UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghostbusters is a classic.

However, the sequel was just more of the same. I was hoping a third film would grow beyond NYC and franchise out to other cities in need of the Ghostbusters' abilities, adding new cast members along the way and allowing the remaining cast to pass the torch.

I have very low expectations for a remake. The original team cannot be replaced, only succeeded.

The sequel raised the stakes significantly, splintered the group, stripped them down to their basest emotions, upped the action significantly, introduced some great characters, had an appearance by Bobby Brown and is very, very silly.

I love it as much as the original.

I hope this is not a remake, but rather, like they say, a reboot, although I can see the four women fitting into the four character types very well. I have not heard about the locale. Chicago is nice!

It is officially a remake with no connection to the original films by the director of bridesmaids and the heat. It will be a whole new concept.

I love both original films, the video game, and cartoon but I cannot support what Sony is doing with this film. If it was a sequel/remake I would give it a chance but I did not care for bridesmaids or the heat so I am not opptimistic.

I thought they were making a sequel? That's been in development hell for decades. How did we suddenly go from an idea that had major actors attached to it, to another doomed Melissa McCarthy project? Barf.

I can only hope this news is like every other Ghostbusters movie news of the last decade... And it amounts to nothing.

I was hoping for Tina Fey and Amy Pohler.

Good news! Tina Fey is working on “Untitled Witch Movie” which she describes as “in the vein of Ghostbusters” (you may remember hearing about it when every news site on the internet reported it as “Tina Fey NOT making Hocus Pocus 2”)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/tina-fey-star-witch-movie-disney-article-1.1855459

so we may still get to see Tina Fey and Amy Poehler fighting the supernatural yet! (unless “Sisters” and “Ghostbuster (2016)” flop... in which case, oh well.)

It is officially a remake with no connection to the original films by the director of bridesmaids and the heat. It will be a whole new concept.

I love both original films, the video game, and cartoon but I cannot support what Sony is doing with this film. If it was a sequel/remake I would give it a chance but I did not care for bridesmaids or the heat so I am not opptimistic.

Is it a reboot or a remake when it is a new concept with no connection to the originals? I thought that was a reboot. A remake seems like they're just making it again.

I loved Bridesmaids, I love Kate McKinnon, and I will take any attempt to reinvigorate the franchise in a new and different way, especially one that doesn't involve waiting for the original cast to come together or pass away.

And we are working on more classic Ghostbusters.

I read it was a passing the torch kind of deal. I think that's still the case but when I read it that was early scripts they were talking about and I know some big development happened since then so it could have changed.

There's a rumor circulating that its a complete reboot with no ties to the originals. In fact, one of the biggest rumors is that they're eyeing Bill Murray to play the Walter Peck-ish role!

Y'know, I find it odd that Sony is going with an all-female cast for this. Aren't most corporations against this sort of thing since it supposedly 'limits' the merchandising potential especially concerning toylines and video games? We already have a hard enough time getting female characters in other toylines as it is-- I mean, how long did it take for Hasbro to make a six inch-scale MCU Black Widow to be made after The Avengers came out?

Personally, I don't see this reboot doing too well and it will most likey go right into the 'oh yeah, that existed' bin with recent flunked reboots/remakes like Robocop.

Edited by Brad Redfield

I read it was a passing the torch kind of deal. I think that's still the case but when I read it that was early scripts they were talking about and I know some big development happened since then so it could have changed.

There's a rumor circulating that its a complete reboot with no ties to the originals. In fact, one of the biggest rumors is that they're eyeing Bill Murray to play the Walter Peck-ish role!

Y'know, I find it odd that Sony is going with an all-female cast for this. Aren't most corporations against this sort of thing since it supposedly 'limits' the merchandising potential especially concerning toylines and video games? We already have a hard enough time getting female characters in other toylines as it is-- I mean, how long did it take for Hasbro to make a six inch-scale MCU Black Widow to be made after The Avengers came out?

Personally, I don't see this reboot doing too well and it will most likey go right into the 'oh yeah, that existed' bin with recent flunked reboots/remakes like Robocop.

I had not heard that spoiler, and that sounds amazing.

There is a school of thought that women are more than 50% of the movie-going public, and girls are 50% of the toy-buying market, and if a girl wants to buy an action figure, they should be allowed to. The reality is not always that simple, but I applaud any studio willing to attempt to translate the success of a 100% female-driven comedy like Bridesmaids into an otherwise inactive franchise. I think Sony has seen the sales potential for women's GB merchandise over the years (apparel, costumes), and has the right idea. I think a kid-targeted movie could have led to more merchandise, but it's a fine tightrope making a kid movie appeal to adults, and I'm personally glad they went this route. Doesn't rule out a cartoon in the future! Maybe even with a few dudes.

Was Robocop a flop? I have not seen it yet, but it looks like an admirable, reasonably faithful remake of the original. I'd say reboot, but the main elements seem to all be there.

I'm not particularly enthused by the new cast or the new movie, but that has less to do with the 'busters being female and more to do with me not being interested in seeing any more Ghostbusters movies following Harold Ramis' death. He was a key piece of the franchise (both in acting and writing) and I just think the franchise should have been laid to rest after his passing.

@Zach: I was pleasantly surprised by the Robocop remake. I went into it with no expectations and found it to be quite a well done movie. I especially loved Gary Oldman's performance as Robo's conflicted creator.

I'm not particularly enthused by the new cast or the new movie, but that has less to do with the 'busters being female and more to do with me not being interested in seeing any more Ghostbusters movies following Harold Ramis' death. He was a key piece of the franchise (both in acting and writing) and I just think the franchise should have been laid to rest after his passing.

I totally respect that but have to ask; were you a fan of the animated series and how involved was Ramis in that? Because sometimes other writers can meet or surpass the creator. It's all a matter of taste but either way Ramis' presence will be missed. :(