UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us Marvel Minimates exclusive in Toyfare

hellpop

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to get my TRU to get minimates. They did not get a single minimate from the previous sets a few months ago (i.e. stealth iron man and the spider packs). I figure the UJ/WM will show up on the website but I hate having to wait for something I should be able to walk next door from my job and pick up but my TRU sucks when it comes to minimates. I am already going to get the heroes villains sets so unless there are differences inthese 2 packs they don't really matter to me and I already have the Punisher set but if TRU is going to have an exclusive don't you think all the TRU should get them?

I think you should write a letter to them addressed to the General Manager and explain that you would like for them to carry this product. Tell them that other TRU stores have had success with this product, and it is appealing to both kids and collectors alike.

When my TRU could not find the last wave, even though the system showed them in stock, I tried talking to every manager there, but that didn't help. But once I wrote the GM a letter, BAM they suddenly showed up.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the myth "the pen is stronger than the (s)word" is totally confirmed! :yes:

Indeed, the pen-is mightier. ;)

:ohmy: Luke, you just... I mean ... darn, I thought you were all nice. Always. Like Superman. Or Michael J. Fox. Somehow. I never figured you using latent ambiguity in that way. That's BHM's way to talk. (And that's OK. I mean, honestly.) But you? I am totally shocked!

(On the other hand, there was this "24"...)

:P

So the myth "the pen is stronger than the (s)word" is totally confirmed! :yes:

Indeed, the pen-is mightier. ;)

Luke, you just... I mean ... darn, I thought you were all nice. Always. Like Superman. Or Michael J. Fox. Somehow. I never figured you using latent ambiguity in that way. That's BHM's way to talk. (And that's OK. I mean, honestly.) But you? I am totally shocked!

BHM's way to talk? :angry: .....& how would that be, pray tell Herr Harris? :ermm:

:ohmy: Luke, you just... I mean ... darn, I thought you were all nice. Always. Like Superman. Or Michael J. Fox. Somehow. I never figured you using latent ambiguity in that way. That's BHM's way to talk. (And that's OK. I mean, honestly.) But you? I am totally shocked!

LOL, sometimes I just can't help myself. :P

Some tips if you're searching TRU for these, and any future minimates sets. I was just at one of the many TRU in my area. After 2 days of going there and calling with the item number, I finally found them. Today I talked to a manager after finding nothing on the pegs and she told me that their system is not 100% accurate. SHOCKER!!! She said that when I was told the previous day that the items were "on the truck," that employees should not be telling customers that even if the computer shows an item to be on the truck.

She told me there are often 2 trucks with one shipment and the item could be on the second truck. I was told yesterday that they were showing 23 pieces on the floor and there was nothing but empty pegs today when I walked in. I gave her the sticker and she looked it up again. Behold!! There was a case in the back, but she did say that there should still be 11 on the floor "somewhere." She immediately got on her walkie talkie to the stock room and had the guy meet me in the aisle with the full case.

My point in all of this is to CALL FIRST and have an employee physically walk back and find the item. They will hold an item for a day at customer service. I had two different employees walk back yesterday when I called twice, so I think they are used to it. Save yourself some time and aggravation and call them before you go.

Again: item # 11-3214 is what they can look up.

My point in all of this is to CALL FIRST and have an employee physically walk back and find the item. They will hold an item for a day at customer service. I had two different employees walk back yesterday when I called twice, so I think they are used to it. Save yourself some time and aggravation and call them before you go.

It sounds so easy! Then I call these miserable, frustrated, and spiteful employees at the local TRU and get put on hold indefinitely, until another person realizes (15 minutes later) that someone is on hold, goes off to "look for the Minimates", and leaves me on hold for another indefinite period. I hate that damn place, and it is a 20 minute drive or so, so I can't just head on over to look whenever I feel like it.

It sounds so easy! Then I call these miserable, frustrated, and spiteful employees at the local TRU and get put on hold indefinitely, until another person realizes (15 minutes later) that someone is on hold, goes off to "look for the Minimates", and leaves me on hold for another indefinite period. I hate that damn place, and it is a 20 minute drive or so, so I can't just head on over to look whenever I feel like it.

That sucks. I guess I was lucky with this particular store, they were very helpful, if not completely knowledgeable about their products. I also have to drive at least 30 minutes to any TRU, but I have about 4 within a 45 minute radius from either home or work. I have found the minimates at some of them, but not all.

Well to my total astonishment I went into my TRU today before going into work and VOILA a whole peg of miniamtes!!!!!!!!! I can't even explain how excited I was. Thanks for all of the suggestions you guys I am glad though that I don't have to pursue any of those so I picked up two WM/UJ and a Punisher set. I was very tempted to get all the other heroes villains sets but since I am getting the 4 packs I was able to control myself. That was one of the best visits to TRU I have ever had I was so happy to see that peg full of minimates!

