UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

hellboy forum

entertheninja!

Let's talk about hellboy.! :ninja:

Er... okay.

I would kill for Hellboy minimates, or at least a Hellboy/Abe Sapien two-pack. But then we'd need Liz Sherman (with Human Torch-style accessories) too, not to mention Professor Trevor Bruttenholm. Heck, forget the two-pack: I'd kill for a Hellboy/Abe/Liz/Prof boxset... perfect.

I hated the Jonathan Meyer character in the first Hellboy movie. I thought the Golden Army movie was wicked awesome. I bought a Hellboy Qee once, and it came with a free Hellboy comic book... in Mandarin. (Otherwise I really liked Mignola's style in it, and if I had any spare cash I would definitely take up reading all the graphic novels... in English, obviously.)

... And now I am all Hellboy'd out. Have fun everybody.

I have only seen the comics in passing so cant really comment on them but as well as the two live action movies I was very impressed with the two animated hellboy features I have seen "Blood and Iron" and "Sword of Storms" both feature good humour and action as well as I think the original voice actors from the movies. I would recommend both to any comic fan as I rate them up with the Ultimate Avengers cartoons as some of the best hero animation in recent times.

On a side note I think you mean thread not forum in your title. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one BH. I know nothing of the Hellboy character aside from the movies, but I definitely like them and the action figures Mezco has done. I read recently that there won't be a HB3 until Del Toro finishes The Hobbit though. I wonder if they'll continue the animated shorts to keep up the interest or wait until Mignola releases his final HB story to adapt?

I didn't know anything about Hellboy as well, until I started reading it last spring. And I really do like the way Mignola devolps his narration. It's somehow really slow and calm and the action sequences - which take a much bigger part in the movies - are a pretty counterbalance to that. You have to get used to this kind of reading in the first place, but - to say it with Moore - "Sit down and knock it back in one, then wait for your reading experience to undergo a mystifying and alarming transformation. Hellboy is a passport to a corner of funny-book heaven you may never want to leave. Enter and enjoy." I really like the way Mignola uses myth and legends from all over the world to adapt in his stories.

I'd recommand trying to read this one to see if you like it. It gets much better, much deeper and creates its own mood in the following books, but that's were it all begun.

I wonder, if somehow DST were ever to secure the rights to Hellboy minimates, would they go the route of waves or 4-packs? I personally would love to have the standard waves(6mates and variant chase mate). If DST went the route of 4-packs, it'd be cool if they were based of specific story arcs. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'd recommand trying to read this one to see if you like it. It gets much better, much deeper and creates its own mood in the following books, but that's were it all begun.

I think I've finally figured out: the lone Hellboy comic I currently possess is a Mandarin edition of Seed of Destruction. Methinks the original gimmick was that in Hong Kong these editions were originally sold to come with a limited-edition Hellboy Qee... except that I got mine in an urban vinyl boutique rather than a real comic store, so in my case it was backwards (I bought a Hellboy Qee and it came with a free comic book... :P)

Judging by the contents (bear in mind that I don't understand Chinese), I think I can tell that Seed of Destruction is a mighty good book. I love the overall tone and pacing of the narrative panels, and the art really has this fantastic, brooding atmosphere.

Blame it on a simple twist of fate, Raider. ;)

In Germany an audio play company - I don't know if this is the right expression - just created an adio play / radio drama version of "Seed Of Destruction" and "Wake The Devil" (the second HB book) with composed orchestral score, soundeffects and the whole crew of German speakers, who were also dubbing the German speaking version of Del Torro's HB Movies. That's very unique I guess, never heared of a comic book being captured as a radio play. It works pretty well, but each medium - of course - has its own ways to deliver expressions, emotions and characteristics. So that radio drama works very well, but HB's look, the way Mignola creates the overall mood with very simple and calm structured panels is something completely different.

If DST went the route of 4-packs, it'd be cool if they were based of specific story arcs. Just my 2 cents.

That is a very nice idea, MM! Like we could for example have HB, Liz, Abe and one of those frogguys for "Seed of Destruction".

If you guys are getting into Hellboy I can thoroughly recommend the BPRD books that spun off from the regular series.

That's very unique I guess, never heared of a comic book being captured as a radio play.

There's been a comic books adapted into radio plays over here (UK). Back in the 90's a bloke called Dirk Maggs adapted a couple of the larger Judge Dredd epics very successfully. They aired on Radio 1 in ten minute chunks and I have one of them on CD. I think he may also have adapted the Batman story Knightfall but could well be wrong.

I love me some Hellboy. The comics are a really great read. The noir horror/scifi/fantasy plays out very well, especially when the characters treat it all as part of their humdrum experience. The BPRD spin off series' have played out just as well. I really enjoy the HB short story collections almost better than the full-length stories. I especially love the Corpse. That's a great story. I would love to see the Mignola-verse in minimate form.

Mezco did a great job on the comic figures. Their movie figures are pretty nice as well. They did some mez-itz for the first movie and will have some Hell-buddy type (similar to Hasbro's heroes style) figures soon for the second movie, if you are into that kind of thing.

I love me some Hellboy. The comics are a really great read. The noir horror/scifi/fantasy plays out very well, especially when the characters treat it all as part of their humdrum experience. The BPRD spin off series' have played out just as well. I really enjoy the HB short story collections almost better than the full-length stories. I especially love the Corpse. That's a great story. I would love to see the Mignola-verse in minimate form.

Mezco did a great job on the comic figures. Their movie figures are pretty nice as well. They did some mez-itz for the first movie and will have some Hell-buddy type (similar to Hasbro's heroes style) figures soon for the second movie, if you are into that kind of thing.

the lcb i go to has one of the hellboy ones and then a local artist at an art fair made a very cubist sculpture of hellboy which i love and want to but...need money...so broke..power depleting...oh! has anyone heard of Charles Holbert?