UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

music...and you...

entertheninja!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but in my opinion, bar-tenders in the UK are either incapable or unwilling to produce a proper tasting pint of Guinness. Of course, what you get there still beats the hell out of what we get here in the States. :yucky:

I guess I agree to a pint.

Dublin swayed me towards Guinness some twenty odd years ago but that was mainly because that was all you could get there . I have an Irish friend who only ever drinks bottled Guinness & insists on pouring his own & consistently bemoans "....the shite they serve over here". The trouble with Guinness is the time it takes to serve if your pub isn't just serving Guinness ......any Englishmen I've drunk with have all got their particular tipple & it would be rare if everyone in a group were drinking the same thing,everyone drinking Guinness would be rare. In Ireland they've got it sussed ,they'll pour loads of glasses half full ,letting them all settle down & then topping them up.....easy if the only thing your selling is Guinness. I do like Guinness & I've just finished a phase where I'd drink it every night at home from cans :ohmy: ....'Guinness Draught' from a can might sound ludicrous but that's its name & it's bloody marvellous.

Sam Adams was what I was drinking in San Diego & that was lovely.....there was also a Mexican beer 'Dos Eqis' which was very nice.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Speaking of California, there is a beer brewed in Cali that is one of my very favorites--Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. the various Sam Adams beers are nice, too. There is also a Louisiana company named Abita that makes some fine U.S. brews if you get a chance to drink it.

Re: Guinness, I don't doubt what you say is true. I know there is an art to storing and pouring it correctly, but having a keg sit there without being used, I'm sure, has a pretty major effect on taste. But I was in Ireland in 2004, and everywhere I went it tasted like heaven to me. Perfect. I went up to Northern Ireland, and it tasted like garbage. I couldn't even finish a single pint, and switched over to Bass or something.

A funny aside--I had a brain fart in Ireland and ordered a "black and tan" once. The look I received was priceless :lol: I remember that guy thought I was Australian, because he couldn't distinguish a U.S. from Australian accent.

Uh, back on topic, 80s music is pretty good. I've been watching Miami Vice recently, and the music on that show is 80stastic.

Edited by karamazov80

Lets deal with Miami Vice first. I loved that show & this scene

perhaps reminds me of a special time in my life. Every time I see that...& it's been some time since I have....I get a little bit happysad.

The Guinness thread.......Bass ,proper Bass,is a fine ale . The Bass trade mark,red solid triangle,was the first registered British Trade Mark :ohmy:

There is so much I'd like to say about Ireland but ...................................................

I never watched the show until the last couple weeks, when it started coming on cable. I can usually catch about 10-15 minutes at night, in-between daddy duties. So, my wife ordered me the complete season a couple days ago, to be watched when I get a few minutes here or there :D

Great song there, too.

• 5 months later...

We recently got a new car, and with it--satellite radio!! It is awesome. Mostly, I listen to the 80s station and "First Wave," which is New Wave and other 80s alternative stuff for the most part. But the 80s station isn't like a commercial station that plays the same 15-20 songs over ad nauseum. They pull out some obscure ones, and others that aren't that obscure but just aren't played on the radio anymore for whatever reason.

The First Wave station plays at least one Smiths/Morrissey song every hour, but mixes things up there pretty well also. I've been getting a pretty steady dose of Howard Jones on both those stations, which is a good thing.

My most listened to CD at the moment is Hall and Oates Greatest Hits. And at this very moment, I'm listening to Elliott Smith's Either/Or album. Haven't listened to it in ages, but it is truly one of the great albums over the last 15-20 years IMO. If you sometimes enjoy well made, melodic, sad bastard music, this is one you should check out. If I had discovered this guy as a teenager, I doubt his CDs would have left my stereo very much.

I listen to a lot of stuff, but the one band that never disappoints is The Avett Brothers.

Three guys from North Carolina, a banjo, and some of the most emotional, yet damn catchy, lyrics make them a force to be reckoned with. If you're interested, you ought to check out 'Emotionalism' to start before moving on to 'I and Love and you'. The latter is one of my favorite albums of all time and on constant rotation in my various music libraries.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna bring this thing back, because I haven't posted in a year and a half in it, and my tastes have changed a bit!

Radiohead

The Shins

Say Anything

Coheed and Cambria

Pixies

Muse

Neutral Milk Hotel

Green Day

Brand New

The Killers

Passion Pit

My Chemical Romance

The Matches

Phoenix

Joy Division

The Strokes

Pink Floyd

Between the Buried and Me

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Taking Back Sunday

Massive Attack

The Hives

The Beatles

Franz Ferdinand

Little Joy

Interpol

Mindless Self Indulgence

Vampire Weekend

Dashboard Confessional

Every Time I Die

Bon IverIncubus

Arcade Fire

Daft Punk

Julian Casablancas

Animal Collective

The Libertines

Ludo

The Fratellis

Foxy Shazam

Placebo

Beck

Trocadero

Arctic Monkeys

Weezer

Thomas Giles

The Vines

The Devil Makes Three

Brandon Flowers

I've been on a serious Radiohead kick lately.