UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The "other" New License

How about James Bond? You watch him on a TV...sometimes you watch his movies on saturday...Kubrick hasn't done him yet(I don't think)...

B) :deathstroke:

Ricky at the risk of soundy a bit cheeky..... Are you reading the same thread as the rest of us? :blink:

:rolleyes::P

T.

Well Timbo I've been kind of mad since they anounced Rocky, so I guess it's just a toast to hoping that it won't be cereal mates, but if they are I'll say what the heck and wait for the first series of DC Mates to come out. B)B)B)B)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Timbo I've been kind of mad since they anounced Rocky, so I guess it's just a toast to hoping that it won't be cereal mates, but if they are I'll say what the heck and wait for the first series of DC Mates to come out. B)B)B)B)

I wouldn't sweat Rocky... that's going to be awhile off yet, they have a ton of announced stuff to come before then.

You'll be buying Marvel, DC, speed racer and BSG mates before we even see proto's of rocky I recon.

T.

As for packaging, I think most of us can make an educated guess at to how they will be packed....

Id imagine they'll be sold in various stores but I'd guess their main point of sale will be a "Two box tops and a dollar" kind of thing

I'm all about new 'mates, new licenses AND wacky-off-the-wall-stuff.

BUT: cerealMates and the Rocky license (heck, even Speed Racer) raise a pretty big question:

These licenses get support and attention, but there wasn't enough interest to get wave 3 of LOTR out?

I'm all about new 'mates, new licenses AND wacky-off-the-wall-stuff.

BUT: cerealMates and the Rocky license (heck, even Speed Racer) raise a pretty big question:

These licenses get support and attention, but there wasn't enough interest to get wave 3 of LOTR out?

To be honest Xybot, no there probably wasn't. The LOTR 'golden goose' had already been killed, ressurected and killed again by the time wave 3 was announced. Had AA gotten these out while the movies were in theaters, I think we'd be up to wave 5 or 6. Unfotunately they weren't able to do so (for whatever reason) and it limited the window of opportunity to sell them. I'm guessing wave 3 was killed due to a fear that they'd lose $$ by doing so. (Sort of like the Batman Begins and The Batman C3 stuff - but that's a different story entirely...)

I'm holding out hope that years down the road when AA is rich with Minimate profits they will do a gigantor box set called: The Lost Minimates.

It will include: Tony Hawk Minimates, LOTR Wave 3, Alfred, Hawkgirl, Grundy, Cartoon Brainiac, Batman Begins C3 Batmobile, and Black Bullseye Minimate.

I understand trying to get your product out there as much as you can, and new liscenses means more exposure. I also understand that the big liscenses are steps further down the road that we're trying to build to. But minimates based off of cereal?! We're going to see Tony the f-ing Tiger before we see Thor, I just know it. Makes sense to me. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a commercial for Rice Crispys and thought "If only I had my own little Snap, Crackle, and Pop to play with".

Cerealmates.

That's it for me. You've been great. I'm outta here.

I swear, if AA comes out with one more stupid license like this, I'm quitting.

They are putting all their focus on lines that probably wont get off the ground, which is pretty much every one except for DC and Marvel.. I'm actually glad that all of AA's lines are failing. Hopefully, when all these stupid licenses fail, AA will realize that their only money making lines are DC and Marvel, and maybe not even Marvel. With the way AA and DST have been treating the Marvel line, I wouldn't be suprised if these(12 and 13) are the last two waves.

Let's face it, Minimates + comic book characters = good, Minimates + everything else = bad. You cant argue with results, and the results say that Minimates are made for comics, not for BSG, Speed Racer, Street Fighter, Rocky, and these god damn CEREAL MASCOTS, and anything that I may have left out!

They refuse to aknowledge the line that made them(Marvel). But when they finally do sit down and talk about Marvel, they come out of the meeting room and they announce that "The next two waves will be big". Yeah effin right. All we get is MORE REHASHES!

Then they say that the boxes will have new designs. Big deal. A BOX IS A BOX! Who here(honestly) cares about a new box design? I know I dont! The Minimates could come in a Ziploc bag and I wouldn't care!

Rant over... for now!

^^^ Diversification is good for business, period. AA acknowledges how important the Marvel line is and because of it's success we are seeing DC characters, as well as the other licenses that they have acquired.

You may not like these properties but other people will. Some people might only collect BSG paraphernalia and therefore would only be interested in the BSG Minimates.

Either way any new license brings attention to the Minimates brand and that is good for the die-hard collectors. Why? Because it means that the company is making money and expanding. If AA is making money then the Marvel line will continue, as will the others. I highly doubt that the Marvel line will go belly up because of other lines.

And there were other factors involved in the delay of the next Marvel waves. I seem to remember something about AA changing the main factory that they use for production in China - and there were other factors discussed at length on the old forums. Ady, Timbo - care to chime in here?

And I for one am interested in the box art as I am a fan of the Minimates themselves not just a particular line. And packaging plays a role not only in visibility of the product (bubble, window-box, or box) but where they are placed in a store and in what type of stores they are stocked.

Is it a drag that it's been so long between Marvel waves? Yes. Is this the end of the line? No. And now that AA has settled into their new factory I think we'll see things produced in a more timely fashion. And if they aren't, at least we'll have distractions in the way of movies to watch and cereal to eat!

