UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So, Whats Next?

Now it may already have one :confused: but.....

What will the Next Movie Minimates be? What movie will be chosen? We have seen our fair share good movies ( rocky and The Dollars Trilogy) and the waste of time ones (DSD) so what can be next?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it may already have one :confused: but.....

What will the Next Movie Minimates be? What movie will be chosen? We have seen our fair share good movies ( rocky and The Dollars Trilogy) and the waste of time ones (DSD) so what can be next?

well we know there were early released images of T2 and some mention of X Men Origins on the Q&A at AA

other than that I would guess NO new movie mates released this year.

moc847

but it would just be T2 cause xmen origins would be marvel....

As far as the next moviemates go, now that we have actual mates of a Madonna movie and a cooking show I'm wondering what other outrageous licenses DST must have up their sleeve.

Just considering the possibilities makes me both smile and shudder.

Shudder my good man shudder...there is NO WAY DST goes nuts with minimates this year NO WAY... it will be a SLIM year . I would imagine we only see wave 25 and 26. Seriously it is THAT BAD out there.

I am in a field that is normally recession proof because of our influx of different customers and products and I have to lay off people... it is a bad time. If it continues minimates will be the last thing i worry about

moc847

well, recession aside I was thinking more on what we CAN expect (or rather, not expect) in minimate form now that DST has put these really wild ideas (like DSS and the Dollars Trilogy) out there. Think "best-case scenario where DST somehow survives the recession unscathed and is now pelting us with yet another Minimate Renaissance"; I was only musing on what might be released now that we know stuff like Ghostbusters, Watchmen or G.I.Joe can't happen... Tom Hanks movies, perhaps?

:blink:

I'm not sure there is anything in the current economic climate that is sure-fire . The only rational way to decide what would sell is to think of it as 'your money & your risk'. That said if I were in a position to invest monies into a particular license that would lend itself to Minimates I can see no further than two British shows that have cult status . My choice isn't necessarily because I'm British but yes if it were my money I'd risk it on something I at least would absolutely love even in the unlikely event of them failing. The first is NOT Captain Britain because the current comic is a bloody shame .Bob Harris was recently on about stereotypes , you really ought to see this crap to believe it...but don't please don't believe it Guv'nor, Cor Blimey. No ,Captain Britain would be nice but not yet. Surprised?

No prizes then for Doctor Who which would undoubtedly sell ,absolutely no problem.I'd put my house on it ..which is paid for :) Everything worth saying about this license has been said ....so I'll leave it there.

The other license which begs for a quick 'in out' is one that would sell just about everywhere ,needs no vast range of variants & is loved by generations except those who saw the recent shite film . There were probably only about a dozen characters & they were all iconic ............

.......Thunderbirds.

I'd put this ahead of Doctor Who in potential commercial success, 2 perhaps 3 Waves & your done. No strings attached either. Couldn't fail.

I'm not sure there is anything in the current economic climate that is sure-fire . The only rational way to decide what would sell is to think of it as 'your money & your risk'. That said if I were in a position to invest monies into a particular license that would lend itself to Minimates I can see no further than two British shows that have cult status . My choice isn't necessarily because I'm British but yes if it were my money I'd risk it on something I at least would absolutely love even in the unlikely event of them failing. The first is NOT Captain Britain because the current comic is a bloody shame .Bob Harris was recently on about stereotypes , you really ought to see this crap to believe it...but don't please don't believe it Guv'nor, Cor Blimey. No ,Captain Britain would be nice but not yet. Surprised?

No prizes then for Doctor Who which would undoubtedly sell ,absolutely no problem.I'd put my house on it ..which is paid for :) Everything worth saying about this license has been said ....so I'll leave it there.

The other license which begs for a quick 'in out' is one that would sell just about everywhere ,needs no vast range of variants & is loved by generations except those who saw the recent shite film . There were probably only about a dozen characters & they were all iconic ............

.......Thunderbirds.

I'd put this ahead of Doctor Who in potential commercial success, 2 perhaps 3 Waves & your done. No strings attached either. Couldn't fail.

Hehe I've championed both of these Licenses before and both make sense as Long as Dr Who íncludes villains and not just Variants on the 10th Doctor :)

As for Thunderbirds, I'd double team it with Captain Scarlet as Gerry Anderson doublebill. Both have figures with uniforms that could be re-used I.e. the Tracy boys and The various colors of Captains and.

Sadly Dr Who seems stuck in licensing hell and The Thuderbird/Cpt Scarlet stuff is probably too cult or British for DST's tastes.

Also in the UK friendly but never going to happen group that I'd love to see 2000AD minimates as they would be both colorfull and have some cool characters. Who doesn't want judge Dredd, Judge Death, Jonny Alpha, Rogue Trooper, Sam Slade or the ABC warriors in minimate form :)

More US centric though if they could do any box set ( DCD I'm looking at you...) I'd Love to see "the endless" from the sandman series and it would be a good dipping the toe back in the water place for DCD if you asked me...

T.

.......Thunderbirds.

