UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Quality?

Randymarsh

So, I just recently ordered and recieved my first DC Minimates. I have over 60+ marvel mates and most of the street fighter/darkstalker line, so I have opened and handled my fair share, though it probably pales in comparison to some of you :P. At any rate, I got all of Wave 3 and a Cyborg Superman/Steel 2 pack from stuckakid, since I'm not huge on DC but I do like certain heroes. Here's a list of all the stuff that was wrong with the figures

Battle damaged Batman : Left leg knee wobble, possibly broken. The left leg socket for the hip also has a chunk taken out of it, so it falls off whenever moved. I pulled his waist peg out, and the one of the socket pieces had a crack in it.

Killer Croc: OK

Green Arrow: Left arm falls off when moved, hole is too large

Deathstroke: Left leg knee wobble, possibly broken

Wonder Woman: OK

Aries: OK

Superman (Cyborg) His right arm is a left arm

Steel: OK

So, that makes 4/8 of the DC mates I bought wonky in some manner. Some were minor, but batman in particular really made me upset, he was pretty much the main reason I bought the wave. In all of my minimate purchases prior to this, I got one wobbly knee, and one tony stark with two left arms. So I ask, has anybody else found that the DC mates had more defects than other lines? Or did I just have bad luck (or, good luck with all my marvel heroes :P).

Edited by Randymarsh

So, I just recently ordered and recieved my first DC Minimates. I have over 60+ marvel mates and most of the street fighter/darkstalker line, so I have opened and handled my fair share, though it probably pales in comparison to some of you :P. At any rate, I got all of Wave 3 and a Cyborg Superman/Steel 2 pack from stuckakid, since I'm not huge on DC but I do like certain heroes. Here's a list of all the stuff that was wrong with the figures

Battle damaged Batman : Left leg knee wobble, possibly broken. The left leg socket for the hip also has a chunk taken out of it, so it falls off whenever moved. I pulled his waist peg out, and the one of the socket pieces had a crack in it.

So, that makes 4/8 of the DC mates I bought wonky in some manner. Some were minor, but batman in particular really made me upset, he was pretty much the main reason I bought the wave. In all of my minimate purchases prior to this, I got one wobbly knee, and one tony stark with two left arms. So I ask, has anybody else found that the DC mates had more defects than other lines? Or did I just have bad luck (or, good luck with all my marvel heroes :P).

Wow you're not exactly up to date ;)

Yes some early DC mates had QC issues, pretty well documented here in past threads. If you ask me the plastic was softer and the paint sometimes glooped when it was wet so cause stuck joints.

They got better as time went by but obviously the line got cancelled.

IMO a lot of modern minimates suffer from loose knee syndrome as once again the plastics DST are using are getting softer.

T.

I have the entire DC set, and I never really encountered many problems aside from one loose arm on Question. Sounds like a bum lot to me. The Green Arrow could most likely be easily fixed by using the super glue method of tightening joints, but I don't know what to say for the others. Sorry about the sucky luck

Edited by Glantern

Yes some early DC mates had QC issues, pretty well documented here in past threads. If you ask me the plastic was softer and the paint sometimes glooped when it was wet so cause stuck joints.

IMO a lot of modern minimates suffer from loose knee syndrome as once again the plastics DST are using are getting softer.

T.

lol thanks. I thought I had read something about it before, but I wasn't entirely sure. I only started collecting around june, so really this is the first time I've had any interest in DC Minimates, even though it may not be totally relevant :P. It's all good though, I'm still enjoying them, I was just curious if what I got was par for the course, so to speak.

T.

lol thanks. I thought I had read something about it before, but I wasn't entirely sure. I only started collecting around june, so really this is the first time I've had any interest in DC Minimates, even though it may not be time relevant. It's all good though, I'm still enjoying them, I was just curious if what I got was par for the course, so to speak. Thanks in advance for the responses

I have all of the DC Mates and multiples of some and I haven't any problems except some slightly sloppy paint from time to time. Overall I haven't had too many problems with Minimates in general.

