UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

In case you missed the latest Q&A over at the AA site, the Star Trek minimate line is officially "on-hold". Chuck from DST said "Right now Trek MM are on hold, we’re going to see how demand is after series 5 and the Mirror box set have had time to be out there for a while."

So if you want more Trek minimates, get out there and buy up those Series 5 and Mirror Mirror sets! :)

Edited by luke314pi

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah! ST on hold!? Man that sucks! This is not a good indication for the future of the line. Seriously, when has any minimate property gone "ON HOLD" and ever come back? None to my knowledge. I sure hope to be proven wrong. We need the rest of ST TNG crew.

Gee, I wonder what DST has in store for their NYCC panel? How's it going to be "2009, Year of the Minimate" with just Marvel, Terminator and the Spirit?

ok hands up who has bought extra's just to make generic "red shirt" type figure's??

i think that it's has been one of the strongest selling point's for me, what they should do is a pure TNG wave for say 3 waves with box sets for TOS to fill out aliens and what not, then DS9 for 3 wave's with box set's of TNG.......etc

:verymad:

Something coming back from hold is rare at best. If sales have dropped enough to put the line on hold then it's not looking good. The only chance is if the new Trek movie is a big hit and reignites interest in all trek shows and increases trek minimate sales.

I know DST says kirk/spock are good for sales but I still believe that if the trek minimates had more aliens and other more visually interesting characters they would have sold a lot better. A lot of the figures were very dull. Seems to be the samething that killed BSG as well.

I'd buy up a lot of picard, sisko and movie kirk/scottie to make customs for the remaining bridge crews but I don't know where to begin in trying to make custom heads for all those characters.

:confused:

Edited by fwoosheyman

I personally think wave 3 is responsible for for the line's "on hold" situation. Other than the Klingon, the line was rather boring with all the Kirks and Spocks in it. It needed more variety, more aliens. I dunno.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Well that's a load of $%!t. I guess I can forget about a finished Next Generation crew.

Well in all fairness, DST told us a long time ago not to expect all of the bridge crews to be completed.

and for the record, I never really cared for trek, but i HATE to see any minimate line end. So to all you uber fans I feel for you....sorry

i've started to post 2x now, but i'm so ticked off, they both started to sound like a rant...so let me just say, this fr!ggin sucks! i wonder, are there any more properties they'd like to hook us on and then cancel before they're complete?

Well that's a load of $%!t. I guess I can forget about a finished Next Generation crew.

Well in all fairness, DST told us a long time ago not to expect all of the bridge crews to be completed.

and for the record, I never really cared for trek, but i HATE to see any minimate line end. So to all you uber fans I feel for you....sorry

Yeah, they did say that, but out of all the series and all the different movies I don't think it's too much to hope for a complete crew from The Next Generation. I mean they could have come close, not just Picard. :rolleyes:

I think we all had a feeling where BSG was going, but to lose BSG and ST - well that' just sucks altogether. The good news was - we got Desperately Seeking Susan... :confused: Don't ask me how that worked out, but the future for non-comic minimates is not looking good.

...and never will be without some frak'n exposure. I realize that advertising costs money, but I think if they'd put a little more effort into targeting fan-bases (web-sites, fan-clubs, etc.) for some of these licenses (BSG and Star Trek specifically), they might be surprised at how many takers (who have no idea what the Hell a Minimate is) they'd have and some of it could potentially be free of charge (I'm not suggesting "spamming", just politely seeing if they would be interested in supporting and going from there). I believe you can attribute the BTTF 'mates' success primarily due to the fact that their fan-club was pushing (as well as investing in exclusives) these. That's the sort of backing that these other licenses need. I'm sorry, but despite how many people have seen BTTF or years it's been viewed on television, I still find it completely inconceivable that their fan numbers rival Star Trek (or even BSG for that matter). Support and commitment are crucial (as well as careful planning of asst.s...which I also believe can be out-lined by passionate fan's input).

Edited by cdubya

what i don't get is if there no interest in trek at the moment how come they keep making the 6" figures, my lcs has never stocked them (but are getting the Borg wave in) so there must be people buying them...

minimates must be cheaper to make then a wave of 3-4 6" figures!!

if they had put Mccoy, Rand & Chapel in wave 3 things would be lot different......

maybe there on hold waiting to see what other companies are doing for the new Trek movie then jump on the gravey train with a smart reboot.....