Say What? Thunderbirds??? no freaking way...lamest shite i have ever seen. might as well be Howdy Doody mates.

moc847

.......Thunderbirds.

Say What? Thunderbirds??? no freaking way...lamest shite i have ever seen. might as well be Howdy Doody mates.

moc847

Didn't like them that much then :biggrin:

moc847

"Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Hamlet. Will Shakespeare.

Thunderbirds might seem lame perhaps by these days standards but it was the best thing back in it's day ( and I'm only old enough to have seen repeats) and has a huge cult following in the UK :)

T.

i read through all the posts on this thread (because that is what good minimate fans do) and i was a little disappointed i thought this thread was going to be about what lines were going to continue.

That being said and with the recent cancellation of the BSG line I have to agree with MOC. I am not buying as many mates as i normally would. tomorrow marvel 23,24 and ST 5 are coming to the LCS. I planning on only buying 6-7 packs out of a possible 12. it partly has to due with selection, but really that has never stopped me before. I bought all the BSG mates and i can't tell who half the people are in wave. I have more kirk and spocks then i know what to do with. I love the product and i want to support it and my LCS but still i worry. this next year i am only planing on buying the spirit box set, some of the T2, and some of the mates from 25-26 depending on how they look. i mean it is still early in the end so new stuff may come out, but it will have to grab my eye. I now have standards i am no longer a minimate slut, buying anything that has minimates on it.

I think a very worthwhile license that would have worldwide appeal would be Harry Potter. First off, there are very few true Harry Potter toys out there. Order of the Phoenix had next to nothing on highly poseable toys and LEGO is producing no Harry Potter sets for Half-Blood Prince and I believe only produced one for Order of the Phoenix. I wouldn't call that a whole hell of a lot.

And from a technical point of view, it's perfect for box sets, allows a use for the Swashbuckling Sulu dueling hand for good wand poses, and is a good variety of characters allows some longevity, at least seven sets to get all the majors in, allowing for the multiple Harry Varients.

Here's my vision. Oh, and everyone comes with wands.

Sorcerer's Stone:

Harry Potter

Ron Weasley

Hermione Granger

Professor Quirrell (with Voldemort's head under the turban.)

Chamber of Secrets

Albus Dumbledore

Battle-Damaged Harry (With the Diary, the Basilisk Fang, and the Sword of Griffindor)

Gilderoy Lockheart

Ginny Waesley

Prisoner of Azkaban

Sirius Black

Remus Lupin

Harry in Quidditch Robes (With Firebolt)

Ruberus Hagrid

Goblet of Fire: (Figured this would be obvious)

Harry Potter in Triwizard robes (With Golden Egg)

Cedric Diggory (With Triwizard Cup)

Lord Voldemort (with really big Cauldron)

Alastor Moody (With Walking stick)

Order of the Phoenix:

Luna Lovegood (With Quibbler)

Neville Longbottom

Dolores Umbridge

Bellatrix Lestrange

Half-Blood Prince

Severus Snape

Burned-Hand Dumbledore (With Knife and Locket)

Horace Slughorn (With Felix Felicius)

Draco Malfoy

Deathly Hallows

Might as well do new versions of Harry Ron Hermionie and Voldemort.

And for some more:

Weasley Clan

Fred

George

Bill

Charlie

And some random two-packs

Lily and James Potter

Rufus Scrimgeour and Cornelius Fudge.

I think a very worthwhile license that would have worldwide appeal would be Harry Potter. First off, there are very few true Harry Potter toys out there. Order of the Phoenix had next to nothing on highly poseable toys and LEGO is producing no Harry Potter sets for Half-Blood Prince and I believe only produced one for Order of the Phoenix. I wouldn't call that a whole hell of a lot.

And from a technical point of view, it's perfect for box sets, allows a use for the Swashbuckling Sulu dueling hand for good wand poses, and is a good variety of characters allows some longevity, at least seven sets to get all the majors in, allowing for the multiple Harry Varients.

Here's my vision. Oh, and everyone comes with wands.

Sorcerer's Stone:

Harry Potter

Ron Weasley

Hermione Granger

Professor Quirrell (with Voldemort's head under the turban.)

Chamber of Secrets

Albus Dumbledore

Battle-Damaged Harry (With the Diary, the Basilisk Fang, and the Sword of Griffindor)

Gilderoy Lockheart

Ginny Waesley

Prisoner of Azkaban

Sirius Black

Remus Lupin

Harry in Quidditch Robes (With Firebolt)

Ruberus Hagrid

Goblet of Fire: (Figured this would be obvious)

Harry Potter in Triwizard robes (With Golden Egg)

Cedric Diggory (With Triwizard Cup)

Lord Voldemort (with really big Cauldron)

Alastor Moody (With Walking stick)

Order of the Phoenix:

Luna Lovegood (With Quibbler)

Neville Longbottom

Dolores Umbridge

Bellatrix Lestrange

Half-Blood Prince

Severus Snape

Burned-Hand Dumbledore (With Knife and Locket)

Horace Slughorn (With Felix Felicius)

Draco Malfoy

Deathly Hallows

Might as well do new versions of Harry Ron Hermionie and Voldemort.

