UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantastic Four Movie... Reboot?

NorthRaider

So I just watched FF2 and it hit me. At the end of the fight Victor gets dumped in the ocean!!!

I was actually wondering about this as well. Pretty lame way to off a villain in the middle of a space invasion. :lol:

Now I don't know how far off this would stray, but what if Doom convinces Namor about how evil the surface world is, and in the end Sue changes his mind. I mean, I could see that working.

If the hypothetical FF sequel with Namor in it is a hit, that might bode well for the Sub-Mariner movie...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I don't know how far off this would stray, but what if Doom convinces Namor about how evil the surface world is, and in the end Sue changes his mind. I mean, I could see that working.

If the hypothetical FF sequel with Namor in it is a hit, that might bode well for the Sub-Mariner movie...

And after that, perhaps they could make a movie about the Invaders...

We're going to have a Captain America in WWII movie. I could see the Cap movie showing other characters like Namor, even if they're in cameo. Hell, Namor FOUND the Capcicle. Having him in there or in The Avengers as a threat isn't too far-fetched is it? Wait... the Avengers as a threat... Inspiration! Namor and Atlantis can be the villains for The Avengers. They've had to deal with him before right? He'd make a great villain for the movie. Then we do another movie about an insurrecion against the Atlantean throne (as you just don't kill Namor. He's a king!) and that's his movie, but people will know of him as a sympathetic villain from Avengers who need no real introduction. And for the Sue character that I'm sure is necessary, use The Wasp.

Could it work?

Last I heard, Namor is under license by a different studio. Fox can't use that character. If this F4 Film gets tied in with the new Marvel studios story (Hulk, IM, Avengers, etc) I might be excited. Also, how will the actors from the first two films feel after signing on for three films if they are not picked for the new film. I think a reboot of a F4 movie will be stuck in legal limbo for a while before it even begins toget filmed.

I say screw the whole F4 film and bring us the Silver Surfer movie we were once promised.

All hail Galactus?

• 4 years later...

The FF reboot just got pushed back to June 2015.

Reportedly this one's going for the same Ultimate flavor that helped Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man become so successful so expect a much younger cast.

Personally, I'd rather see rights go back to Marvel Studios so they can have tie-ins with Avengers and SHIELD and the upcoming Defenders TV shows but there are rumors that crossovers with Fox's X-franchises are being considered.

The only problem with Marvel Studios is that they have so much on their plate right now, would they even bother giving the FF much attention if they got those rights? I love the Fantastic Four, particularly the John Byrne run, and just want to see those characters done justice on the screen. If a younger cast doesn't detract from that, then I'm all for it, but I think Reed has to be older and more accomplished than Sue and Johnny, anyway.

yes they would. Marvel Studios MAY have a lot on their plate but the Fantastic Four click so well into their universe its crazy, it could even fit in phase 3 (which would be impressively quick)

it wont happen though, Fox/Sony/whoever will hold the license with its last breathe

• 2 months later...

They wouldn't. THEY WOULDN'T.

Okay I'm perfectly, PERFECTLY fine with Emmy Rossum playing Invisible Woman if she gets it but there's no way they'd genderbend Doctor Doom. It just wouldn't work. Race-bending I'm okay with as it can work and keep the basic dynamic of the character. Asian Doctor Doom could work. Black Human Torch can work (especially if Michael B. Jordan stays attached) but making the character a female changes entirely how the character thinks and acts. It'd be like making Black Cat a guy. It changes the dynamic and the relationships of the character. Hell could they resist making Reed/Doom/Sue love triangle? Would they even be able to write a female Doom without making her a spurned lover? No. Hollywood doesn't work like that. Doom as a spurned lover has happened anyway. It was called the last Fantastic Four movie. And it sucked giant red horse testicles. They... they should not do that thing.

I don't have that much of a problem with it. I didn't have an issue with MCD playing Kingpin, or when they turned Loki into a woman.

It'd be like making Black Cat a guy.

Okay, never mind.

Hell could they resist making Reed/Doom/Sue love triangle? Would they even be able to write a female Doom without making her a spurned lover? No. Hollywood doesn't work like that. Doom as a spurned lover has happened anyway. It was called the last Fantastic Four movie.

Yeah, they wouldn't be able to resist. That's the first place my mind went. I keep hoping for more of a soft reboot than a hard one anyways. Perhaps she could be Doom's daughter or something, instead of actual Doctor Doom, going with the soft reboot idea.

I loved MCD as Kingpin. Perfect actor for the role in my opinion. I also really love Idris Elba as Heimdall. Quite frankly, I have to say Johnny is to only member of the team I just can't see being black. I'm afraid that some of his character traits might seem a offensive if applied to the only non-white member of the team, which might result in those traits being dropped, and the character becoming more bland, which would be a great disservice to the character. But, I could be wrong. I'm not so much worried about the actor, more about the material he'll be given to work with.

I honestly am more worried about the idea of a female Doom. I have to agree with Trekker and Dinobot and their concerns about the spurned lover angle. I'm also worried that they'll end up changing the character to meet more classically female sensibilities, i.e. less armor, more reserved personality. And they already did that to Doom once before...

Quite frankly, I have to say Johnny is to only member of the team I just can't see being black. I'm afraid that some of his character traits might seem a offensive if applied to the only non-white member of the team, which might result in those traits being dropped, and the character becoming more bland, which would be a great disservice to the character. But, I could be wrong. I'm not so much worried about the actor, more about the material he'll be given to work with.

Going by Friday Night Lights and Chronicle, I'm guessing they want Michael B. Jordan for Johnny *because* he's great at playing up those cocky/self-absorbed traits while keeping a character very real and likeable.

And if the script is already finished and they're only now considering switching Doom's gender, I think it could work, kind of like Ripley back in the day. They just need to avoid rewriting it to focus on the switch.

• 2 weeks later...

MBJ and Jamie Bell are the only two I know anything about. And Jordan is just an excellent choice, black or white. Guy just owns that kind of character. As for Bell... I dunno. Guy strikes me more as Doctor Doom than as the Thing. Thing should be a bit older than the rest of the team and Bell just doesn't seem to be... that. At all. However I think Jamie Bell could be a really cool Doctor Doom. Not what we'd expect out of him, but a cool one nonetheless.

I won't get into the whole miscasting thing here, but I DO know that they acquired actors that accepted the lowest offer. This will be, by far, up there with the worst Marvel movies next to the other Fox masterpieces.

I honestly believe superhero movies are going to die off soon because of stuff like this. It's an inevitable pattern where a thing is being so over exposed that it has to crash. It sounds crazy now because we're at the peak, but it's going to crash and crash hard. I understand I'm saying things that won't happen for years but it's how trends in films work, eventually they become so low in quality that they die off (for the best).

I think I've crossed the line on this movie where I honestly have no opinion on what happens from here. I... I just.... I can't....

I have no baseline from which to judge any of these people personally. They don't look like any FF team I would cast, maybe apart from Sue. But we'll see. Will be hard to be worse than what they did before, so I'll just cross fingers and wish these guys luck.