UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

Maybe it's not so out of the question for these to come back as well. The 7" line is getting some attention from DST at the moment, with 2 new waves hitting TRU.

There's definitely a window of opportunity, but TRU's got to agree. Which means this stuff has got to move. I can only speak for what I've seen in my area (4 TRUs), but it's off to a really slow start with over-flowing pegs that seem untouched. :(

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An ill omen: the 7" borg series had been reportedly cancelled due to lack of retailer interest. On the last couple trips I've taken to TRU, I've seen rafts of the Playmates movie crap clogging the pegs (with the few classic Trek offerings from DST stagnating, as well), so I'm wondering if the market for Trek stuff is pretty well dried up.

... I'm wondering if the market for Trek stuff is pretty well dried up.

More like saturated.

There's oodles of Trek stuff because retailers overbought. Apparently they were expecting Star Wars: Episode VII rather than Star Trek 2.0. Yes, this might be a more kid-friendly Trek but it's better to sell through and have to reorder than sit on excess and obsolete inventory.

Playmates still plans on releasing a second wave of figures this fall, probably to tie in with the home video release. Hopefully by then retailers will be able to clearance most of the current figures so they can stock the new ones. I really want to finish my Bridge and Transporter playsets and don't want to wait for another Trek movie to do so.

... I'm wondering if the market for Trek stuff is pretty well dried up.

More like saturated.

There's oodles of Trek stuff because retailers overbought. Apparently they were expecting Star Wars: Episode VII rather than Star Trek 2.0. Yes, this might be a more kid-friendly Trek but it's better to sell through and have to reorder than sit on excess and obsolete inventory.

Playmates still plans on releasing a second wave of figures this fall, probably to tie in with the home video release. Hopefully by then retailers will be able to clearance most of the current figures so they can stock the new ones. I really want to finish my Bridge and Transporter playsets and don't want to wait for another Trek movie to do so.

About the only one that's in good shape on ST(2009) is Target - they stocked sooo little, that they've barely had any stock at all.

I too folded and got the 3.75" figure set 'cause that bridge was too darn cool to pass on. I'm waiting to round out wave 2 so I can get the pieces finished.

Sorry to hear about the Borg wave - I was lookin' forward to adding 7 of 9 to my collection.

Seems like the DST classic ST stuff (as well as the BSG) is moving at TRU - these always seem to come in and go out regularly, so I don't think it's all about the ST property. The hotwheels 1:50 Starship die cast are also blowing off the shelves.

It's also not only the ST stuff that's clogging the pegs... has anyone checked out SW lately - same old assortments of lousy characters - anyone building an army of 6-breasted women and obscure cantina aliens?

BTW - Walmart did a price cut to move these a little better - 6" line went from $9.99 to $6.96 and the 3.75" went from $6.99 to $4.96.

Edited by captain_cbecker

• 3 weeks later...

didn't seem worth doing a thread necro on my customs thread but I've been doing some trek army building of my own.

and since I dont want to derail the current subject as far as the hot wheels ships go are the new enterprise and the bird of prey out yet?

I think it was mentioned before, but be sure to drop TRU a line asking them to expand into Star Trek Minimates. We the success they've seen with Marvel, T2, and hopefully BSG and Ghostbusters, it seems that they are very interested in supporting this line. Especially as materials become more costly, getting two characters with every purchase is only going to show these as being a better value to the consumer.

As for the ST movie figures, was I the only one that didn't care for the quality of the molds? I was really excited for the line but after seeing the articulation and their inability to capture the characters likeness, I just couldn't get into the line. Indeed, the only figure I even kind of wanted was the "Old Spock" figure, which seems to be the only missing now. However, if the Enterprise ever gets a price reduction, I may have to set that up next to my old TNG 1701-D Playmates ship.

didn't seem worth doing a thread necro on my customs thread but I've been doing some trek army building of my own.

and since I dont want to derail the current subject as far as the hot wheels ships go are the new enterprise and the bird of prey out yet?

I've seen the hotwheels Enterprise (Constitution Refit), Enterprise-D, Reliant and Bird of Prey on the shelf.

I have the Consitution refit ship and am waiting for the new motion picture Enterprise. Try Walmart or Target (near the rest of the Hotwheels Product). TRU has also had them - i've seen them stocked with both the ST figures and the vehicles.

I made a Janeway minimate using Commander Sisko's body and BSC Cally's head, hair and hands. I am going to get a New BSG Boomer (Sharon) from series one and use her hair, it just has not arrived yet. It would be Janeway from early in Season Four when she had a ponytail but I did not get a pic from behind, sorry.

post-2931-1247502087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captain Paco

• 2 weeks later...

I saw where DST was selling some of the pre-existing stock at their booth, but sadly, nothing new on display, nor do I recall reading any reports about any new stuff down the line. I think the report from the Minimate panel acknowledged the line, but I can't recall anything really positive mentioned.

Just combed the first hand report and here's all I could find, from Ivan's day one report:

• DST isn't seeing much of a bounce from the new Trek movie. It'll likely help in the future though. As we've heard before, they don't have rights to the new movie. Playmates has a finite window to produce Trek toys. DST has a five year license for their Trek and will likely extend it for another five.

