UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Math teacher wants to change careers, any suggestions?

hulk197

I'm a high school / middle school math teacher, currently unemployed and only subbing, looking for something else to do with my life. I'm pretty good with the numbers (duh), I can type fairly well, I'm 36 and I'm getting burnt out on teaching. Anybody out there have any ideas of what else I could do? I think I'm qualified to do lots of different jobs that interest me, but so far I've had no takers when applying. Not sure if it's lack of experience in those fields or what... Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Now is, as I'm sure you know, a bad time to be looking for a job. However, someone with Math skills should always have some options. If you can do statistics, then research/data analyst jobs are frequently available in the private and public sectors. If you know Math and have book-keeping skills at all (familiar with spreadsheets, etc.), maybe try contacting local small businesses to see if they need help keeping track of things (bigger businesses would probably hire accountants for this sort of thing). Of course, tutoring would be an option, but that is still teaching. . .

If you don't have much education, then you might consider a government job for the benefits.

I'm just throwing out ideas off the top of my head, by the way, which may be completely useless to you. Good luck.

Edited by karamazov80

True story. A well respected chemistry professor at a midlands (uk) university had to have his hot water tank looked at. While the plumber was working the two men were chatting (as you do) and the subject of career came up. The plumber asked the professor what he did for a living and was quite impressed. He then asked what the professor earned? After he'd finished rolling around laughing he told the professor how much he (the plumber) was earning. The professor left the university and trained as a plumber!

True story. A well respected chemistry professor at a midlands (uk) university had to have his hot water tank looked at. While the plumber was working the two men were chatting (as you do) and the subject of career came up. The plumber asked the professor what he did for a living and was quite impressed. He then asked what the professor earned? After he'd finished rolling around laughing he told the professor how much he (the plumber) was earning. The professor left the university and trained as a plumber!

Being a soon-to-be Ph.D. on the job market as we speak, I know what college professors tend to make, I can absolutely believe this. A trade school might be a great investment for you hulk. For instance, if you can simply learn how to work an MRI machine or something, I know you can make nice cash with a reasonably low investment, and have a pretty cushy job to boot.

Don't get discouraged on your job hunt. It has less to do with you and more to do with the economy right now. If you enjoy teaching, you may also try looking into professional training. Many large companies have professional training departments. Doesn't hurt to cold call big companies in your area and ask someone about the hiring process.

Strangely, schools tend to be fairly counter-cyclical with recessions so now would be the time to try to land a job at a community college. Enrollment spikes during recessions so if you have your Masters in Math I'd say go for a temp job there. Do a good job and you may get hired on full time (benefits!). You will most likely need to commit to getting your PhD during night/weekends though.

Lastly, you may need to try to hook up with a Temp Staffing Agency. They will be able to help market your skill set.

Strangely, schools tend to be fairly counter-cyclical with recessions so now would be the time to try to land a job at a community college. Enrollment spikes during recessions so if you have your Masters in Math I'd say go for a temp job there. Do a good job and you may get hired on full time (benefits!). You will most likely need to commit to getting your PhD during night/weekends though.

FYI, though this might typically be the case, University hiring freezes and cut-backs have been going into effect nation-wide at both public and private institutions (including here at LSU, and a number of the schools that I have applied to). This slow-down appears to be very different from what most of us here have seen in our lifetime.

My suggestion, would be to keep teaching, until you know what your calling is...seriously. If you are 36 you have been teaching for at least what 9-10 years? Are you getting close to tenure???

The reason i ask, is with the econonmy the way it is, the job market SUCKS! Teaching (for the most part) is recession proof. Wait it out, and do NOT take the first job outside of teaching you are offered, unless it is a dream job.

My wife's a teacher, and so is all of her family, trust me, not a fun job but an important one, and one that has good rewards.

FYI, though this might typically be the case, University hiring freezes and cut-backs have been going into effect nation-wide at both public and private institutions (including here at LSU, and a number of the schools that I have applied to). This slow-down appears to be very different from what most of us here have seen in our lifetime.

Very good point. Probably not helping things that state budgets across the country are going bankrupt. But I have a feeling the Federal Government will start dumping money on Education in about 14 more days. No change in the near term, but the overall trend should be expansion during the coming years.

Very good point. Probably not helping things that state budgets across the country are going bankrupt. But I have a feeling the Federal Government will start dumping money on Education in about 14 more days. No change in the near term, but the overall trend should be expansion during the coming years.

I think (hope) that you are right about more money coming to education soon. They want to boost the economy with jobs, but at the same time invest in things that will earn long-term dividends (public works projects, etc.). In this global economy, there is no better investment for a government of a developed state than in education, IMO.

