UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fantastic Four Movie... Reboot?

NorthRaider

It's still by Fox, though. <_<

Article says there's been some buzz about rebooting Daredevil and Planet of the Apes (sort of) too. What was the last reboot we've seen, Christopher Nolan's Batman movies? Superman Returns? Punisher (sort of :blink:)? Looks pretty 50-50, but if they're taking their cue from Iron Man then maybe it's a good thing.

As for the FF reboot... well, when a bunch of us started talking about this on Multiply, for some odd reason the possibility of a movie appearance by the Inhumans popped up. It appears that the Philippines (or at least its legion of devoted comic book geeks) is Black Bolt country :lol:

Edited by NorthRaider

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*facepalm* Why? Don't these people know how to retcon and fix it on the fly instead of restarting every 3 years? Case in point: Hulk. The first one happened, but they all but ignored it. Do that if you feel like it. FF was great. Just give me a third one and leave it alone. Have them go to work for Shield or something.

I'm sure I might be alone in this, but I liked the first two. I thought they improved with the Silver Surfer and, if done right, another sequel could work. I think tying it into the Inhumans would make for some visually amazing fight seens. I'd love to see Black Bolt in action (in live action).

I'm sure I might be alone in this, but I liked the first two. I thought they improved with the Silver Surfer and, if done right, another sequel could work. I think tying it into the Inhumans would make for some visually amazing fight seens. I'd love to see Black Bolt in action (in live action).

I didn't have any problems with the first two FF movies at first... later I think Jessica Alba's acting just got on my nerves, and after Iron Man the movies were just unlucky enough to appear somewhat pedestrian/juvenile in comparison.

I love the Inhumans with a passion, and would really appreciate it if a movie appearance by them would help properly introduce them to the mainstream. However I believe that (especially after their Marvel Knights miniseries) the characters are well-developed and matured enough to actually merit getting their own proper movie someday. Pretty doubtful anyone would wanna see it, but they deserve their own movie complete with decent translation of the characters (in terms of both powers and temperament) to the screen.

Then again, I can think of one other character that'd make perfect sense for a new FF movie: NAMOR.

Sorry, the Watchmen thread is that-a-way.

Just kidding (no way am I opening up yet ANOTHER controversial issue for debate) :P

Really, having Namor in the hypothetical new movie would not only be a neat idea, but would also be a great way to expand the FF mythos to non-fans. As far as most newbies (or at least newbies in my circle) are concerned, all the Fantastic Four are really known for are either fighting random bad guys, taking on Galactus or being the punching bags of current Marvel comics continuity. I'm sure not many people outside of comics are that familiar with Namor or that time Invisible Woman became "evil" (with a hot new costume to match), and that story arc sounds just interesting enough to put in a movie (think Venom and the symbiote in the Spiderman movies).

Better yet, they can try killing two birds with one stone and figure out a way to put both Namor and the Inhumans in a single story. I can think of a few interesting ideas for such from both the Inhumans TPB and the Illuminati series...

I think the skrulls would be my best choice for the villain, and doom will also show up in the movie,he always does but having black bolt would be cool

Edited by SErge

I agree with Dinobot on this one. Give us a new cast and a new director, but don't start from scratch. We don't need another origin story.
Yeah, but look at what they did with The Incredible Hulk. Opening titles told us all we needed to know. Hopefully, they'll go that route.

I, personally, cannot imagine liking the Fantastic Four films (or the Spider-Man ones for that matter :blink: )! They were just so juvenile and silly, so corny and B-movie-ish...the very fact that they actually kept his ridiculous name, Dr. Doom, was astonishing. The whole thing just seemed like an insult to comic fans everywhere, to me. Like I said, this is true of the Spider-Man films as well (except the second one. that was actually the tiniest bit enjoyable and epic).