Sounds like the standard figures aren't moving much better than the Minimates were. Still, its nice to hear that they intend to keep the license for the long haul. Guess we can take some hope from that.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i'll be damned!!!! This is NOT what i expected at all when i checked AFI today!! One of their writers decided to check his local Target in hopes that the reset of toy aisles was complete. what he found was a BRAND NEW AISLE devoted entirely to Vinyl Figures!! It's even labeled "Vinyl Figures & Trading Cards!!" Well, i took a look at the picture, and while many of those seemed new to me, one caught my eye:

bf0wp4.jpg

What the hell?? This is really new...and very good news for Minimates!!

I think somebody already mentioned those in another thread (darned if I can find it now), these just look like older series consigned from local comic shops. Sorry TTF. (If it makes you feel any better, I as genuinely hoping for a Trek comeback too :()

I know that they're Series 3. :P I'm just saying that, with Target *maybe* sotcking them, there's a chance. ;)

Quite frankly, i want the line to come back for a Seven of Nine minimate. when she got cancelled in DST's other line, i was very mad.

All i'm saying is this may be good news...:ermm:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

While that's interesting it's not enough to get me excited yet. If they just picked up some overstock from somewhere, then no surprise that it's series 3. It always seemed like the weakest wave to me. It's the one wave that I didn't buy any of. I wonder if ST 'mates would have done better if they had skipped this wave and gone straight to wave 4.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this announcement at ActionFigureInsider and couldn't help wondering if DST was losing the Trek license altogether:

COSTA MESA, CA (October 5, 2009) - At the 2009 Dallas Toy Fair, Playmates Toys Inc., a leader in creating imaginative and innovative toy experiences and sustaining evergreens, will launch many thrilling new additions to their established properties, in support of highly successful entertainment brands and toward the debut of several new branded toy lines.

STAR TREK – Live Long and Prosper

With nearly 40 years of heritage in the STAR TREK franchise, Playmates will build on the excitement generated by the blockbuster STAR TREK movie directed by J.J. Abrams with an offering of new toys and collectibles based on the 2009 movie and the classic original series catalyst STAR TREK. In addition to new waves of 3.75” action figures, role play accessories and iconic vehicles two new segments will be introduced in the movie line that should appeal to both the long time fan and the younger fans alike. The STARFLEET DEFENDER line includes a full array of movie characters articulated in small-scale in dynamic animated-style action poses. Collectible iconic mini space ships from the 2009 movie include the U.S.S. Enterprise, the U.S.S. Kelvin, and the Narada. And for the first time ever, Playmates will introduce 3.75” GALAXY EDITION action figures and diorama’s based on the classic Star Trek series. These figures will be highly detailed with authentic life-like likenesses and feature over 16 points of articulation. Iconic scenes from the most popular episodes will be depicted in two-figure pack dioramas. So jump on the U.S.S. Enterprise and Live Long and Prosper with the STAR TREK products for young and older.

That mention of "small-scale, animated-style" figures could specifically be the final nail in the Trek Minimates coffin. Which would suck mugatu balls for this Trekkollector.

I think the various Marvel products out there shows that there's plenty of room for more than one manufacturer to dip into the same well.

Of course, given the less than stellar performance of Playmates' Trek movie line, one has to wonder if this will actually breath some interest into the license.

I'm kind'a torn on this news personally. While I absolutely love (we'll just call it 1:18 scale) figures, I'm not sure if I'm a Trekkie enough to start all over with this property at this stage in my life (or if Playmates will be able to pull-it-off. "T-crotches" in '09? No sale. My 2'' 'mates have better range of motion! :P ). I'd have been all over this several years ago (especially with nicely done TOS playsets and vehicles), but the (TOS) Trek 'mates satisfied that need (well, nearly...still needed more aliens though) and at a small enough scale as to not completely infringe on my living space. I was fairly impressed with the over-saturated movie stuff (especially the playsets), but thankfully didn't give in to the temptation. Depending on how nice the TOS stuff is, I could possibly be swayed, but it would take something amazing. I'd much rather have a few new additions to my 'mate collection...Romulans, Andorians, etc. (we've bantered about this enough).

It does sound like they are going to dabble in the oh-so-trendy "heroes squad"-esque figurines which could inhibit a return of Trek 'mates, but I think there's room in the universe (license allowing) for both. I suppose we'll just have to play the wait-n-see game as to what this truly (or even TRUly) means for us.

I already have the whole TOS cast in MM form. I don't have a real desire to collect them all again. As much as I love TOS, I was really excited that 'Trek MM were branching out beyond TOS tv show, but then it ended. If these 1:18 scale Playmates figures are really nice AND branch out past TOS then I might be tempted, but I doubt they will do either.

I will likely purchase into the new line but I really like the current version of Minimates. I liked the AA Minimates (3" line that only had Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Gorn, Mugato, Khan.) I have every Star Trek minimate of the 2" line except the unification Spock, which I would like to get one in my collection. I woud like to get more TNG and DS9 of this same style but I think I will have to stop holding my breath. I will keep collecting Minimates but I will always be collecting Star Trek. I know one wish I would make to a genie if I found one, would be to have minimates of all the characters of all the trek serieses made for me to have in my collection at the least.

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens. Happy Collecting and Happy Hunting.