UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minis

Jason

I have to admit on some level I find them cool, but I cannot understand why DCD has seemingly given up on Minimates altogether. You can't tell be something like a Watchmen comic Minimate boxset wouldn't be profitable for them. I still just don't get it.

Yeah and if you keep looking they do have minimates pics up as well.

still look like pencil toppers to me.

Absolutely spot on. I was struggling to think of what they reminded me of when I saw this :)

I guess there's just a bigger market for the "Superhero Squad" style that they can expand.

I have to admit on some level I find them cool, but I cannot understand why DCD has seemingly given up on Minimates altogether. You can't tell be something like a Watchmen comic Minimate boxset wouldn't be profitable for them. I still just don't get it.

Yeah and if you keep looking they do have minimates pics up as well.

Could you post a link? I can't find any.

Sigh... These are not intended to "replace" DC minimates. DC minimates didn't sell well enough for DC Direct to continue to produce them. No money made = no more product, that's just the way it works.

These are competing with (as someone already noted) the Marvel Super Hero Squad figures which are immensely popular with both collectors and (GASP) little kids!! They are tied into a cartoon with iconic characters, with some fresh faces thrown in for variety. DC diehards will probably love these because they are also giving action figure versions of some characters that don't get many figures made.

Personally, I like these. I like the style of the animation in the cartoon and these reflect that style very well. I won't buy them, but little kids will want them and parents will buy them because they will probably be priced around $6 or $7. Being much bigger than minimates and priced a little less makes them a much more attractive purchase to parents. We all know that DC mates were never really marketed to parents / kids (other than C3), but would they have bought them? Who knows?

You know, I actually kind of like these, too. I like the style a heck of a lot more than the Superhero Squad figures. I don't like the smiling babies of the SHS figures, but these look kind of cool in their own way, sort of exaggerated in the way that Muggs are, but in a way that I like more than the Muggs. I can easily see that Batman in my collection.

I don't like the way Super Hero Squad ficures are designed. I really don't like them. These here look, in my eyes, way better, but still I'm not going to have them. (Which isn't a very hard decision to make, living in Germany, where stuff like this is very rare.) I'd love to see more DC Minimates, but I guess I'm not alone with that wishful thinking. :P