UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

I'm flabbergasted !!!

If someone had just posted that Marvel TRU Wave 9 included 'Warpath/Angel','Moonstone/Bullseye','Gauntlet Tony/Stealth IM' & 'Hulkbuster/Gamma' this site would have crashed .

DST/TRU are re-releasing all four of the four rarest GB sets in one fell swoop & barely a dickybird . :rolleyes:

Imagine how this guy will feel when he finds out ? http://cgi.ebay.com/Ghostbusters-Minimates...DefaultDomain_0

OK, you've got a point. I guess I just wanted a little variance, but from that perspective, I guess it's cool that they're doing this.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be glad to pick up the energized terror dog finally to complete my set. Plus, that taxi driver ghost never gets old. I hope others'll have a chance at getting these if they missed out the first time.

And that glowing Stay Puft bank looks too cool! I'll be getting one of those, I hope!

Okay, let me say this. I personally am glad to have the chance at the Ray/Stay pack. However, I am more than a little miffed that means the secondary market price will go down. This is why reissues are a bad thing, because now I can't sell it for $45. But this is why reissues are a good thing, because now i don't have to spend $45. See? Never let it be said I'm not a hypocrite.

if you noticed, the boxes say "best of" on them. The originals for obvious reasons dont. So it will be pretty easy to distinguish which ones are original releases and whgich ones are best ofs. I had to do this when i was looking for an original wave 2 slimed peter and clear slimer pack. No one on ebay understood the whole "food in the belly thing". I looked on the database to see that the first wave version did not have the "TRU" sticker on it, while the re-issue did. Burt i digress, im pretty sure that my original ray/stay pack will be worth considerably more that the re-issue. /end on non-sensical rambling.

I say if there's a demand for these mates and DST wants to rerelease them, more power to them. It's not like the secondary market is putting any extra money in DST's pockets, so why should they feel bad about lowering the "value" of the original releases? These are toys, people who want them should be able to get them easily and for a fair price. Once again DST handles Ghostbusters the exact opposite way that Mattel does, and they continue to be better for it.

But doesn't Mattel re-release anything that is remotely popular? They have re-released almost every MOTUC figure, and have done it for nearly every popular DCUC character (with more coming all the time). How is what they are doing different than DST? The fact that the MOTU figures are only available online?

Matty, DST, Medicom, Hasbro, they seem prone to re-release anything, making it difficult for people to feel that they have a "special reasonably rare collectible" when they buy something. Personally, it doesn't bother me too too much, but it is kind of a bummer that the value of some of my toys goes down. If I ever need to sell for whatever reason, those Ghostbusters just won't be worth what they otherwise would be, because DST is flooding the market until the consumers say "no more!" Sideshow is a hold-out, realizing that their customer base wouldn't like such behavior (though it pains me when I wish I could get a cheaper statue here or there). And Hot Toys re-uses parts a fair amount, but has been pretty good about not giving fans exact re-releases. But other companies just don't seem to care about any of that. For better or worse, they will do whatever in the pursuit of profit.

To wakka's point, I don't personally think that the original packaging will make the other figures more valuable in the long run. I just don't think Minimates are that kind of collectible.

Well, with Mattel I was mostly talking about the "people who want them should be able to get them easily and for a fair price" bit. Their monthly flurry of selling vastly overpriced toys isn't my thing at all. They're missing out on making sales to more casual people like myself, who don't think their stuff is worth the price they're asking and aren't interested in fighting to buy each figure one at a time. With Minimates in TRU, I can usually just walk in and grab what I want, and the whole wave costs me about what one Mattel figure costs. One Mattel figure that is usually a recycled body with minimal accessories.

As for value, I still say Minimates are just toys. I think it's a good thing that people will be able to walk into TRU and grab those Ghostbusters they're missing, versus some guy making a buck off some other guy who missed out on something he'd like to own. In my eyes, the value of my collection is no different now that other people will get to have the same things I currently enjoy.

