UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

Everybody is entitled to their opinion---and how do you know "most" people's collecting interests?

By the way if you don't collect or buy minimates why do you even still post on this site?...thats what sad-- :unsure:

OK.

"Most toy collectors I know" Did you miss that part? Here, let me help you out with that. "Most toy collectors I know. I was only speaking of people I know as that is the only example I can actually use.

Is there a rule that I can't post here anymore? I still have my almost complete set of BSG mates (all but that dang greeting card). Does that allow me to still post here? I also don't think I am the only person who lost intereast in mates who still posts here. I could be wrong though. Also, I hardly post at all anymore if that counts for anything.

I will admit that using the word sad was a very bad idea, but it is.

EDIT: I am coming off as a dick here the last couple days. Sorry guys. Don't get me wrong, I want these as much as the rest of you who read this thread. Hopefully TRU will decide to skip a wave of 7" figures and give us the rest of our BSG mates.

Also, don't forget that when the Busts were cancelled, some of us collectors were real bummed with no hope. Then a little online store called urban collectors gave us another chance by picking up and selling the Starbuck bust. So who knows? I happen to have a nack for always being wrong so I would not be surprised to see these someday, and someday soon.

Edited by pickle

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up my first BSG minimate on Ebay last week and it arrived in the mail saturday. Its Apollo from the original series set. I'll eventually buy the set with Apollo, Boomer, Adama and Starbuck but it was a pretty good deal so i bought it now. He's pretty cool. I always loved the helmets from the original series. The one thing that bums me out is that I remember that they were planning on doing some BSG mini flyers with an original colonial viper and a newer viper from the newer BSG series.

I picked up my first BSG minimate on Ebay last week and it arrived in the mail saturday. Its Apollo from the original series set. I'll eventually buy the set with Apollo, Boomer, Adama and Starbuck but it was a pretty good deal so i bought it now. He's pretty cool. I always loved the helmets from the original series. The one thing that bums me out is that I remember that they were planning on doing some BSG mini flyers with an original colonial viper and a newer viper from the newer BSG series.

Welcome EricM, though I'm afraid you're a bit late to the party! Yep, they were presented as proto.s, but never made it to production. I still think they would have made a plausible entry as "TRU exclusives", but seeing how the Speed Racer 'mates bombed I doubt that TRU would be willing to take a chance on these (though their exclusive 'mates and BSG 7" exclusive seem to be doing extremely well lately...Matt, Chuck?). I can't speak for others, but I know that I personally would buy cases of these (modern and/or classic) if possible.

I still think they would have made a plausible entry as "TRU exclusives", but seeing how the Speed Racer 'mates bombed I doubt that TRU would be willing to take a chance on these (though their exclusive 'mates and BSG 7" exclusive seem to be doing extremely well lately...Matt, Chuck?). I can't speak for others, but I know that I personally would buy cases of these (modern and/or classic) if possible.

I was thinking something along this line also. If the cases were set up similar to the Marvel TRU waves with 5 packs or even four packs to a case, we could get the rest of these essential characters in a wave or two. As an added incentive for TRU, some of the characters could be packed with toaster cylons; there are a few modern ones that could still be made and with the final episode a few of the Razor 'classic' cylons could be thrown in:

Cavil with classic Warrior

Kara with Leobon

Anders and Athena

______ with Stealth Cylon

Box Set:

Ellen

Tori

Doral

Simon

Or something like that.

I still think they would have made a plausible entry as "TRU exclusives", but seeing how the Speed Racer 'mates bombed I doubt that TRU would be willing to take a chance on these (though their exclusive 'mates and BSG 7" exclusive seem to be doing extremely well lately...Matt, Chuck?). I can't speak for others, but I know that I personally would buy cases of these (modern and/or classic) if possible.

I was thinking something along this line also. If the cases were set up similar to the Marvel TRU waves with 5 packs or even four packs to a case, we could get the rest of these essential characters in a wave or two. As an added incentive for TRU, some of the characters could be packed with toaster cylons; there are a few modern ones that could still be made and with the final episode a few of the Razor 'classic' cylons could be thrown in:

Cavil with classic Warrior

Kara with Leobon

Anders and Athena

______ with Stealth Cylon

Box Set:

Ellen

Tori

Doral

Simon

Or something like that.

Wave 5 & 6 and the Caprica Box seemed to suffer from the lack of the big-name characters. If we've learned anything, it's that the universal Kirk/McFly/SPiderman/Wolverine law exists for a reason and probably applies to this line too. I think to make it work. you'd have to bundle the box set as 2 packs w/ at least an A-list, high profile characters (Apollo, Starbuck, Six, Boomer/Sharon or cylons) in each box...

More like this:

Cavil w/ Athena

Kara w/ Leobon

Red Stripe (allied) Classic Cylon w/ Anders

Red Stripe (allied) Classic Cylon w/ Hot Dog (Variant)

Captive Six w/ Ellen

President Lee Adama w/ Tori

Red Stripe Modern Cylon w/ Doral

Red Stripe Modern Cylon w/ Simon (variant

Edited by captain_cbecker

I really do not understand DST's reluctance to continue the BSG series; SCI-FI plans to continue BSG in TV movies; and I believe most of us Forum members would love to gat our hands on the Classic and/or Modersn BSG MiniMates, and I'd love to see some Vipers/Raptors/Raiders that could seat MiniMates, like the Speed Racer Mach 5 and Shooting Star race cars. I bought every BSG figure I could find, after my brother got to them first :) I cannot imagine that DST would not find enough buyers for future releases.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they did it again, I was almost over not getting the last mates from BSG, and now in the latest Q&A, theres a hint at an announcement later today about BSG! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

It says....

