UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Which do you prefer?

Shup Dude

I searched and couldn't find this topic, and I wanna know everyone's opinions on this.

Do you prefer comic books (Marvel, DC, etc.) or normal books (sci-fi novels, non fiction, fiction, romance, etc.)...

... and why?

I like comic books more, because they're fun to read. They're also smaller, making it easier (and faster) to read normal books, and they seem to have a lot more going on. I also like how there are pictures, making it easier to see what's going on and see what the characters look like. In novels, you can't tell, you just get a description (what they're wearing, what color skin, etc.).

I mean, don't get me wrong, novels are good, too, but...

... I just hate not knowing what the characters look like and when I read a book, I usually get confused between characters talking. Most novels don't give me enough info to what the character looks like, so I have to make up a person.

Uh, arguably the whole POINT of novels is having the reader visualize the whole thing for themselves. It's supposed to be good for exercising the reader's imagination. Of course, there may also be novels where you are completely unable to visualize something from it... that I would call a BADLY-WRITTEN novel.

As for which I'd prefer, I guess I'd have to answer a big fat Depends. "Regular" books for me can often pose a satisfying challenge when executed perfectly, but I agree that nothing beats a great story coupled with amazing art (comic books).

With me it is attention-span . I use to print books & when I start to read them I start proof-reading them which in itself is bad enough but unless the book is instantly engrossing..that's the end of it. Comic-reading is far more my thing but I need a run of perhaps four at a time which is perhaps why graphic novels, from Marvel for example ,are littered everywhere in our house.

That deals with my reading,my typing is a completely different story.....I use two fingers & you may have noticed my posts are rarely long -_- . This is because it takes me forever to type what I'm thinking & any thread that requires too much typing .....I pass on.

I have to agree with BHM (which is becoming too much of a pattern recently). I might read one book a year (maybe), but even then it's probably of a religious nature. I even work in a book distribution center with hundreds of millions of book surrounding me, yet I'm not interested.

Now comics, though, I could read all of the time. But I'm also more of a TPB kind of guy. We used to distribute all of DC Comics TPBs and HCs and it was very cool (although I think DC is second place to Marvel). Now that I don't get a discount, I rarely pick anything up.

I suppose more than anything I am a very dedicated bathroom stall wall reader. Very engrossing literature.

I use to print books & when I start to read them I start proof-reading them which in itself is bad enough but unless the book is instantly engrossing..that's the end of it.

By the way, the part of me that almost had a job as a proof reader once thought that it was comical that you didn't proof read your sentence about proof reading.

Edited by groundhog7s

You know, as great as they are, there are some things that comic books just CAN'T DO! Like they just don't know when to stop (ongoing storylines. Like Soap Operas) and normal books can tell a much larger story in one fell swoop. Comic books at their best are in contained miniseries as you don't usually need to know what's going on previously with them. You get all the info within the miniseries. (EX: Watchmen)

So I prefer comics for their ongoing storylines, I prefer normal books for their contained nature and the fact that they, no matter how much you don't want them to (Cough Harry Potter Cough), do eventually end.