UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

Hello, I am new to the Minimate Multiverse. I am a huge collector of the Star Trek Minimates. I am even working to customize a few. I am working on an Andorian and Lokai, one of the Cheron's from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. I would think that DST would have completed TOS and then moved to TNG and so forth. I liked the fact you had all the bridge crew in the first two waves. I like the Rand and Chapel mates as well as the Mirror mates but we did not need Admiral Kirk and Captian Scott from WOK and Captain Decker and the Ilia Probe from TMP unless we were to get a complete crew. I love the Picard Mate and I think the borg mate is cool but I want more. It would be easy to get Riker since the have Picard and if color changing is easy then Geordi, Data, O'Brien and more from TNG would be easy. Same for DS9 since they have two version of Sisko and they can then do Voyager and Movie TNG characters all very easy so that should assist them in production.

I want more Star Trek Minimates. I understand that DST did not get the license for the new movie but they still have the license to make Star Trek minimates and they could use the new movie as a way to get the minimates to the fans thay maybe have not experienced them yet.

Thank you for having a site like this.

Captain Paco

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually 'going through' my loose collection of Star Trek 'mates this weekend & I'm afraid there aren't too many highlights although I still like them. The Borg 'mate still amazes me why it was never some sort of sensational 'must have'....but its not is it? I can't actually recall a loose one on ebay?

Hello, I am new to the Minimate Multiverse. I am a huge collector of the Star Trek Minimates. I am even working to customize a few. I am working on an Andorian and Lokai, one of the Cheron's from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. I would think that DST would have completed TOS and then moved to TNG and so forth. I liked the fact you had all the bridge crew in the first two waves. I like the Rand and Chapel mates as well as the Mirror mates but we did not need Admiral Kirk and Captian Scott from WOK and Captain Decker and the Ilia Probe from TMP unless we were to get a complete crew. I love the Picard Mate and I think the borg mate is cool but I want more. It would be easy to get Riker since the have Picard and if color changing is easy then Geordi, Data, O'Brien and more from TNG would be easy. Same for DS9 since they have two version of Sisko and they can then do Voyager and Movie TNG characters all very easy so that should assist them in production.

I want more Star Trek Minimates. I understand that DST did not get the license for the new movie but they still have the license to make Star Trek minimates and they could use the new movie as a way to get the minimates to the fans thay maybe have not experienced them yet.

Thank you for having a site like this.

Captain Paco

Hey all,

Just looked at my list of customs and I've actually got more customs than official ones. How bad is that? Will start posting them soon.

Take care,

Matty-lad

• 4 weeks later...

This is the line I think about at work. I'm sad that it's kaput. I guess I'll never get my Lt. Barclay minimate. Remember that one where they all de-evolved? That's make a great wave. A half spider head piece? http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/20030...o-a/240x320.jpg

But Star Trek is an incresingly(sp) niche market. That's why I'm stoaked on the movie, good or bad, at least the name is out there again. Maybe they'll make Voyager II.

Ooo Voyager mates. There's dream. lol Just like Wave 2 of Street Fighter.

Edited by 616commando

Never got Data, or Worf, or Riker. Lame. We do have about 50 Kirks, though, and when they choose to do convention exclusives--another Spock.

Edited by karamazov80

The new Trek film is poised to tear things up at the box office with glowing reviews, so I wonder if Trek 'mates (while not directly tying in to the new film) might get a new lease on life due to renewed interest in the property as a whole....

I sure hope so. I just got back from seeing Trek last night and was FLOORED! Amazing movie! It wipes it ass with Wolverine (as far as movie quality goes). If Star Trek doesn't have a ressurgeance after this weekend, I'm a monkey's uncle.

chimp_picking_nose.jpg

D'oh! Anywho, I sure hope this movie is the shot in the arm DST needs to get Trek mates back on course.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I would think the new movie would generate some interest. I'm not even excited about the movie and I'm still finding myself tempted to buy some new Trek stuff, and I haven't bought anything but minimates in years. I can't believe I'm the only one.

I would think the new movie would generate some interest. I'm not even excited about the movie and I'm still finding myself tempted to buy some new Trek stuff, and I haven't bought anything but minimates in years. I can't believe I'm the only one.

Get excited. It was the best thing I've seen all year. And that includes Watchmen and Gran Tornio.

Hell It's as good as Iron Man and the Dark Knight. Maybe even better than Iron Man. Actually, it was better than Iron Man and as good as The Dark Knight. Because Iron Man had one absolutely brillaint cast member, Star Trek had, like, 15.