Edited by winkerbean

Here's what I think would be a guarenteed sell. A TNG boxset with 4 figures:

Riker

Troi

Data

Worf

That would give all of the generic bodies needed. If you throw in extra heads for Geordi and Crusher, you'd be able to get the whole crew, plus ensure multiple sales of the set. Maybe add a Wesley or even a Picard head in to go with the Riker body or a O'Brien or Barclay head for Data and your set. All it would take would be a few new sculpts for hair. You can't tell me this wouldn't sell well and that the cost to make would be too much. And with all of the extra stuff coming with Minimates lately (including alternate heads), this wouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Riker

Troi

Data

Worf

That would give all of the generic bodies needed. If you throw in extra heads for Geordi and Crusher, you'd be able to get the whole crew, plus ensure multiple sales of the set. Maybe add a Wesley or even a Picard head in to go with the Riker body or a O'Brien or Barclay head for Data and your set. All it would take would be a few new sculpts for hair. You can't tell me this wouldn't sell well and that the cost to make would be too much. And with all of the extra stuff coming with Minimates lately (including alternate heads), this wouldn't be too hard to pull off.

I'm not for a second trying to steal your thunder but I proposed a 'Headwave' in the BSG thread . I totally agree with you that in both ST & BSG a commercial compromise would be a box set with perhaps 4 'complete' uniformed figures & perhaps extra heads/hairpieces. If it doesn't happen for BSG/ST I hope the idea will be useful for other future licenses & not just for Skrulls.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Don't ask me how that worked out, but the future for non-comic minimates is not looking good.

...and never will be without some frak'n exposure.

Living in the UK I have often questioned whether & how much Minimate exposure there is in the USA & I remember the 'stock answer' was how it is "often seen in ToyFare" . Until the recent TRU checklist-poster who would know what had previously been available ...even in the Marvel Series? We know because we're the 'ol' faithful' but a new collector wouldn't have a clue unless they came to the 'Verse,HQ,Central or the Database!

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm really, really suprised that DST made so few Next Generation characters. I went nuts over Picard, and his pack with the sweet Borg, was really the only Trek pack that I paid full price for. I would have loved to have had a chance to get Data, Worf and the rest.

I just really have no attachment to the first Trek crew. I saw the repeats and the movies, but the characters just seemed from another time, and I found it a bit hard to identify with them.

The Next Generation, on the other hand, I grew up watching. I still have fond memories of my dad and I sitting around watching the show as it first aired. It was one of the few shows that we both enjoyed equally.

Edited by hypno

Riker

Troi

Data

Worf

I'm not for a second trying to steal your thunder but I proposed a 'Headwave' in the BSG thread . I totally agree with you that in both ST & BSG a commercial compromise would be a box set with perhaps 4 'complete' uniformed figures & perhaps extra heads/hairpieces. If it doesn't happen for BSG/ST I hope the idea will be useful for other future licenses & not just for Skrulls.

The head wave idea isn't bad but the problem is people will complain that they have all these heads and no bodies. Reversable faces like Gul Dukat from the last ST wave is the way to go. If you do it like that, you'll sell twice as many packs with people that want to display both options.

I think DST needs to float pre-orders for a TNG set out there and see what comes up. Riker, Data, Worf, Geordi, Troi. Main characters with easy crew member building potential. I mean it's no Silence of the Lambs or Desperately Seeking Susan, but what the hey...

True about the 2 faces on one mate, but since the hair is different on TNG characters I'm not sure if that could work.

And I agree that TNG needs to be marketed with the main characters. It might not prolong the line as DST might have wanted, but I think it would sell and make them some money.

Yep, an all-star TNG wave would definitely sell. Given this economic climate, that ain't a bad thing at all.

H'lo All,

This is gutting, I was looking forward to seeing plenty of Star Trek Minimates showcased at Toy Fair to capitalise on the general increase in awareness created by the new Movie. I hope that they showcase something to test demand. When Doctor Who relaunched in the UK, it created renewed interested in the classic series, and today, figures based on episodes in the early 1970's sit alongside the current characters.

I am also surprised, as the series was beginning to dabble in TNG and DS9 characters, which given the number of uniform variations in that era takes body-swapping to a whole new level.

I played around with this last night. Doing just one version of 12 leading TNG and DS9 crew members in a specific starfleet uniform could yield over 50 legitimate body-swap figures from the TV shows and Movies, including the two TNG, the Dress, the DS9 and First Contact unifoms. Add to these 12 characters, six army-building aliens (Borg, Ferengi, Klingon, Cardassians, Romuland and Jem'Hadar) and three attractive varients, then you have three waves that would attract multiple purchases all year long.

Overall, "on hold" sounds better than "cancelled".

Fingers crossed.