I have heard rumors though about how they are going to be packed though.....and it's a cool idea but I'll wait to see what images we get from AA before spilling the beans though, as what I heard was 'hearsay' and want to see what AA are going to show us.

Spill the beans, Tim!

I swear, if AA comes out with one more stupid license like this, I'm quitting.

They are putting all their focus on lines that probably wont get off the ground, which is pretty much every one except for DC and Marvel.. I'm actually glad that all of AA's lines are failing. Hopefully, when all these stupid licenses fail, AA will realize that their only money making lines are DC and Marvel, and maybe not even Marvel. With the way AA and DST have been treating the Marvel line, I wouldn't be suprised if these(12 and 13) are the last two waves.

Let's face it, Minimates + comic book characters = good, Minimates + everything else = bad. You cant argue with results, and the results say that Minimates are made for comics, not for BSG, Speed Racer, Street Fighter, Rocky, and these god damn CEREAL MASCOTS, and anything that I may have left out!

They refuse to aknowledge the line that made them(Marvel). But when they finally do sit down and talk about Marvel, they come out of the meeting room and they announce that "The next two waves will be big". Yeah effin right. All we get is MORE REHASHES!

Then they say that the boxes will have new designs. Big deal. A BOX IS A BOX! Who here(honestly) cares about a new box design? I know I dont! The Minimates could come in a Ziploc bag and I wouldn't care!

Rant over... for now!

I'm with Logan on this one. How many normal kids are going to like CerealMates? I mean do you see Lego making "Tony the Tiger's Mansion" playset? I know comics are the best licences, but what about (at the risk of sounding repetitive) Star Wars? I know Hasbro was a lot of the rights, but if AA can't get any good licenses--DON'T GET ANY NEW LICENSES AT ALL!!!!!!!!! IT ONLY LOSES THEM MONEY TO MAKE EVEN MORE FIGURES!

My rant is over (as Logan said)....for now...

Ah, but if they don't go for new licenses they'd lose more money, lack of exposure of the brand, and if they believe they wouldn't sell enough to at least break even (at this point in time) they wouldn't even get the license.

Also seems alot of people are forgetting that DST have far more control over the direction of Marvel Minimates than AA, where many of these new licenses seem to be strickly AA only ones.

I'm sure they know what they're doing... I hope

It does seem a little out of left field cereal mates in little cereal boxes nut who knows perhaps its a market we're unaware of theres maybe a CerealFigureMultiverse out there just dieing for this things.

Worst case secneraio we all get some cool new custom fodder.

That's sort of what I'm hoping for, but my expectations was more towards just colored Fruit Loop-esq mates. But yeah, very much a return to the days of the 3" mates in terms of license selection...

It is a bizarre choice, but what you get with cereal-mates is instant brand recognition.

Yeah, but as far as collectors goes, it seems they are going from a brand that has a small niche market to one that has an even smaller niche market. Yeah, everyone knows who Tony the Tiger is, and the Trix Rabbit is recognized in most every home in America, but who could forget the scores of shelves devoted to their merchandise at the local toy store...oh wait, there aren't any. It would work as a prize in a box of cereal, but I don't see a monumental success in selling these things. I see hard to find custom-fodder on the horizon here. (imagine what MinimateHQ's Overlord would look like in a Captain Crunch hat!)

And, again, I understand that the more licenses that AA finds, the better chances we have of getting their product more mainstream, but they don't seem to be killing themselves bringing in licenses like Lucky Charms. Heck, I imagine even I could get the license for Fruit Loops for something. DST has licenses like Stargate, Buffy, Angel, GI Joe, Transformers, Hellboy, Monty Python, even major brands like Fox and MGM. Why aren't we getting anything from those? I know the major brands have a corner on Star Wars, most Marvel and DC movies, etc, but there are far better licenses than cereal.

I'm not trying to sound negative, nor am I down on AA/DST. Yeah, I'm disappointed that Marvel isn't really excelling right now, but that's not the root of my distaste here either. If the line is to grow into something mainstream, its going to take more than a crappy early-Anime show, some sweaty and shirtless Sylvester Stallones, and a couple boxes of cereal to get the brand out there.

So, until we get something better, make mine Booberry.

So are these going to be packaged one per cereal box or is this a mail-away type thing? And is there any confirmation on the character line-up yet?

We dont 'know yet' and no we just have rumors of the line........ My guess is that it's NOT going to be a give/mail away thing though.

AA hasn't officially even annouced the license yet so no one is going to have solid details...

T.

AA hasn't officially even annouced the license yet so no one is going to have solid details...

Can you give us the murky details?

lol well the thread is pretty much what everyone knows right now.....

So go back to post one and reread it.... :lol::P:lol:

T.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! i amm so freaken confused

and if it is a new mini mascotivers we all know that they will be crap they (even thou i dont know how they would do this) may even be halowheck they may even be inflatibull to save them a buck and so kids do not swallow them theey will be so stiff noremoovibul hands,head, legs or feet and the arm will be like cubrik arms ok made not vbut posuble

ok i am done for now

I was referring specifically to this post:

I have heard rumors though about how they are going to be packed though.....and it's a cool idea but I'll wait to see what images we get from AA before spilling the beans though, as what I heard was 'hearsay' and want to see what AA are going to show us.

Care to divulge the packaging rumors?

I was referring specifically to this post:

Care to divulge the packaging rumors?

Nope, hence my post saying I'll wait to see what AA post before spilling the beans... ;)

T.