UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantastic Four Movie... Reboot?

NorthRaider

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm not going to lie, the thought that we might be getting a good sci-fi film out of this rather than another superhero action spectacle is welcome.

If I had to choose between a film that took the right tonal approach but sucked (see: the original FF films) and a film that got the essence of the franchise totally wrong but was quite good on its own merits (possibly the case here), then I will take the latter. But, that's going to hold a movie back in my mind, because my primary interest is due to my affinity for the comics. If they want to crap on the comics too much (see: Man of Steel), then I would rather they go with an original franchise, even if it's derivative. And I'll be a bit unfair and biased in my view of the movie because of that, because I'm not going to the theaters or renting the movie because I want to see an entertaining sci-fi action movie. I want to see a good Fantastic Four movie. But. . .it is what it is. Ultimately, all the fan complaints here won't amount to too much IMO. The key for comic films really is to appeal to the "average," casual moviegoer, and if they can do that then they'll be fine no matter what the geek contingent thinks. Edited by karamazov80

There's also a lot of hate for the movie based specifically on the comments from the director and actors involved. But if you're determined to twist any criticisms to make them seem silly I guess you could miss that too.

When the comments are taken out of context and twisted to suit a prejudice, opinions based upon them deserve to be ridiculed, especially when they were formed long before a frame of footage was seen.

Maybe you could post the list of PL-approved criticisms next time and save everyone the hassle? You know, just so we don't miss this magical "context" and sound so ridiculous.

All future criticisms should focus exclusively on what has been seen in the trailer. Tangential criticisms based on statements of the director, actors, producers, and any other parties officially associated with the criticisee will be allowed only in the event that the criticisor cites to such original statement in its complete, unabridged form. Failure to comply with these terms of criticism will render the critique invalid. All criticisors who feel their criticisms have been unfairly invalidated hereby agree to enter into binding mediation to settle any and all disputes as to the validity of such a criticism.

All future criticisms should focus exclusively on what has been seen in the trailer. Tangential criticisms based on statements of the director, actors, producers, and any other parties officially associated with the criticisee will be allowed only in the event that the criticisor cites to such original statement in its complete, unabridged form. Failure to comply with these terms of criticism will render the critique invalid. All criticisors who feel their criticisms have been unfairly invalidated hereby agree to enter into binding mediation to settle any and all disputes as to the validity of such a criticism.

Sounds overly critical

http://youtu.be/xwdba9C2G14

Your argument is invalid.

Only issue I have with Johnny is that it forces the unnecessary "Sue is adopted" plot point. Totally out of left field.

Let me preface this by saying I think the movie would have been better served to have a black Sue Storm. There are plenty of wonderful, deserving actress out there who would have been perfect for it and a solid interracial romantic relationship at the center of a superhero summer blockbuster would have been a great step forward in, you know, social progressive ways or whatever.

That said, Sue being adopted really does make sense from a story and theme perspective.

At it's heart, the Fantastic Four is about a group of people who become a family through circumstance. Sure they might have been friends and/or lovers before the accident, but they were forced to be closer after that accident. They could have all split up, but instead they chose to make their friendships into something deeper and become family.

And yeah, that kinda works when the Storms are biological siblings, but it makes the choice a little more deliberate if they're not. Further, by making Sue the adopted one, they're giving her the agency to accept or deny this new family as opposed to being the designated den mother.

At least, that's what I'm hoping comes out of this Sue being Adopted nonsense.

And for the record, I still think the movie seems like a steaming pile. If it's worse than the Tim Story movies is still debatable.

Turtle gets it. highfive2.gif

Only issue I have with Johnny is that it forces the unnecessary "Sue is adopted" plot point. Totally out of left field.

Let me preface this by saying I think the movie would have been better served to have a black Sue Storm. There are plenty of wonderful, deserving actress out there who would have been perfect for it and a solid interracial romantic relationship at the center of a superhero summer blockbuster would have been a great step forward in, you know, social progressive ways or whatever.

That said, Sue being adopted really does make sense from a story and theme perspective.

At it's heart, the Fantastic Four is about a group of people who become a family through circumstance. Sure they might have been friends and/or lovers before the accident, but they were forced to be closer after that accident. They could have all split up, but instead they chose to make their friendships into something deeper and become family.