Kirk=Perfest

Spock=logically his casting is perfect

McCoy=Dammit Jim, I'm a perfectly cast doctor not an physicist.

Scotty= I'm giving all the perfection I've got captian! Thankfully it's enough and I nailed this role.

Chekov=My casting was perfectly suited to be Chekov on this Wessel.

Sulu=Perfection ahead warp 9 captain.

Uhura=Captain I'm picking up a transmission. It says I'm perfectly cast.

And Pike, Nero, and Sarek were amazing on this too.

Plus Leonard Nimoy. How can it go wrong?

Get excited. It was the best thing I've seen all year. And that includes Watchmen and Gran Tornio.

Hell It's as good as Iron Man and the Dark Knight. Maybe even better than Iron Man. Actually, it was better than Iron Man and as good as The Dark Knight. Because Iron Man had one absolutely brillaint cast member, Star Trek had, like, 15.

Kirk=Perfest

Scotty= I'm giving all the perfection I've got captian! Thankfully it's enough and I nailed this role.

And the academy award for "overexcited fanboy who is trying too hard to get others to like this movie" goes to... ;)

T.

:wallbash:

Gosh, you're right. The newest movie in the franchise is going to pull in around $77 million in three days and is currently getting a 96% rating at Rotten Tomatoes. People are buzzing about how Trek is "cool." It's crazy to think that just maybe this could lead to a general resugence of interest in Trek that DST might be able to take advantage of.

:wallbash:

Gosh, you're right. The newest movie in the franchise is going to pull in around $77 million in three days and is currently getting a 96% rating at Rotten Tomatoes. People are buzzing about how Trek is "cool." It's crazy to think that just maybe this could lead to a general resugence of interest in Trek that DST might be able to take advantage of.

If only they'd gotten the rights to the movie, have to say I find some amusement ( schadenfreude?) that DST struggle to make Trek stuff viable for years and the one thing that might give it public credibility is the one thing they are not onboard with! ;)

T.

Kirk=Perfest

And the academy award for "overexcited fanboy who is trying too hard to get others to like this movie" goes to... ;)

T.

Hey, gotta remember my name is TREKKER 42. But thank you

I'd like to thank my mom for being such an inspiration...

BTW: It's good to have you back old man.

Edited by Trekker 42

If only they'd gotten the rights to the movie, have to say I find some amusement ( schadenfreude?) that DST struggle to make Trek stuff viable for years and the one thing that might give it public credibility is the one thing they are not onboard with! ;)

T.

Its a real shame they didn't get the licence, coz that playmates stuff looks really crappy

Though I'd love to see the Trek line continue, and springboarding off of the new movie would be a good way to keep the line going, I can live without 'mates based on this film.

After all, the Minimates aren't sculpted to specifically match the shape of the actors, so you'd basically be getting slightly repainted rereleases of the figures we already have. Sure, the hair might be different, and there might be a nice fancy pattern on the clothes now, but otherwise, its the same thing.

Weren't we all complaining before about them beating us to death with Kirk and Spock variants?

I think they'd be different enough to sell.

I mean we have the completely new:

- Nero

- Flight Suits (from the drill scene)

- Romulons

- Red "Academy" Suits

- Old Spock

Plus, changes in all the characters warrant enough from them to stand out against their original series counterparts.

- Nero

- Romulons

- Red "Academy" Suits

- Old Spock

Plus, changes in all the characters warrant enough from them to stand out against their original series counterparts.

Oh yeah... This would be a great series or 2...

Plus Pike looks incredibly different I think. And he was a rather important part...

- Nero

- Romulons

- Red "Academy" Suits

- Old Spock

I'd buy all those if it would convince DST to give us the DS9 crew.

- Nero

- Romulons

- Red "Academy" Suits

- Old Spock

I'd buy all those if it would convince DST to give us the Final Five from BSG. <_<

TNG and DS9 box sets with just the essential characters/villains would be pretty great, and would probably sell, IMO.

Even if DST wanted to jump back into that boat by the time they got any product ready the buzz will have died off and you guys would be right where you are now.

Exactly. If we wanted to ride the wave of the new Star Trek, DST and AA would have had to get to work on this stuff many months ago. Anything they could scrape together and get out there now would be months after the movie had left theaters, maybe even after the DVD release.

That's not to say that its impossible, I'm just saying the timing would suck tremendously.

You'd think TRU would have been all over Trek Minimate exclusives. They seem to be going all out for Minimates right now and I think a wave of TNG mates with the whole crew and a couple other characters would have been a perfect fit for the Trek plan they seem to have going, especially with all the buzz about Trek right now.

Once again, a huge opportunity has been missed.