The scene in FF:RotSS where Doom steps onto the board for the first time? I could not stop laughing. The absolute best example of unintentional comedy in recent "blockbuster" film-making, in my opinion. :lol:

Ugh. Another day, another Marvel retcon. Seriously, i completely agree with TM2 and Luke. I did enjoy the first two since they got me into Marvel, (my dad had an OLD trade from the 60s i had read) but they weren't great looking back. And the thing that i hated the most: Alba. No. Just no. You aren't Sue Storm, you needed contacts for II, and you suck at acting. Stop. Now. Now while i do like the idea of the "SHIELD 4" comediacly (word or not??) suggested by TM2, Marvel just can't play that out if at the rate of their movies. Now the Inhumans, maybe. Never a fan, but i did read the War of Kings one-shot, and loved it, so i could see them appearing. What does it need most, though?? NA-freakin-MOR!! He deserves a film; we've proven through Watchmen (on multiple accounts) that the Speedo is okay. Do it. Now.

As for the DD reboot: Thanks a million, Lord Almighty.

I'm all for it. I liked the cast overall, especially the Thing, but not Doom. He RUINED the movie. And a hero is only as good as his villain.

And I want Namor so bad as the next villain. He is one of my favorite characters of all ti... wait. Maybe he'll be in Captain America.

I don't understand the negativity towards the comic movie franchises like Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, post-Burton/pre-Nolan Batman and even Spider-Man (according to Alpheon- wtf?). Sure they're campy. They're actors in spandex/leather costumes based on a comic book. There are a lot of comic story arcs that are WAY WORSE than some of the above-mentioned movies' plots.

As for the Fantastic Four reboot, I'm giving that 2 thumbs down. I love each and every one of their casting choices so far. Add Namor and Puppet Master (since Alicia's already established as a character) in there and you've got another financially successful sequel and a great popcorn movie for the summer movie season.

I loved both the FF films and this is like blasphemy! Sure they are not the greatest, most hard hitting films of all time, but they are fun!

As much as I love Batman Begins/TDK I almost resent that all other comic movies are compared to it. Batman can be interpreted as a dark, hard hitting character, but that doesnt mean everyone else has to. I'm already pissed that Nite-Owl and Ozymandius got Batman and Robin esque costumes and that Rorschach seems to have inherited throat cancer from Bale.

Leave FF and DD as they are. :angry:

*facepalm* Why? Don't these people know how to retcon and fix it on the fly instead of restarting every 3 years? Case in point: Hulk. The first one happened, but they all but ignored it. Do that if you feel like it. FF was great. Just give me a third one and leave it alone. Have them go to work for Shield or something.

Um - i'm pretty sure the Ed Norton Hulk film was written so that you didn't HAVE to have seen the Eric Bana one, but if you had, then it followed on from it.

I think the suits at Fox don't get the FF Characters if they are thinking reboot to capitalize on the success of both Iron Man and The Dark Knight <_< Like I said on another board, the Fantastic Four is supposed to be a little bit lighter and a family. While Alba will most likely never when a Oscar, she and the rest of the cast did convey that feel. Chiklis did great as The Thing. Is it possible some of the actors aren't interested in coming back and that's why they are thinking reboot? I'd also recommend watching the directors cut of Daredevil movie and you'll see a much better movie than the producer pushed "action" flick based on the success of the X-Men franchise :rolleyes:

C'mon HSD, he can't go around sounding like Bruce Wayne, I don't mind it. Oh, and bat nipples is much better than the cut away to their asses :sick:

I don't understand the negativity towards the comic movie franchises like Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, post-Burton/pre-Nolan Batman and even Spider-Man (according to Alpheon- wtf?). Sure they're campy. They're actors in spandex/leather costumes based on a comic book. There are a lot of comic story arcs that are WAY WORSE than some of the above-mentioned movies' plots.

Yes, you have a point--a good one, but one of the two things about the FF and Spider-Man films that made them horrible (in my opinion, of course) were the fact that they seemed to take themselves so seriously, despite their incredible silliness. Especially the Spider-Man movies. The first fight between Green Goblin and Spider-Man in the first film is a prime example of this. It was just...so...ridiculous. "We'll meet again, Spider-Man!!" Also, Sandman's origin scene in SM3.

The other thing is the cinematography used. It may seem like a small thing, but really--it was the prime factor in making me supremely dislike the franchises in question. As I mentioned before, the FF:RotSS scene where Doom steps onto Silver Surfer's board. Ouch. It was really funny, and absurdly comedic, but at the same time the scene itself seemed to think it was really something serious. That's what made it just terrible, instead of "light-hearted" or "campy."