And yeah, that kinda works when the Storms are biological siblings, but it makes the choice a little more deliberate if they're not. Further, by making Sue the adopted one, they're giving her the agency to accept or deny this new family as opposed to being the designated den mother.

At least, that's what I'm hoping comes out of this Sue being Adopted nonsense.

And for the record, I still think the movie seems like a steaming pile. If it's worse than the Tim Story movies is still debatable.

I agree with much of what you've said. I wanted Sue and Johnny to be biological siblings because that's what I was used to. But family is what you make it. Ben Grimm isn't related by blood or marriage and he's always been part of Marvel's First Family so I thought, so what if Sue and Johnny aren't the same color?

And I like what Trank said: "I didn't choose to make Johnny black. I chose to make Michael Johnny."

This movie may end up being terrible. I won't know until I see it because I'm still getting a lot more positive energy from it than, say, Superman Returns which was flawed from the initial concept of a "loose sequel" to a movie made in the 1970s.

While I didn't share their enthusiasm, my reaction to the teaser generally echoes what these guys had to say about it:

http://youtu.be/PPrOptFVmTQ

I think the trailer is pretty good actually, and can see this being a good movie. But I can't get behind the kind of tone they're setting for this specific franchise. Similar to what they did for Man of Steel, it just feels all kinds of wrong.

I've seen trailers edited to look like anything from a horror movie to a chick flick simply by changing the music and choosing different footage.

I really think the message here is, "This is NOT another Tim Story FF flick."

If there's more variety to the tone in the movie, I'm sure the studio will mix it into the next trailer to assuage fans' fears. For what it's worth, most non-fans I've talked to prefer this tone over the Power Rangers, made-for-TV-movie feel of the last two.

The Incredibles is still the bar to top, as far as I'm concerned. As a Libra, I like balance. :)

I'm really going more on the words of the director himself than the trailer (though the trailer reinforces his own comments), but of course they could be doing something more with this than what he's let on so far. I read elsewhere that one of the producers said this would have a vibe similar to Raimi's Spider-Man(?). I also realize that 95%+ of the audience for this won't have specific knowledge and affinity for classic FF driving their interest in an FF movie as it will for me and a smattering of others. So the key is to make a movie that appeals to as large an audience as possible. Apparently they think the FF franchise tag has some value, but otherwise are seemingly taking pretty extensive liberties and doing their own thing (Doom as computer hacker, young group, black Johnny, Cronenberg as an influence), and power to them for doing that. As I think I posted here before, I will take a good movie that I can't really consider Fantastic Four over a crappy movie that I can (such as Story's films).

Edited by karamazov80

I'd still love to see a Fantastic Four movie set in the early 60s with that sci-fi/monster movie feel. But again, that's the domain of The Incredibles now. I wish Fox had taken it back.

Or a 50's horror film with The Mole Man. Great, creepy fun.

I'm sure they want to keep thing contemporary so they can mash it with X-Men.

• 2 months later...

I think the first trailer was cut better but this one definitely showed us more of the plot and thankfully, the team in action (which looks awesome!)

favorite things about this reboot so far:

1. The Thing looks incredible, intimating, BIG, and non-human yet still has blue eyes, firing on all cylinders for me

l2tuTN7.gif

2. Sue's powers look incredible this time around, offensive and defensive, she can fly! Im hoping shes as bad ass as she looks in the trailers

ZMHGVtP.gif

3. Michael B Jordan is a ringer for Johnny Storms personality, and looks fantastic flamed on

GW3MI6i.gif

4. Reed looks good when stretching, looks clunky when not

jVPrVDy.gif

5. Cant wait to see Doom's origin in the film, if its anything like the rumors, I am very excited!

81OWNAt.gif

This trailer looks better than the previous one, but it was just way too long. It felt like it just kept going and going. I will admit that Jordan looks like he should make for a decent Johnny. Not feeling the rest though. I still don't have much desire to see it. Just looks rather bland.

I like it way better than the other stuff we've seen. We already know it's not going to be classic FF, so that's not my expectation. My best hope at this point is that the tone isn't wholly inappropriate. And in the new trailer it's not nearly as dour and grim as what we saw previously.