"Make sure you check the main Diamond Select Toys website later today for an extra-special announcement sure to break the internet in half. So say we all!"

If I had to guess what it is about in terms of BSG merch..... I would say it is about the action figure coming with the complete series box set.

Yes, other than it comes at the end of a minimate Q&A. They usually do not have any qualms about releasing multiple blog entries on any given day if the news is right. This gives me (false) hope that it will be a BSG exclusive minimate announcement with TRU and AFX.

Here's hoping!

So say we all!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!! Welcome back, BSG Minimates!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::woot::buttrock:

Finally, after all these months, we see the glorious, wonderful, spectacular news that BSG minimate willl be coming to TRU!! Now while they are still the 5, 6, and NC set minimates, they have undergone quite a few changes. Also, there are new Tylium Cylon, Bill Adama, and Stealth Cylon Exclusives.

Pictures?? Hells yes!!

2d95u35.jpg

Thoughts:

Lee: Looks better than ever; hopefully he'll come with a suit-jacket.

Doral: Just awsome. Better than the proto.

D'anna: Niggles with the face again, but it may be the old Lucy Lawless licensing lissue. Love it either way.

Stealth Cylon: Finally a Stealth Cylon i can open. Nice variant to a great figure.

Tylium Mine Cylon: Not needed but totally welcome to the ranks.

Cavil: Sweetness! John gets his poncho and hat!! Here's for the hairpiece still with him.

Razor Cylon: Random, but okay??

Adama: This is just made of win. Season 4 Adama FTW.

Leoben: the old minus a jacket. Shame; it looked nice.

Kara: Um...ew?? What the hell happened to her face?? The old one finally looked like Sackhoff, and this is just all wrong.

So yeah. This is turning out very nice. Can't wait to see what's planned for the proposed second-Wave.

Long live Galactica; So Say We All.

So say we all, indeed. This is some very good news. Thanks, DST and TRU. This has really made my day. And thankfully Starbuck's face looks photoshopped on, so I doubt/hope that it is how it will look in the end.

Further Battlestar Galactica offerings are also in the works, including a second assortment of Toys”R”Us exclusive Minimates as well as a few surprises that long-time fans of the break-out toy line will recognize.

Please let the surprises be ships.

Edited by Turtle

Anyone else already predicting the suprises?? :blush:

Final Five Box Set

Raptors

Raiders

Uneeded-Modern-Cylon-variants-to-attract-buyers-10-pack...;)

Sadly, i'd buy even the last one...This is such wonderful, amazing, incredible news and i am certainly glad to have them back. Kinda pissed that this happens as soon as we give up all hope, but still. Finally Chuck holds to a promise when he says "you'll find out VERY soon." :)

EDIT: Oooo i just noticed that Kara gets her tatoo!! Now i really hope hope whatever version of Anders we get has another arm for his...yes, i expect more than one. I want my naked-man-in-goo-tub, dammit!! :P

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Honestly who is surprised? My guess is it's down to a lack of preorders.

Waves 2&3 are going for bargain bin prices on ebay, the tv series is about to wrap up and as DST have found out previously ( although they never seem to learn from it) that leaving it to late and that once a show is off air or a movie is done then the want for merchandising dries up.

I also suspect that after a pair of boom years for minimates 2009 is the year we will see a reduction in the number of new series produced. According to Cappys excel(lent) spreadsheet the number of unique mates made per year was ( starting in 2002-2008) 21, 55, 86, 64, 64, 171, 183 and it makes me wonder if we are getting a little too many and people are picking their collections more carefully rather than buying everything by the case ( BHM excepted ;) ).

T.

You're right NorthRaider,some are ...&............. some are :rolleyes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!! Welcome back, BSG Minimates!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::woot::buttrock:

Finally, after all these months, we see the glorious, wonderful, spectacular news that BSG minimate willl be coming to TRU!! Now while they are still the 5, 6, and NC set minimates, they have undergone quite a few changes. Also, there are new Tylium Cylon, Bill Adama, and Stealth Cylon Exclusives.

Pictures?? Hells yes!!

2d95u35.jpg

Thoughts:

D'anna: Niggles with the face again, but it may be the old Lucy Lawless licensing lissue. Love it either way.

Stealth Cylon: Finally a Stealth Cylon i can open. Nice variant to a great figure.

Cavil: Sweetness! John gets his poncho and hat!! Here's for the hairpiece still with him.

Kara: Um...ew?? What the hell happened to her face?? The old one finally looked like Sackhoff, and this is just all wrong.

So yeah. This is turning out very nice. Can't wait to see what's planned for the proposed second-Wave.

Isn't that Natlie pictured and not D'anna?

Pictures?? Hells yes!!

2d95u35.jpg

Thoughts:

Nope. Natalie wore all black and this is D'anna from Season 3 when she

met the "Final Five" before we knew them to be the Five.

Of course, this is just because my fav character is D'anna, and my fav Six was Natalie, however short her part was. Some things ya just gotta know. :blush:

Pictures?? Hells yes!!

2d95u35.jpg

Thoughts:

Nope. Natalie wore all black and this is D'anna from Season 3 when she

met the "Final Five" before we knew them to be the Five.

Of course, this is just because my fav character is D'anna, and my fav Six was Natalie, however short her part was. Some things ya just gotta know. :blush:

I dunno-I guess I always thought minimate in black was D'anna, and the white one was Natlie. The one in black looks more like Lucy Lawless...

http://www.youbuynow.com/item/BSG_Minimate...t_Variant_Simon

Edited by mav-man