UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

I also enjoyed the Robocop reboot for what it was. It was not as great as the original by a long stretch in my mind, but it seemed to have totally different ambitions. Instead of being a heavy handed, over the top satire, it was more a traditional action movie. So, I don't think they were really looking to be faithful, and the spirit of the original isn't really there, but like I said, I enjoyed it for what it was. I thought Keaton and Oldman both did a really good job. Action scenes were pretty good.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not particularly enthused by the new cast or the new movie, but that has less to do with the 'busters being female and more to do with me not being interested in seeing any more Ghostbusters movies following Harold Ramis' death. He was a key piece of the franchise (both in acting and writing) and I just think the franchise should have been laid to rest after his passing.

I totally respect that but have to ask; were you a fan of the animated series and how involved was Ramis in that? Because sometimes other writers can meet or surpass the creator. It's all a matter of taste but either way Ramis' presence will be missed. sad.png

I've only seen bits and pieces of the animated series, though I've never enjoyed it as much as the movies. I see it as a separate entity from the movies, so it's easier to divorce it from them.

Had they given it to Wes Anderson, Bill Murray probably would have returned. (Just don't tell him it's a Ghostbusters sequel.)

As far as the movie goes. No thank you. as for minimates. whatever. I'll probably get them anyways..

If we end up getting proton packs that'll fit over the Turtles' shells, I'd buy a set just to make variants like this:

mikey_3.jpg

At one point Murray said he'd only return if he could be a ghost, taking on the "Slimer" role and messing with the new crew that the GB were training. It was a fun idea that I would have liked to have seen, as I think Murray would have had a lot of fun with it, but that was long before Ramis' death.

GB2 had some fun scenes, but overall was a poor sequel, mostly due to Murray's Venkman which was underused.

The Real Ghostbusters was a very fun cartoon, and often managed to capture the feel of the original movie, mostly due to Lorenzo Music's Peter Venkman portrayal.

That said, the studio is really missing it's chance to release this movie:

http://youtu.be/Kiiuc0M4L40?t=1m27s

I read it was a passing the torch kind of deal. I think that's still the case but when I read it that was early scripts they were talking about and I know some big development happened since then so it could have changed.

There's a rumor circulating that its a complete reboot with no ties to the originals. In fact, one of the biggest rumors is that they're eyeing Bill Murray to play the Walter Peck-ish role!

Y'know, I find it odd that Sony is going with an all-female cast for this. Aren't most corporations against this sort of thing since it supposedly 'limits' the merchandising potential especially concerning toylines and video games? We already have a hard enough time getting female characters in other toylines as it is-- I mean, how long did it take for Hasbro to make a six inch-scale MCU Black Widow to be made after The Avengers came out?

Personally, I don't see this reboot doing too well and it will most likey go right into the 'oh yeah, that existed' bin with recent flunked reboots/remakes like Robocop.

I had not heard that spoiler, and that sounds amazing.

There is a school of thought that women are more than 50% of the movie-going public, and girls are 50% of the toy-buying market, and if a girl wants to buy an action figure, they should be allowed to. The reality is not always that simple, but I applaud any studio willing to attempt to translate the success of a 100% female-driven comedy like Bridesmaids into an otherwise inactive franchise. I think Sony has seen the sales potential for women's GB merchandise over the years (apparel, costumes), and has the right idea. I think a kid-targeted movie could have led to more merchandise, but it's a fine tightrope making a kid movie appeal to adults, and I'm personally glad they went this route.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with a all-female cast (though I'm not a fan of some of the actresses they've chosen) and the fact they're taking a risk with it! I just found it odd Sony of all people are the ones taking said risk. tongue.png

Doesn't rule out a cartoon in the future! Maybe even with a few dudes.

A new cartoon would be fantastic and would be a good way to feature the original four characters without having to get any of the actors involved. I'm surprised Sony hasn't tried to make a CG GB series after Nick's TMNT became a major success, honestly. Imagine if Nickelodeon had a 'power-hour' with a new Ghostbusters cartoon followed by TMNT!

Was Robocop a flop? I have not seen it yet, but it looks like an admirable, reasonably faithful remake of the original. I'd say reboot, but the main elements seem to all be there.

IMO, I didn't care too much for the new movie myself (never cared for the sequels to the original, either) but it came and went out of theaters barely making $60 million on a $120 million-ish budget. (Though the worldwide gross was $240 million.) So it didn't make much of splash, at least here in the US.

This is a sticky situation for "old" fans. Any negative/wary opinion of this seems to be met with ire.

For me, any deviation from the original source material gets a polite no-thanks from me. It's not "my" version. I don't think I'm racist or chauvinist. I like people that aren't men and they don't have to be white.