And for some more:

Weasley Clan

Fred

George

Bill

Charlie

And some random two-packs

Lily and James Potter

Rufus Scrimgeour and Cornelius Fudge.

See once again I do not see this as a seller....maybe 5 years ago... but the series is done. What 2 or 3 movies left...but seriously, the toys that were released didnt have much of a shelf life.

This would be what human faces with mostly black clothes?

yea maybe 1 boxset, but definitely not a series imo.

What about a Thunderbirds / Team America World Police? I mean talk about cross promotion!

Fuck yeah!

*Sorry but someone was goingto do it so it might as well have been me :) *

As for Harry Potter, I have to say I agree wit Moc, it's one of those everyone dressed in black with a million HP variant ideas.... Sounds ghastly!

T.

Tom Hanks movies, perhaps?

:blink:

yeah - 'cause Tom Hanks' movies are soooo much better than Desperately Seeking Susan.

All kidding aside, I remember one of the Q & A's mentioning that serious thought was given to Jaws... I'd like to see that

Unfortunately I have to agree with the masses - this is not gonna be a great year for 'mates. I foresee little on the ST front - maybe a couple of waves (if we're lucky), BSG died on the table and I'd bet that the T2 set ends up on the shelf too. It'd be my call that DST brings a handful of Marvel movie stuff to Toyfare, and little else.

On a semi-related note - if the economy is so bad, who's gonna have $$$ for all those $80 ultimate quarter scale figures or the $2,300 replica Enterprise Captain's chair. I'd bet that the small ticket things would be a better bet when money is tight.

See once again I do not see this as a seller....maybe 5 years ago... but the series is done. What 2 or 3 movies left...but seriously, the toys that were released didnt have much of a shelf life.

This would be what human faces with mostly black clothes?

yea maybe 1 boxset, but definitely not a series imo.

Three movies left. Deathly Hallows will be two.

And I don't see Harry Potter as something that fades quietly into the night. It's going to be around a while. And while I do see your point, the series is over, maybe one boxset (Which would make sense, but who would go in it? Harry, Ron, Hermionie, Voldemort? That leaves majors such as Dumbledore and Snape out in the cold. Maybe they get in with a couple of other characters. Lupin and Sirius maybe?), ect. but this is a worlwide phenomenon. The books have topped lists and broken records across the globe. Do you see other phenomenons falling into obscurity quickly, like The Dark Knight? Major bestseller, second only to Titanic, and it's getting a re-release on January 23 (the day before my Birthday. I might just go see it again.) for OSCAR SEASON. ANY phenomenon that is meant for a mass audience and gets those prestegous awards WILL NOT DIE and Harry Potter is similar. So while I agree it will not support the entire line I gave out (That's just a vision. A pipe dream. I meant it to be nothing more.) at least two box sets it can do because Harry Potter will be around for a while.

Seriously any surprise Marvel is the flagship? 5000 characters, Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man...international appeal to collectors and to kids alike.

The movies were obviously aimed for a specialty market, fye, suncoast etc. without those types of stores to support. I am really having a hard time thinking of any future license that would not be a one shot box set. T2 box set, and army builders with the exo skeletons.

I think that one very smart move on the part of AA was limiting to a box set apiece and not a series for BTTF, FFDM, etc. but without major pulls like

Ghostbusters

GI Joe

Star Wars.

I mean what else could be a long runner?

moc847

Three movies left. Deathly Hallows will be two.

And I don't see Harry Potter as something that fades quietly into the night. It's going to be around a while. And while I do see your point, the series is over, maybe one boxset (Which would make sense, but who would go in it? Harry, Ron, Hermionie, Voldemort? That leaves majors such as Dumbledore and Snape out in the cold. Maybe they get in with a couple of other characters. Lupin and Sirius maybe?), ect. but this is a worlwide phenomenon. The books have topped lists and broken records across the globe. Do you see other phenomenons falling into obscurity quickly, like The Dark Knight? Major bestseller, second only to Titanic, and it's getting a re-release on January 23 (the day before my Birthday. I might just go see it again.) for OSCAR SEASON. ANY phenomenon that is meant for a mass audience and gets those prestegous awards WILL NOT DIE and Harry Potter is similar. So while I agree it will not support the entire line I gave out (That's just a vision. A pipe dream. I meant it to be nothing more.) at least two box sets it can do because Harry Potter will be around for a while.

I suspect it wouldn't happen, you're right it's pretty big HOWEVER, just imagine what the licensing for that would cost?

How many BIG current movies haves DST touched? Exclude the Marvel ones because there is already a partnership there.

T.

They seem to be sticking with classics. I don't think they've done a major current, TBT. But if they want to do classics, I'd like to see a Rick Blaine/Ilsa Lund one-off for Casablanca. And maybe something from The Maltese Falcon, The Wizard of Oz (talk about a children-focused line :) ), ect. Old stuff, real old stuff that tons of people know and love. Oh and a George and Mary Bailey pack would make for a great exclusive around Christmas.

Edited by Trekker 42