UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

music...and you...

entertheninja!

I agree northraider, I loved their first funky albums, while love grenades was a cool cd, it's nothing like their earlier stuff, back when they used have heavy riffs and bass slapping, to me science is their best cd, I almost learned every song on guitar, I still know how to play "a certain shade of green!"

Edited by SErge

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of Incubus? I find that mildly surprising; Incubus has been around (or at least been popular) since the late Nineties, and is currently better known for their pop-rock songs and ballads like "Drive" (the song that famously goes "whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there"), "Stellar" and "Pardon Me", though they used to play a lot of heavier funk rock like on their first two albums including S.C.I.E.N.C.E., the album serge just mentioned. (Personally I prefer the songs "Vitamin" and "New Skin" on that album) It's like a band going a complete 180 from sounding like the Red Hot Chili Peppers to being something slightly as mushy as post-2000s Pearl Jam.

Other Incubus songs I kinda harbor a personal preference for: "Warning", obviously "Megalomaniac" and "Made For TV Movie" from A Crow Left Of The Murder ("Here In My Room" is a ballad of theirs I actually love), surprisingly "Anna Molly" from Light Grenades.

Of course, I'm not even a major fan of Incubus; I probably only know all this since the band is still sort of popular here, where the local airwaves can occasionally function like a musical-era time capsule. (Man, I wasn't even old enough to remember grunge and already my taste in music makes me feel old :blink:)

• 5 weeks later...

I have a new artist to add to my favorites: His name is DragonBoy Suede and he's hilarious! He was on a podcast called "Comedy Death Ray" which is a hilarious indie radio talk show and his song "You Wont Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves". He's a cross polination between Weird Al and Mickey Avalon...He's pretty funny...worth listening to definatly...

Edited by entertheninja!

• 1 month later...

For the most part, I don't care how the singers/musicians I listen to behave in their personal lives. If I enjoy their music, then I like that about them, and that is enough. If I felt otherwise, the number of songs in my IPod would probably go down in size by 80%.

Surely you're joking... Scorpion had the most bad-ass finishing move ever! "Get over here!!!" :lol:

I heard Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper" on the radio yesterday. It was hilarious and full of narm, yet oddly I prefer it over the original. (Yeah... am not really an Eighties kid.)

Anyway, back on topic....

Cabaret Voltaire, Velvet Underground, Damned, Joy Division, Oblivians, electric eels, DMZ, Simpy Saucer, MC5,

Ian Dury, Johnny Thunders, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Killing Joke, Pagans, Screamers, Sonics, Fugs,

Black Flag, Destroy All Monsters, Minor Threat, Specials, English Beat, you get the point etc... ;)

I listened to a lot of that same stuff when I was in high school, SSP. Definitely a nice soundtrack for angsty young'uns. I wore my Black Flag and Minor Threat t-shirts out.

I saw the movie about Ian Curtis a few months ago. Depressing.

I am an old school metal head, although I do listen to other types of music. I still yell at my wife for getting me into country music lately :P Here is a basic list of what I listen to:

Texas Hippie Coalition

Rebel Meets Rebel

Overkill

Testament

Metal Church

Prong

Pantera

Type O Negative

Sepultura

Soulfly

Rammstein

Dave Brockie Experience

Exodus

Forbidden

Death Angel

Faith No More

Slayer

Mushroomhead

Mudvayne

69 Eyes

Moonspell

Nightwish

Helloween

Masterplan

Gamma Ray

Edguy

Sixty Watt Shaman

Scissorfight

Clutch

Gwar

Carcass

Death

Entombed

Six Feet Under

Obituary

Black Label Society

The Haunted

Kreator

Fear Factory

Powerman 5000

Alice in Chains (the new album is pretty good and the new singer fits in well with the bands old sound)

NIN

The Cult

Warrior Soul

Morbid Angel

Cannibal Corpse

Overdose

Puya

Skindred

I could go on and on. I have thousands of cds. Lately I have been listening to old 80's metal/rock like Van Halen, Trixter, Poison, Extreme, Billy Idol, Cars, AC/DC, etc. I go through weird phases like that.

Some good stuff there, Crippler, I also had a "metal" period in my younger days. I will still listen to the stray Slayer, Acid Bath (great former New Orleans metal band), Crowbar, or Pantera album from time to time.

Recently though, I've been getting into early 80s metal. Judas Priest, Dio, and Iron Maiden make for great jogging music.

Anyway, back on topic....

Cabaret Voltaire, Velvet Underground, Damned, Joy Division, Oblivians, electric eels, DMZ, Simpy Saucer, MC5,

Ian Dury, Johnny Thunders, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Killing Joke, Pagans, Screamers, Sonics, Fugs,

Black Flag, Destroy All Monsters, Minor Threat, Specials, English Beat, you get the point etc... ;)

Great stuff. If you like the Oblivians, you should also check out Jack O and the Tearjerkers and the Reigning Sound. Or anything else on Goner Records: Jay Reatard/The Reatards, Harlan T Bobo, the Barbaras. I think you might enjoy the sounds of Memphis.

Edited by Turtle

currently im listening to a lot of classic rock again(forienger, led zep, queen) but mostly pink floyds DSOTM and WYWH, cant get enough of those. As for more modern band, i digging yeah yeah yeahs alot. I really want to listen to muse's the resistance, anyone heard it yet? how is it?

• 1 month later...

Let's dust this bad boy off!

The new AFI record, Crash Love, is awesome. I've listened to it a hundred times if I've listened to it once! It's quite different from their other stuff and very 80's influenced.

Has anyone heard Ace Frehley's new record, Anomaly or Kiss' new record, Sonic Boom? I'm curious to hear opinions on how they turned out...