I hope others enjoy this stuff and get "their" version... but when it comes to things like this, I'll watch passively but accept that I have a big bias.

That's not Winston. That's not Nick Fury. That's not Johnny Storm. I'm very loyal to the original incarnations of these characters and those are the ones I want to see. I don't think that makes me prejudice, it's just my preference. No smear campaigns or cruel remarks. Just not what I wanna see.

With Ghostbusters, it's also a matter of "leave it alone" for me. Harold Ramis is gone and nobody can fill those shoes. Be it a remake or continuation, what I'd REALLY enjoy is an all new story or franchise that doesn't have to measure up to what's come before. Something completely new.

I heard that kinda thing in an article on the All-New Captain America. What would get me excited is a new Falcon ongoing with solid creators that really do a first class job rather than have him fill-in for a little while and then Steve (inevitably) return. Have pride enough in your character that can stand on his own two feet rather than aspiring to fill a white man's shoes.

Edited by Mystery Man

The Robocop remake isn't the worst thing ever... But it's another movie that doesn't need to be named after another. That is to say, other than the movie being called Robocop, it bares no real resemblance to the other Robocop. Sure, it's littered with stuff based on the old Robocop, but those things are only there or called the old names because they have to. You could have just as easily named the movie Future Law or something less lame and it would have been recieved as a pretty great action flick. Calling it Robocop sort of sealed it's doom. It'll never be as good as the original and doesn't work as a sequel. And I believe it was more or less a middle of the pack flop.

I hate MM number one. I don't find her funny at all. The rest the cast is so-so, as I think Wiig can be funny in VERY small doses. But why does the movie have to be called Ghostbusters? Why can't they make a movie about women fighting ghosts without crapping on an established and let's face it, fairly beloved franchise? It's the kiss of death to this movie before they ever shoot a single scene. Because it will never be as good as the original, it'll never make the impact and it can't give the franchise any legs.

Often good/decent movies, end up sucking because they're "remakes" or "reimagining" of a classic movie, because the studios think it's safer to release something that already has an audience, than realizing that if it didn't have those names, it would likely tap into those same audiences and get respect from those fans for being an homage to something great.

People love homages, people hate remakes.

People love homages, people hate remakes.

I don't think ticket sales bear that out. Do you think Robocop would have done better if they called it something else? It would have been savaged for being a ripoff of a "classic" and even less people would have gone to see it. I agree with a lot of the criticisms of Hollywood's lack of creativity, but if you're making a movie that's 80% similar to an existing franchise being original is probably going to cost you money. People might not like bad remakes, but they'll probably buy a ticket for them before going to an "original" film that seems completely derivative of something else they recognize.

Re: homages, I hadn't even seen trailers for Almanac before I started hearing about Michael Bay "ripping off" Back to the Future. I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the trailer, and I don't know that it's similar enough to call an homage, let alone a rip-off. And I know there have been other time travel movies since BTTF (mostly independent) that do similar things.

Make a movie abut four (or three) women fighting ghosts and it'd be accused of being a Ghostbusters rip-off. I see no reason for that movie not to bear the franchise name to continue the original film's legacy, rather than letting it lie unused.

I'm of the school that, as long as it doesn't affect the original movie, who cares. I still like the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but not the Burton version. I still like Indiana Jones 1-3, if not the fourth one. People can not like whatever they want, but I'd never insist something not be made at all. The Transformers movies make me sad, but I'm glad they resonate with a large audience. And I still love the original cartoon.

The equation "Transformers movie = sad" is TRUTH!

And that's a good point, Zach.

Too bad that a film just like Ghostbusters would be compared to it anyway, so why not call it that if possible. I'm more interested in original properties but I also don't know diddly about marketing.

If it doesn't affect the others, fine, okay. Hopefully it'll be good and people will enjoy it. If not, there's still 1 (and 2, for those who like it).

Edited by Mystery Man

If we end up getting proton packs that'll fit over the Turtles' shells, I'd buy a set just to make variants like this:

(picture of Mikey)

FullSizeRender-2_zps052cd7e7.jpg

(let’s see if photobucket link works this time or if it’ll just merge my link with the quote again...

EDIT: About time f**king Photobucket)

Edited by dr baghead

I'm pretty sure the Janine pack was the same mold used for the recent "I Love This Town" 4 pack, which has all 4 proton packs and can be purchased at retail price.

http://lukestoystore.com/ghostbusters-minimates-i-love-this-town-box-set/

Edited by karamazov80

(picture of Mikey)

FullSizeRender-2_zps052cd7e7.jpg

(let’s see if photobucket link works this time or if it’ll just merge my link with the quote again...

EDIT: About time f**king Photobucket)

Fantastic.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...