UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantastic Four Movie... Reboot?

NorthRaider

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very least, it is by default the best Fantastic Four movie ever made.

If it isn't, then it's in truly deep doo-doo! I could film the roof outside my window for a couple of hours and it would at least beat the Story films and rival the Corman one.

I gotta be honest, I didn't really find Man of Steel to be a good anything movie. Superman, action, super hero, sci-fi... any of it. But that's just me.

*symbolic reputation point to Glantern*

• 3 months later...

With all the prejudice against this movie from the start, I don't blame Fox one bit for keeping it from professional reviewers who generally don't rate this genre very highly and internet haters who will latch onto any bit of negativity they can to magnify it a thousandfold.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Miles Teller (who hasn't seen it either) says it's not going to be critically well-received, though he claims it's rare with "films of this size." Even a quick look at Rotten Tomatoes would show that's nonsense, but, hey, I guess you do whatever you need to do to spin. He also says it's not "soulless, popcorn action" which is comforting because I thought maybe the cast and crew might stop being condescending jerks before the film was released.

aside from the behind the scenes drama and the interacial storm family and the stories of doom, I will say the neg zone looks awesome, super missed opp for annihilus, and even though it may look cool in some ways, the cast hasnt seen the movie, they may have acted their asses off, but the director and editing can still make a good looking piece of shit. If it doesnt flow and the editing jumps around and the story sucks like revenge of the fallen, then it will bomb.

Fox didn't want the cast to see it, they'd be depressed and not want to do interviews to hype the movie like 50 the Shades of Grey disaster. Yet people will still watch and it somehow defend it.

Son of a WHORE.

Why can't you get a good movie out of four of the greatest characters to grace the pop cultural consciousness when you give it to a director who made one of the coolest movies of the last 5 years!? Especially when you populate it with a cast of undeniably good people?

Fucking dammit.

I'll have to drop my own opinion once I've seen it. But at least I'll be seeing Dragonball Z that same day so maybe that'll ease the pain.

I feel bad for the cast, all of them are very talented. Hoping this doesn't do big business, and Fox and Marvel hash out a deal like Marvel and Sony. Although I'd probably not prefer a clean reboot, perhaps they could keep the cast and integrate them into the MCU.

Will still see this movie, but will wait for the DVD. As a side note, has anyone been listening to the Josh Trank interviews on the Kevin Smith podcasts? I'm sure he's not the only one in Hollywood, but the guy is up his own ass.

Based on the gap between Rise of the Silver Surfer and this one, Fox can sit on the FF rights until 2022 to begin production on yet another reboot. They waited until the last minute to rush this one into production last year to retain the rights so there's no reason to think they'll change the formula.

Grantland had a good piece on the FF today:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/family-first-is-the-new-fantastic-four-movie-the-end-of-the-fantastic-four/

I personally feel like the "they're anachronistic in today's comics landscape" argument to be a copout. There's a lot of writers out there that don't understand the FF and what makes them unique, particularly Mark Millar. But Hickman seemed to (mostly) figure it out, and there are several other writers I feel would be able to turn out worthwhile Fantastic Four comics. I hope they get the chance, someday.