UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

Agreed, but if the exclusive were Data or Geordi, can you imagine the outrage from Minimate collectors?

Since this exclusive is an actual show-based figure, not just "popular character with elf hat," I'm gonna have to get one. I just hope they made enough that I'll be able to score one at a reasonable price.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but if the exclusive were Data or Geordi, can you imagine the outrage from Minimate collectors?

Since this exclusive is an actual show-based figure, not just "popular character with elf hat," I'm gonna have to get one. I just hope they made enough that I'll be able to score one at a reasonable price.

Hey all,

Being a Star Trek completist, I'm going to have to track down at least one (possibly 2 with custom ideas running through my head......)

Take care,

Matty-lad

Yeah, I can hear a handful of collectors saying, "Oh, it's just another Spock." You're right. Had it been a new character, people would be going apeshit.

That said, I want one, too. Hopefully if the movie does well and merchandise flies off the shelves, DST will get more interest. The obvious problem being the movie has nothing to do with the Minimates with the exception of "Old Spock" making an appearance. DST is clearly trying to leverage what they can. ("Hey, look, Toy Fair attendees! We've got an Old Spock in our Minimates line, too! Have an order form!")

I just hope the new movie generates interest in the franchise as a whole. I still want to see this guy get made. ;)

It just pisses me off that they were giving something away to people that might not care one way or another, when I (and I'm sure others) would pay money for the damn thing if it were offered in a wave or set. It just feels like an insult or something.

You know, I've been thinking that maybe DST has a good strategy by not showing new Star Trek mates right now. They clearly don't have the toy license for the new movie, so they can't make mates off the film. In this movie year, collectors are going to have their wallets stretched thin with all the new product from Playmates and others, and casual fans will probably want one or two toys from the new film - which DST can't produce.

Let's assume DST comes out with some TNG/DS9 mates for Toy Fair 2010. By that time, interest in the new film will have died down, but there will still be some general awareness of Star Trek. People who were brought into Star Trek fandom will have checked out some of the older shows, and will be looking for something new to buy. This would be the perfect environment in which to give us a TNG all-stars wave. I personally don't mind waiting a year if it means more Trek Minimates.

Previews is listing Star Trek Wave 5 again. Here is the interesting part: The code used is O/A (Offered Again).

This code is used for items that have sold so well, that manufacturers are offering the product again with another production run. The Alex Ross Obama shirt sold so well it was "Offered Again" four times last year and new shirts were made because of the sell-outs. The Iron Man Movie Minimates are also being "Offered Again" and we know these sold very well.

If an item did not sell well and the manufacturer wants to give it another shot, the code is RES.

So ... this looks VERY good for Star Trek Minimates.

Edited by Jatta Pake

• 3 weeks later...

Well another jolt from the defibrillator in today's Q&A. From Chuck's mouth, the line is "not retired it’s just on hold to see if we can come up with something that works."

He did divulge that Trek has been on a clear downward trend, with series three selling half of one and two's volume, and series four a third of that volume; no info on wave five sales. I wonder if there's any way to measure whether the TNG and DS9 packs sold well...

Seemed like an unusual amount of fanboy venom in this round of questions, too. Had Chuck on the defensive in a few long answers.

Box sets, Box sets, Box sets!!!

I think box sets would be the best way for Trek to continue. It might not lead to a line that lasts for years like Marvel but making some sets like TNG bridge crew, DS9 bridge crew, Trek Aliens (especially Klingons) would probably sell well.

Seemed like an unusual amount of fanboy venom in this round of questions, too. Had Chuck on the defensive in a few long answers.

Ever the diplomat, Chuck handled it with aplomb.

There are times when I'm nostalgic for the Trek Talk on the old AA boards... but this Q&A is a reminder of how single-minded and spiteful some of them were. I know that not all Trek fans are like that of course, unfortunately the obnoxious ones also seem to be the loudest. :)

On the topic of box sets, what if that were the way forward with Trek? If DST were to do box sets for the other series, or even for aliens, to round out the lines, who would be "must-haves?"

Here's my list:

TNG

Riker

Crusher

Data

Geordi

Warf

DS9

Kira

Odo

Dax

Bashir

Quark

Voyager

Janeway

Chakotay

Tuvok

7 of 9

EMH

Edited by Lobsterman

On the topic of box sets, what if that were the way forward with Trek? If DST were to do box sets for the other series, or even for aliens, to round out the lines, who would be "must-haves?"

Here's my list:

TNG

Riker

Crusher

Data

Geordi

Warf

DS9

Kira

Odo

Dax

Bashir

Quark

Voyager

Janeway

Chakotay

Tuvok

7 of 9

EMH

I'd like to see some of the TWOK characters finished up:

Spock

Saavik

McCoy

Chekov

Khan

Here's a cool set:

Aliens of Star Trek

Klingon

Borg

Romulan

Andorian

tmsaltvampire.jpg

And whatever that thing is... :thumbsup:

ALL HAIL THE SALT VAMPIRE!!!

That is still one of the coolest aliens from trek. Sad that it never showed up again. Oh right... it's the last one.

Here's a cool set:

Aliens of Star Trek

Klingon

Borg

Romulan

Andorian

If we got Worf as a representative gnarly-head Klingon in a TNG set, and because we already have a Borg, those two spots could be an opportunity to get more creative with other aliens... maybe a mini-Mugato and the black-and-white-faced guy... or... Space Lincoln!

Here's a cool set:

Aliens of Star Trek

Klingon

Borg

Romulan

Andorian

If we got Worf as a representative gnarly-head Klingon in a TNG set, and because we already have a Borg, those two spots could be an opportunity to get more creative with other aliens... maybe a mini-Mugato and the black-and-white-faced guy... or... Space Lincoln!

SPAAAAACCCCEEEE LIIIIINNNNNCCCCCOOOOLLLLNNNN!!!

Yes I want a Space Lincoln. Oh I could have so much fun with him (using him as regular Lincoln of course) Oh the time travel possibilities MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Here's a cool set:

Aliens of Star Trek

Klingon

Borg

Romulan

Andorian

tmsaltvampire.jpg

ALL HAIL THE SALT VAMPIRE!!!

That is still one of the coolest aliens from trek. Sad that it never showed up again. Oh right... it's the last one.

On a non-minimate note: the next wave of 7" ST figures from DST are supposed to include the Salt Vampire - I can't wait

On a non-minimate note: the next wave of 7" ST figures from DST are supposed to include the Salt Vampire - I can't wait

Knowing DST's track record with their Trek line, you'll have to wait and wait and wait for them ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

These are not totally dead in the water yet. Check out the latest Q & A over on the Art Asylum website, and I quote:-

"Hi Chuck, any chances we could get Kirk and Spock in their gangster attire from “A Piece of the Action” in Minimate form. I’d certainly love to see Kirk take on the Godfather!"

"DSTChuck: Brandon those were planned at one time and I do think they would make a GREAT two pack so you never know."

Take care,

Matty-lad

Not toally dead, but I think Chuck's comments can be taken however you want to read them. Yes, it's still possible, but there was no definite 'we're still making more Trek'-ness to his comment.

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just not getting my hopes up for this.