As for value, I still say Minimates are just toys. I think it's a good thing that people will be able to walk into TRU and grab those Ghostbusters they're missing, versus some guy making a buck off some other guy who missed out on something he'd like to own. In my eyes, the value of my collection is no different now that other people will get to have the same things I currently enjoy.

If only the fellows scalping Marvel Minimate exclusives all over the place would think the same way :(

Would it be stupidly optimistic to pray Vigo, the Scolari brothers, Lady Liberty, et al. might find their way into a Best Of wave too?

Bob, your attitude towards minimates is dangerously naive. It is probably because I haven't eaten or slept but you're ticking me off. I hate that 'everyone should be able to find them' attitude. Has i ever occurred to you that their rarity is their protection? Example: If you can find minimates, that means they're not selling. This is not Hasbro. DST doesn't make 40 million Bumblebees. These are minimates which few people know about. If you were able to just walk into any TRU and get them, that means they're not selling and DST would go bottoms up. The fact that we, the hardcore fans, are scoping out TRUs, and scalpers are stalking the good stuff and injecting it into ebay, is a GOOD thing. The HB/Gamma Hulk pack that just came out. As BHM can testify to in a way that is strangely uncomfortable, the pack was fetching high prices at first. But as more and more flooded the market, the price started dropping below retail in some cases, giving KA a chance to get them, the poor sap. Also, the rarity of second hand minimates promotes future lines. You couldn't get wave 2 black Spidey? Fine, buy more in the hope they DST will drop a not-quite-variant-skirting Black Spidey in wave 20whatever (which they did). If there wasn't a demand for him because he was rare, they wouldn't have released him. Lastly, there are more and more fans coming in every day. This drives the prices up, even on the new stuff. Demand is quickly outpacing supply, which, again, is a good thing, keeping DST in business. I'm sorry you can't find Minimates. Next time you see an empty peg, smile a little as it is a sign that we're going to get more in the future. And if you don't like it, quit. No one is forcing you to buy minimates. they are TOYS, not food or anything else. Their intention is 1) to be fun and 2) an investment. in that order. If you don't like the investment part, go play with mud.

Raider, I offered to buy you both wave 3 and 4, both times you graciously said no thanks. Also, you don't get minimates over there as a pure matter of geography. I don't see what you have to complain about wanting a re-release wave. :P

Now I'm gona go eat and take a nap.

Bob, your attitude towards minimates is dangerously naive.

Quoted for irony.

You've actually got that all backwards. People not being able to find your toys is never a good thing for a company. DST would much rather new buyers be able to find these sets on TRU shelves than be forced to covet them from a far on eBay. It does no one (except the seller) any good to have unobtainable figures.

Until RGB kicks in, we are becoming more and more limited in what we can see from this line, so now is a great time to release some older sets that the newer fans can scoop up to fill in those holes in their collections. Never mistake the secondary market's interest in a line with the general public's. The secondary market is just that, secondary.

This line has been handled beautifully from the start.

Their intention is 1) to be fun and 2) an investment. in that order. If you don't like the investment part, go play with mud.

TM2, with all due respect, that is absolute rubbish. DST is not making Minimates for collectors to buy as "investments". They are a company who is trying to get as much product out as it can to people who wants to buy it, using the retail channels that they have available, without oversaturating the market.

To this end, the Ghostbusters "Best Of" waves are a big part of that. There are subtle changes to the re-releases as well as to the packaging, for all the completists, but the primary function is to get product back out onto the shelves for people to buy, in the knowledge that the production runs initially sold very well. It's a very sensible policy and one that I would love to see happen with the TRU Marvel stuff.