Funny when we run into this (call it what it is, depression) problem, how do we fix it? Go back to the history books and follow old FDR....hope our "New New Deal" can turn this sour bitch around.

History unfortunately proved that the last worldwide depression ultimately led to the rise of fascism & World War 2 ,ultimately fixing things :sad: The eyes of the world are on America to take a lead this time around .

Funny when we run into this (call it what it is, depression) problem, how do we fix it? Go back to the history books and follow old FDR....hope our "New New Deal" can turn this sour bitch around.

History unfortunately proved that the last worldwide depression ultimately led to the rise of fascism & World War 2 ,ultimately fixing things :sad: The eyes of the world are on America to take a lead this time around .

*shudders at the thought of what ghastlier-than-usual event might follow this recession*

Back on topic, if hulk197 is fed up with teaching then maybe he can dabble in something different (but feasible) for a while? I'd recommend taking classes for a new skill or something, like programming or web design or something else vaguely related to his strengths.

(*Then again I've never had a job before so I doubt my advice is all that helpful*)

I'm a high school / middle school math teacher, currently unemployed and only subbing, looking for something else to do with my life. I'm pretty good with the numbers (duh), I can type fairly well, I'm 36 and I'm getting burnt out on teaching. Anybody out there have any ideas of what else I could do? I think I'm qualified to do lots of different jobs that interest me, but so far I've had no takers when applying. Not sure if it's lack of experience in those fields or what... Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

If you like working with numbers I say get back in school get a degree in finance and go work for the FBI. They are hiring like mad and need people with number type backgrounds.

History unfortunately proved that the last worldwide depression ultimately led to the rise of fascism & World War 2 ,ultimately fixing things

Well, if you count virulent Wahhabism and include Iran expansionist totalitarianism, you get a flavor of facism in the Middle East, South Asia, North Africa and parts of Europe. Sprinkle in Putin Authoritarianism and Chinese Hegemonism, and you cover Asia and the Far East. Africa is a mess with the Second African World War about to kick off in the Congo. "Only" 5.4 million people died in the first one. As long as South America stays neutral, I'd think we were already in another World War.

Sorry for the offtopic drift.

Wow! That last one was a mouthful. I appreciate all the suggestions guys, really. My problem is that I recently moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania. My wife and I are both teachers and without telling my life history, I taught in VA for 8 years before taking a 4 year break to stay at home and raise my daughter. During this time I sold stuff on ebay and tutored privately in the evenings. Things were great. However, the move up to PA also included a drastic salary decrease for both my wife and I even with her 10+ years experience and my eight years.

I'm not totally done with teaching yet, I'm still subbing and usually enjoying it. I'm still looking for a full time gig this year or next, I'm just on the lookout for something different that I will like, and even love, to do every day. The suggestions so far have been great and are giving me good food for thought. It's funny, someone suggested the MRI thing and I have been thinking of going back to learn how to be an X-Ray tech, but of course that takes money which we don't have right now.

Keep the ideas flowing. This is helpful.

It's funny, someone suggested the MRI thing and I have been thinking of going back to learn how to be an X-Ray tech, but of course that takes money which we don't have right now.

Now is not a bad time to take out a student loan, if you have credit (federal interest rate is near 0). Education is an investment, and in terms of either money or quality of life, or both, you can expect a return if you invest wisely (such as getting a degree in medical technology instead of, say, sociology or literature--no offense to my fellow lib. arts/social science majors out there :) ).

Edited by karamazov80

Let's see:

male stripper

male prostitue

terrorist

gasoline tycoon

or you could be an accountant...

depending on your physical status you could be a nutritionist like my cousin who was a marine but now is a nutritionist/personal trainer...

or you could be a cop by day and a pimp by night who knows the error of his ways but continues being a pimp so he can support his family. :PIMP:

Edited by entertheninja!

A friend of mine was a teacher for several years and quit to become a speech therapist. She's pretty happy with her new job, so maybe that would be a possibility for you as well, because you can use your knowledge somehow. (At least she does. In Germany there is something like a postgraduate course for educators who are wanting to become a speech therapist.)

Anyway, I can encourage you to change your profession, if you have the feeling to do it. Don't be hasty and rush it, but like bhm said, do what you really might enjoy. Money is pretty important, not only these days, but in the end it's not everything. I myself was an orderly for about 3 years (plus 3 years in apprenticeship), feeling to not beeing satisfied at all, so I quit and went to university 4 years ago. I'm still a student which means that my financial situation was getting worse, but I'm really happy and pleased to do so.

• 4 weeks later...