And because of the reasons mentioned above, the really weak humor was even more diluted by the fact that the films themselves were utterly laughable, so any attempt at making the audience laugh intentionally seemed contrived and just awful.

...but that's just me. ;)

Alpheon, seriously man, wtf? Spiderman 2 is one of, if not THE best super hero movies of all time. Bar none. It ranks like this. SM2, Ironman, Batman Begins. And continues on thusly. I don't know what you expect from your super heroes, but if you felt a man dressing up as a giant spider and stopping burglers is "campy", 1) drop all Marvel and DC comics right now and 2) go back to your silly WatchtowerMen movie thing. I'm afraid for the next year I'm not going to hear anything except that. Well, no. I've got got to wait for the Wolvy movie. :P

Here's how I see it. DD was bad, but not quite as bad as people seem to think it was. I re-watched it with an open mind, trying to find out what made it so horrible. Are you ready for this? In my opinion, it wasn't Ben Afleck. It was the music. The soundtrack makes or breaks a movie. And it totally broke this one. DD was a good Origin film. Nothing more, nothing less. It left itself wide open, awaiting some real action in the second one. Which never came. But I wish they'd capitalized on the Webhead's secess a bit more, other than just Been Uric. seriously, a one liner about a 'zipping webline' or 'that spider freak up in midtown' goes SO very far, which is something not many directors/producers seem to understand. Case in point: Predator 2. The Xeno skull. People went nuts over that. People love the almost subtle hints that connect universes.

Elektra was... bad. Worse than DD. I like Elektra and I like Garner. But even I'll say straight up front it was fairly unbelievable. The plot was a who could care less, and the body count was far too low. It would have been muck better off had she actually followed in the footsteps of the man that killed her. Look! and actual psychological aspect! RUN!

That appears to be the main issue actually. Fox VS Columbia. They seem to have split the Marvel rights, and both are like little kids on the playground to excited and scared by the dollar bill they just found to do anything but scream. They don't realize, not every movie can be an Ironman. Some MUST by the Hulk, FF or even DD. Do you think the Ant Man movie will draw ironman-esk crowds? how about Runaways? It just isn't going to happen.

Work with what you've got. Hulk. Ghost Rider. These are our examples. The movies sucked. They worked on them a bit. You can't just go rebooting stuff every time a movie flops. You can retcon, but is Amazing AntMan #1 doesn't take off like you want, you aren't going to reboot it with Astounding AntMan #1 and Sensational Antman #1. It just... GAH!

Marvel, get your bloody act together and stop mucking it up! Stan Lee is in charge of the movie department for a reason! You've got all your characters, now play nice.

Oh, and NR. Sub Mariner movie

Other than me thinking that Iron Man should rank just a teensy-bit higher above SM2 (for its shout-outs to comic continuity) and that The Dark Knight deserves a nod in the Top 3, I respect your assumptions TM2. I also found it a shame that Ben Urich's character "died a slow death" along with the Daredevil movie. For me he was one of the best parts of that movie bar none, and it would've been cool if they managed to migrate him to another Marvel movie like Spider-Man 4 or something.

And thanks for the link about the Sub-Mariner movie. Someone on Multiply pointed that out to me too, I didn't know a Namor movie was already in development.

Oh, and in case you haven't heard, our worst fears about Baraka-Deadpool in Wolverine Origins might just be sated.

So I just watched FF2 and it hit me. At the end of the fight Victor gets dumped in the ocean!!! Now I don't know how far off this would stray, but what if Doom convinces Namor about how evil the surface world is, and in the end Sue changes his mind. I mean, I could see that working.

So I just watched FF2 and it hit me. At the end of the fight Victor gets dumped in the ocean!!! Now I don't know how far off this would stray, but what if Doom convinces Namor about how evil the surface world is, and in the end Sue changes his mind. I mean, I could see that working.

With a new writer, director, producers, and actors (well, they can keep Ben and Johnny), I agree 100%