The only Mates that I had problems with (besides paint) were...

...stuck joints on a Storm I bought at Target (cured by a trip to the freezer) and stuck joints on the Marvel Zombies box set (no freezer time needed but I was nervous working the joints loose)...loose joints on the Avengers wave (that and hair pieces didn't want to stay on)...and a extreemly warped knee joint on an Ult Green Goblin I bought online.

I am principally a MIB nut-case although I have a sizeable collection of loose 'Mates which I have built up by buying them loose. For 'whatever' reasons I initially soak/wash them in luke-warm water with a tiny amount of washing -up liquid before allowing them to dry naturally on a towel before entering my collection. Once dry they then get stored in individual zip-bags.

I'm not sure whether my procedure is relevant but bearing in mind that most if not all of my loose Minimates are pre-owned & that I treat them with a certain amount of respect I can honestly say I have never broken a Minimate. I acknowledge that there are many figures that have suspect joints,ill-fitting hair-pieces etc.etc. but nothing that has/is actually broken. :mellow:

All of those Minimates that I have are perfectly fine, except for the Cyborg Superman whose hairpiece (with the Superman mask thing) comes off too easily.

I got the Marvel Zombie five-pack, and all my Minimates were fine except for one, whose leg came off with the peg inside the hole, so he has one leg. It's Wolverine.

All of those Minimates that I have are perfectly fine, except for the Cyborg Superman whose hairpiece (with the Superman mask thing) comes off too easily.

I got the Marvel Zombie five-pack, and all my Minimates were fine except for one, whose leg came off with the peg inside the hole, so he has one leg. It's Wolverine.

Well that's fine then as Zombie Wolverne is a crappy Minimate anyway.

And none of my DCs are screwed up. I've had a harder time with Marvel, but I also have more Marvel overall.

Well that's fine then as Zombie Wolverne is a crappy Minimate anyway.

And none of my DCs are screwed up. I've had a harder time with Marvel, but I also have more Marvel overall.

I actually would've liked it, but I sorta do like it with one leg, it adds to his zombie-likeness.

I have the entire DC set, and I never really encountered many problems aside from one loose arm on Question. Sounds like a bum lot to me. The Green Arrow could most likely be easily fixed by using the super glue method of tightening joints, but I don't know what to say for the others. Sorry about the sucky luck

Which arm was loose on Question? Because mine has the exact same problem (right arm won't stay in the shoulder socket).

I don't have that many DCD mates so I don't have that many problems to report, except for some white scratches on Batwoman's cape (probably due to bad handling... fixed it with black marker, no biggie) and a smudged paint job on the bottom of Supergirl's cape (which I'm pretty much stuck with... can't complain). Barring these I've been lucky with most of my figures so far, nothing broken yet.

Which arm was loose on Question? Because mine has the exact same problem (right arm won't stay in the shoulder socket).

I don't have that many DCD mates so I don't have that many problems to report, except for some white scratches on Batwoman's cape (probably due to bad handling... fixed it with black marker, no biggie) and a smudged paint job on the bottom of Supergirl's cape (which I'm pretty much stuck with... can't complain). Barring these I've been lucky with most of my figures so far, nothing broken yet.

It's the right

Randymarsh - I never had a single problem with the DC Minimates. I do wonder though, if the method of storage affected your DC Minimates. You said you recently got Waves 1, 2, and 3. These have been out of stores for awhile. If the weather conditions caused temperature fluctuations whereever these were stored, it might have had an affect. Who'd you buy them from?

Randymarsh - I never had a single problem with the DC Minimates. I do wonder though, if the method of storage affected your DC Minimates. You said you recently got Waves 1, 2, and 3. These have been out of stores for awhile. If the weather conditions caused temperature fluctuations whereever these were stored, it might have had an affect. Who'd you buy them from?

.....continuous direct-sunlight doesn't help & plays havoc with early (esp.C3) white plastic degrading/fading/greying .