UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

Now that the Trek movie boat has sailed, perhaps at the very least DST will consider reviving the original Trek Minimate license? I mean, the movie's looking popular enough that it'll start an upsurge of interest for the non-Trekkie moviegoers...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Trek movie boat has sailed, perhaps at the very least DST will consider reviving the original Trek Minimate license? I mean, the movie's looking popular enough that it'll start an upsurge of interest for the non-Trekkie moviegoers...

Yeah, but you have to factor in the time it would take to come up with a line-up and get it cleared by the powers that be, draw the control art and get that cleared by the powers that be, produce the paint master protos and get those cleared by the powers that be, then run a few thousand of them off from the factory, push them through quality control, then ship them off to the US to be sold at retail. Somewhere in there you have to showcase them to potential buyers (TRU, AFX, etc), design packaging art and get it cleared by the powers that be, etc. Do you honestly think they can get all of that done before the buzz on Star Trek has passed? Maybe by the time the DVD comes around, but depending on how long that takes, even that ship could pass.

I'd agree that it would be tough to cash in directly on the movie's success. Unless there were plans already in place, a set of 'mates probably can't be turned around fast enough. But if Trek is generally more popular even after the movie is out of theaters, who knows? Trek was basically dead a week ago, at least now it looks like a viable franchise again.

Trek was basically dead a week ago, at least now it looks like a viable franchise again.

Just do a Google Trends search of "Star Trek" and filter to "last 30 days" to see how true that is.

--MaNa

Ok looking at the google trends it was a dead franchise at the end of March, why do Trekkies always have to get so precious about their somewhat crappy (IMO) franchise.

T.

WOW the ST line must be over if you can say Crappy and ST in one sentece and not me referring to the first movie. DINK DONK the trekkies are gone the trekies are gone!

so any chance we will see more ST mates?

nope, i thought not.

Unfortuntely, i doubt they're gonna announce anything now.

Just ironic, that this is the first time Trek has been "alive" since DST took direct control of the licence and they don't seem to be taking advantage of the extra publicity.

the thing is this...the new star trek movie is getting great reviews but the reviews are from fans and NON FANS. Non Fans are not going to pick up collectables as much as the HARD CORE Trekkies have over the what 30 40 years? I think DST is smart to stay with the classic stuff as that is what appeals to the die hards.

now me personally i never really got into star trek, in fact the original sucked.

but for some, this is their bread and butter and for you I say live long and prosper.

I think it will only be a matter of weeks before the star trek (new movie) stuff will be on clearance, as the figures the accessories flat out are boring...

moc847

Star Trek two packs are clearanced for $1.99 at Urban Outfitters. Good for civilians and custom fodder (not to mention bald chicks) if you care.

Star Trek two packs are clearanced for $1.99 at Urban Outfitters. Good for civilians and custom fodder (not to mention bald chicks) if you care.

If DST were so inclined, they could easily get a few mates out by the time the DVD release is ready to roll. Given the success of this film (which I've now seen twice), I think people are going to be watching for the next Trek film and that it's popularity could continue at a consistent or near consistent level until then. DST hasn't even scratched the surface of the minimates that are available to them to produce with a lot of great characters and great franchises left to create. Who knows, maybe DST has seen the recent success of the movie and is actively working on the licensing agreement with Paramount. Not saying that's the case but it would seem that the movie popularity was having an effect upon the sales of Trek related merchandise.

Edited by jjwspider

can you put up a link

I'm no Trekkie but from what I've seen & heard it seems that the new movie is a winner & an opportunity missed for DST although the choices for the previous waves were not good IMO. Too many dull figures all in the same uniforms which is hardly DST's fault & begs the question can everything be Minimated ......I think I accept that the answer is no.

can you put up a link

No link. Go to the store. I don't know if UO sells them online or not. They were $4.99 a few weeks ago and they lower stuff fairly quickly. They also have Mighty Muggs clearanced for $14.99. Not a great price, but they do have the first wave of GI Joe and some older Marvels. White blanks were $4.99.

There weren't many Star Trek minimates packs left when I went the other day, so if you have a store near you, it might be a good idea to call them first and ask them to check before you go there.

I hate when DST says there's a "shout out" to Trek Minimates in their Q&A, and it consists of a one sentence answer along the lines of "yeah, we did Star Trek Minimates once. They were kind of fun."

Granted, there's only so many ways you can answer the "what happened to Trek Minimates" question...

Edited by Lobsterman

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like if TRU can merchandise Terminator 2 Minimates right next to Playmates' Terminator Salvation toys, they could put Star Trek Minimates along side Playmates' Trek toys, too.

Just a thought.

And a valid thought, I've been thinking about this too. Of course, I think it will be pretty dependent on the Playmates and DST/AA stuff selling-through...but the opportunity and connections certainly seem to be there.

The property is certainly a factor, but so is the product.

Retailers have very few decent action figures in the $6.99 price point. Hasbro's figures are $7.99 and up. Mattel's are $6.99 but generally not moving at that price because there's little perceived value. Playmates seems to be having the same problem.

As a product, Minimates may be able to offer retailers and consumers the value they think they're missing elsewhere. To the average shopper, these are Lego men. They've got about as much articulation and accessories as a standard figure (frequently more) but are customizable, offering a slightly different play pattern. That and for $6.99, you get two.

I'd love to see DST get an endcap of Minimates at TRU, showcasing everything from Marvel Universe and Battlestar Galactica to Ghostbusters and Star Trek.

Is it possible that Star Trek mates may be returning with the Mini Flyers line? The last line of the article on Art Asylum's blog about the BSG Mini Flyers says "Well let’s say the Minimates adventure is just beginning and as with all things, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised." Wasn't the poster tag line for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" "The Human Adventure Is Just beginning"?? Just a guess/thought

Is it possible that Star Trek mates may be returning with the Mini Flyers line? The last line of the article on Art Asylum's blog about the BSG Mini Flyers says "Well let’s say the Minimates adventure is just beginning and as with all things, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised." Wasn't the poster tag line for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" "The Human Adventure Is Just beginning"?? Just a guess/thought

Good catch. At this point, I'd be more surprised if Trek 'mates didn't find a way back to retail.

And in terms of flyers, the line's just screaming for shuttlecraft and runabouts and Argo dune buggies and Scorpions...

And in terms of flyers, the line's just screaming for shuttlecraft and runabouts and Argo dune buggies and Scorpions...

Unless they have some bigger plans (literally) for the expansion of vehicles in their lines, I just don't see these happening...at least not in a way that one would hope. Would you still want a shuttlecraft-flyer if it were say 4" long with a canopy that opened to accommodate one minimate? I have the same reservations about a BSG Raptor (assuming it were possible) unless it were able to seat 2 or more 'mates.

*For TOS 'mates, I highly recommend tracking-down one of the old Playmates Galileo Shuttles as it is absolutely perfect for Minimates (once the enormous seats are removed)! B)

You would think that they would bring Star Trek mates back with the new movie and everything.

And there's nothing to indicate that they won't. I just think that they're being cautious as there is already quite a lot of product out there with the classic 6" (or is it 7"?), die-cast, models, bobble-heads, and not to mention a glut of Playmates' stuff. I agree that the "iron is hot", but I think they might get over-looked or buried in a sea of other merchandise. Besides, there is a ridiculous amount of Marvel, Ghostbusters, T2, BSG, etc. 'mates being generated in the next few months; perhaps they simply lack the man-power to launch another campaign. I still believe that we will hear something soon regarding a re-launch of some sort. ;)