I found a full case of these today at a Toysrus in the Okemos/East Lansing, MI area. I picked up a Punisher and the Wonderman/Union Jack set and I'm throughly impressed with the wave, I'm very happy to get a Union Jack in minimate form and I'm glad to have a new Wonderman (the modern costume is a favorite of mine and I got a wonky Wonderman back in the Avengers wave). I'll also say that the Punisher set is a must for people that missed out on the boxed set and are fans of the comic, I kinda got the impression its more of a comic set over the movie given the bios on the back and both characters look pretty similar to how they do in the comics.

Edited by Andimus Prime

Some more pics. Wonder Man is such a dumb ass character and an even dumb asser minimate!! Sorry, I know there are fans of him, but I just don't get a guy in red shades and a lame safari jacket. The gold bracelets are the best. I'm finding some minimate chick hair to put on him!! So dumb...

P1010014_editedSmall-1.jpg

P1010017_editedSmall.jpg

The punisher vest looks like it's a glossier black compared to the one from the box set which looks flat to me. It may just be my particular figures, but there is a difference that I'm sure wouldn't show up in a picture. Dentist Jigsaw is the same...lame!! He should be all f'd up and crazy with that big metal collar from the first Punisher mini series!

P1010021_editedSmall.jpg

Some more pics. Wonder Man is such a dumb ass character and an even dumb asser minimate!! Sorry, I know there are fans of him, but I just don't get a guy in red shades and a lame safari jacket. The gold bracelets are the best. I'm finding some minimate chick hair to put on him!! So dumb...

I'm sure that another forum member would carry the burden of taking him off your hands, since you hate him so much.

Edited by karamazov80

My local TRU was packed to the gills with these. At lease five complete sets. I picked up the Wonder Man/Union Jack and Spidey/Green Goblin. If anyone in NJ is looking for these try the TRU at the Somerville Circle.

PS

I put the jet belt from the old Wonder Man on the new one. It looks pretty good. It makes the jacket look longer and adds a little bit of height to him.

Edited by Rheul

Well to my total astonishment I went into my TRU today before going into work and VOILA a whole peg of miniamtes!!!!!!!!! I can't even explain how excited I was.

Only one peg? i found two pegs! mostly heroes and villains only 1 punisher, and 3 uj and WM. I but loads of spideman, wolvies and hulk packs.

i got spidy and UJ packs those are the ones i was really looking forward to. it is about time we got a better green goblin it has only been 2 years since they promised us this one from target.

good luck everyone.

rheul, can i see a pic of that. also, where from nj are u dude? i went to the totowa one and only saw a single wonder man/union jack set (which i picked up) it was a pain trying to get these guys

I'm in Hillsborough. The TRU on Rt 202 South in Somerville had about four pegs packed with these. That Totawa TRU stinks. I work in Wayne so I go to the there quit a bit. They never have anything.

Any new Minimates that I can add to my collection are welcome but I am again bemused by DST's marketing strategy . TRU is a great place to promote the Minimate range to the new/young/casual buyer who may never have heard of Minimates & is unlikely to enter a comic-store /buy on-line/ebay or generally see these elsewhere. I totally appreciate the wisdom behind this but I fail to see the wisdom of turning this great strategy into a 'treasure hunt' for the TRU exclusives. This must be a hallelujah moment for ebay-speculators whilst obviously pissing off current collectors who have no hope of getting their new grails ...even if they live nearby to a TRU. It doesn't make sense to me ,in an era when you can buy a 'variant set' of each wave from AFX (for example) for ,perhaps, $26 ,WTF is the point of introducing a different breed of variants that are only available in obscure TRUs ?

Is this pleasing anybody?

Yes, it pleases people trying to make a quick buck off of the secondary market.

I think if you look, TRU is trying to save themselves from closing and are doing it by establishing themselves as a place full of exclusives. If you want all Minimates made, you have to buy through them. If you want to collect Mighty Muggs, soon you'll have to go through them. There's a lot of exclusives being made that'll only be at TRU and I think they'll continue to do that. What TRU fails to see, it seems, is that one reason people don't shop there isn't the price, it's the service. Maybe they're getting better in some ways (I had a mildly bad experience that was more than made up for by them), but in some they just don't change. And in the US economy, they will have to adapt to the newer way of doing business and just carrying exclusives probably won't do it. If anything, poor distribution will make public opinion even worse (at least for collectors). Just my take on what's going on with them.

No, not really. I agree with your point, BHM.

I think it's a market strategy. I bet DST wanted to place their stuff at TRUs again, but being dropped once (am I right?) I guess TRU accepted Minimates in there stores only under a very attractive offer. Exclusives might be such an offer. But under the given circumstances it's not very collector friendly. Especially for us non-US collectors. We do have TRU as well in Germany, but they don't sell Minimates here. The only place to get them besides internet options are comic shops.

So, we are an acceptable collateral damage for the greater good.

Edit:

greater good

Wait a minute! Say, does Veidt is involved in this whole thing? Frak! Anybody checked and double-checked whether DST is a subsubsubcompany of Veidt Enterprises?!? :ohmy:

Edited by Bob Harris