioned above.

I "make" my G/F play something at least once every few days and have monthly boardgame nights for those games that need more people

My current most played list is:

Race for the Galaxy ( Thanks cappy for pushing me into buying this one!)

Memoir 44 ( It's like playing toy soldiers with proper rules and my G/F likes it so win/win)

Pandemic ( Gets a lot of play esp with people who dont play boardgames as you can nurse them through it easily)

Battle for Hill 218 ( Very cheap fun 2 player card game, simple to learn scary depth, goes everywhere in a pocket for quick games on the go)

Survive! ( old old Parker brothers game out of print but a lot of fun)

Ticket to Ride Europe ( another easy to learn game for boardgame novices)

Drakon 3rd Edition ( simple fun screw the other players tile game)

Currently needing to be played more list:

Battlestar Galactica ( MY group kind of liked it but it was too long to setup and play)

A Game of Thrones ( Finding time with the right number of people is tricky!)

Formula De ( Takes ages and I really want to set up a 'season' but need more tracks)

Space Hulk ( Thanks BHM! sadly my G/F wont touch this one so it's only had a few plays)

And I have a copy of Cosmic Encounter on the way... which is way more fun than it really should be with the right crowd.

If this thread comes back to life I'll share more lists such as my "most wanted" and the "stay clear of" lists ;)

T.

Years ago and I do mean years ago I used to work in a games shop the boss was majorly into historical wargames and didn't really go for anything else but he did do a roaring trade in second hand AD&D, Warhammer etc anything that he would buy at shows then pass on and thats what I was into. Being there I was lucky enough to get into CCG's when Magic started. I loved Magic when it first started the ability to play a game which just something you could carry in your pocket, simple to get into then the strategy starts. I was also lucky with MTG with seeing the singles market and getting in on that.

Anyway back to games I remember seeing Settlers for the first time and being blown away by it compared to boardgames in the UK basicly Risk and Monopoly and that was it. I even got to go to Essen Spiel a few times to pick up the latest Euro boardgames and play a few with the creators trying to sell their latest games. Always gets me how nearly every other country can learn to speak English fluently as a second language but in the UK its really hard to get our kids to learn any.

I'll have to go and look through my boardgames for some recomendations as I was more of a RPG person.

I used to play Blood Bowl til the kids thought it could float in water. Been itching to try Dungeon Twister.

Oddly I have dungeon twister but haven't ever hada chance to play it. My G/F who is my main non-group-games playing partner doesn't like D&D themed games so there is very little chance I will get to play it.

T.

p.s. If anyone has any questions about any of these games ( or pretty much any game ever) www.boardgamegeek.com is THE place to go for info, that place blows my mind!

Settlers of Catan is the greatest board game I've ever played. My friends and I are hooked.

Timbo, if your group even partially liked BSG, look into Shadows Over Camelot -- perhaps the best cooperative game out there. We've only been through BSG once, I get the feeling it plays best with 1) experienced players and 2) sneaky, back-stabbing friends.

Hey - we just broke out ol' 1st edition Drakon last Sunday. Stopped playing when Mrs Cappy kept winning...

Memoir 44 story: the Second Son is getting big into military history, strategy and tactics and all that. Enough that Heroscape doesn't quite fill his needs. So I set out to buy Memoir 44, found a slightly-punched copy at a game store for half price. For some unknown reason, I didn't buy it just then, but came back two days later. Of course, the game was gone, you saw that coming. What really ticked me off was it was being bought and bagged literally as I walked into the store. Ten minutes earlier and it would have been mine! I'm still so pissed that I refuse to buy the game now. heh

So, I've one big question: does this strange "G/F" acronym have anything to do with TBT's long absence? (This is the first forum I hit today, maybe I should go read some others...) :) Welcome home, Timbo, I've been missing you. *sniff*

Edited by Cappy

My wife won her first Settlers of Catan game two weeks ago, and now she's a freaking addict. She has me making a 3D set this weekend. My poor Minimate customs are getting shoved aside again.

Funny shirt.

Edit: And I got Pandemic a few weeks ago but have yet to play it. Settlers of Catan keeps winning the vote with my game group.

Edited by Jatta Pake

• 1 month later...

I love Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit (I can never get anyone to play the SW version with me though because well they just get their trash kicked), I also really like dice and card games. My kids are always wanting to play things like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders so we recently found some alternatives that the kids like that my wife and I can stand playing too. There is Sleeping Queens and Yahtzee Turbo.