TRU Ghostbuster Minimates (GBMs) were an instant success & sold on ebay from day one at prices often double or more than TRU retail. GBM Box set 1 now often sells for 3 or 4 times its original price. My 'Guide' has reflected these prices since I added them to the Discussion thread some months ago......I haven't changed them since & it was with some satisfaction that I reported that the newly announced Wave included all four of the four most-prized & priciest GB Minimates . I've known that those four were hardly showing on ebay & when they did they were commanding top prices. I have multiples of each & apart from a trade here & there I've never sold a box-set for above (the UK )cost & I've never sold any GB TRU sets ever. If anyone knows different....'out' me ! I shall be attempting to add the next TRU wave to my collection whether they are the same or not

That said I ,personally,don't feel that DST/TRU is wrong to re-release them but it doesn't stop me feeling that I have somehow been kicked in the crotch. I buy every damned thing they sell whether it be crap or a gem but I don't expect to see the same stuff released again.

My packets of Rulk & Skaar don't come with a note saying "If these are worth fuck-all in 6 months time bring them back for a full refund" so why shoudn't I be a bit 'precious' of my 'Deadpools,Angels & Exploding Stay Pufts.

Hey TM2, I'm sick and just had a pretty sleepless night, so I'm tired too, but in such a way that I'm not too interested in a bitter argument. Besides, people seem to be jumping in to say a lot of what I think anyway, so I'll just toss out a couple replies to things you said.

Bob, your attitude towards minimates is dangerously naive. It is probably because I haven't eaten or slept but you're ticking me off.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to upset anyone, but I don't see how what I said is "dangerous" or worth getting actively angry about.

If you were able to just walk into any TRU and get them, that means they're not selling and DST would go bottoms up.

On the contrary, I'd say if people are buying them for scalper prices on eBay, those are sure sales that DST isn't taking advantage of. It means the supply they're producing isn't meeting demand. That means less sales for DST and more unhappy customers who either have to go without the toys they want or pay way too much for them.

I'm sorry you can't find Minimates. Next time you see an empty peg, smile a little as it is a sign that we're going to get more in the future. And if you don't like it, quit. No one is forcing you to buy minimates. they are TOYS, not food or anything else. Their intention is 1) to be fun and 2) an investment. in that order. If you don't like the investment part, go play with mud.

I don't know where you got the impression that I can't find anything at TRU. Actually, I'm almost entirely complete on Ghostbusters from there (haven't picked up the Peter and Ray packs from wave 4 because money's short) and I've seen most of the Marvel stuff, including exclusives. I have what I want AND I'm happy that other people will get a chance to own them too. But I guess since I'm happy on both fronts, I should just play with mud.

My last post was snappy. I apologize. I shouldn't have taken my bad day out on yall, especially you Bob, and I'm sorry.

Every sale that a scalper makes DOES get DST money. The Scalper had to buy them, right? I'd be less inclined to say that about loose mates, as they've probably changed hands 3 or 4 times by now, but especially with the MOC ones, someone had to buy them before they could sell them, and DST made their money off the initial sale. Now, if they're selling from scalper to scalper, maybe not.

DST has said in the past that because of the economy, they can't over extend themselves. I'd rather see empty pegs that did sell, rather than pegwarmers just sitting there. I'm sure DST would agree with me. If they weren't making enough money they'd stop making them all together. Case in point. DST flooded the shelves with BSG, and lost money in a big way when they went on clearance.

I kinda meant that a collectors intentions towards toys are for fun and for an investment. I've never known a MISB collector who didn't have resale at the back of his mind somewhere, and I've never known a loose collector who didn't get pleasure from his toys.

Anyways... yeah. :/

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Which is why I said "using the retail channels they have available, without saturating the market".

They obviously got good sell-through figures from TRU, so TRU then commissions more product, including stuff they know sells (using the sales figures). It sounds like a winner in my book.

I'm sorry that I didn't go back and read through everything here since the announcement of best of wave 2 but are there any notable differences in any of these figures that would make them a desire for someone wanting to get the variations of each figure?

I'm sorry that I didn't go back and read through everything here since the announcement of best of wave 2 but are there any notable differences in any of these figures that would make them a desire for someone wanting to get the variations of each figure?

Nope. Just a way for people to get the figures that they previously missed out on.