UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

FCBD 09 minimates

Haven't we been trying to persuade them for years to sell blanks? Well, here's our once a year chance.

^^^ This!

The spirit of FCBD is still there, we'll go and check out some new & free comics and hopefully while we are there, most of us will support the LCS buy purchasing some merchandise also. Maybe even bring a friend who is remotely interested in comics and such and maybe get them to become a fan and support the shop also!

Also, I'm getting my bag of 25 for about $12.50

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't we been trying to persuade them for years to sell blanks? Well, here's our once a year chance.

^^^ This!

The spirit of FCBD is still there, we'll go and check out some new & free comics and hopefully while we are there, most of us will support the LCS buy purchasing some merchandise also. Maybe even bring a friend who is remotely interested in comics and such and maybe get them to become a fan and support the shop also!

Also, I'm getting my bag of 25 for about $12.50

I know for FCBD I usually make an event out of it....it is right around my birthday so I gather up as many people as possible....we hit my shop and all the rest of the shops that take part...I buy something at all of them just to thank them for taking part in this, as I think it is a fantastic event....then we hit the latest Marvel movie to cap it off....really makes for a fun and memorable birthday weekend for me......I always bring at the least my son to the shops if not all the kids, cause it wouldnt seem right other wise.....I should email my shop to see if my bag of mates are in and how much it'll run me...also wanna get my shirt before that day too...I will be supporting the day with a shirt he ordered for me as well :)

Jeff of the Miniacs

Serious question: Are newer Minimates available from any shop in the UK anymore?

I'm excluding the only two places I know ..LE & Forbidden Planet.

Not seen any mates in Liverpool FP for ages. Never ever seen any sort of freebie item in there either I think the store trolls horde them and just say they never came in.

Funny how fast an entire bag of these guys will go. I've been hoarding my last few 2005 'mates.. but no more!

For those that want a bag, but thought of it too late to order, last time around the bags came up on eBay for quite reasonable rates (ie -- retail or sometimes even less).

• 2 weeks later...
man i can't wait to get a bag of these it is a bag of 25 right!!

Yup, bag of 25

But unless you contacted your LCS about ordering one, they will probably only have enough to distribute for FCBD.

yeah i ordered 1 bag, being in the UK thats all I could get I did want 3/4 but there limited supply and are being smuggeled in under the cover of darkness as the same crazy rule that say's minimates are'nt avalible over here say's the FCBD one's are'nt either :angry:

I think your being over-reactionary & harsh on this one Winkerbean. Minimates are classed as toys & therefore cannot be sold as toys in the UK without stringent testing. It is obvious that a toy like a Minimate is dangerously addictive unlike Lego & each new ,individual Minimate character would cost $500 to pass EU ,CE testing . This would allow the Minimate(s) to be sold legally as a toy in UK stores such as ToysRUs which sell ....er..um...er..other....toys . Apparently the toys that are sold in the US TRUs are toys but not like our toys,they're different toys,they're US toys made in China which are different completely from the Chinese toys we have in our UK(EU) toy stores....like...er..um..TRU. UK.

This is all obvious to me & I think you should start to accept the simple reasoning behind "Why should every individual Minimate be classed as a new toy & tested ".....each new Minimate bears no resemblance to any other previous Minimate . The new FCBD 'Mate, for example, is completely different to the 2005(?) FCBD 'Mate ...it has a different tampo-print on its torso & a 'Made in China 2009 etc. ' on it's leg(?). Completely different ,nothing is the same .

The packing is another improvement on the deemed-dangerous FCBD 2005 version . The new package will allow the FCBD 2009 version to breathe by the addition of a hole in the package...which also may save children's lives.

Finally the Retailers exclusives such as 'Youneverfindhim Spock' are a separate case altogether,they are given away to retailers over the age of 4 who must never sell them to anybody outside of the US ....especially on ebay.

Free Comic Book Day Minimates are lethal......be warned. I am personally grateful to AA DST for protecting me from these dangerous US Toys . Bless you.

I think your being over-reactionary & harsh on this one Winkerbean. Minimates are classed as toys & therefore cannot be sold as toys in the UK without stringent testing. It is obvious that a toy like a Minimate is dangerously addictive unlike Lego & each new ,individual Minimate character would cost $500 to pass EU ,CE testing . This would allow the Minimate(s) to be sold legally as a toy in UK stores such as ToysRUs which sell ....er..um...er..other....toys . Apparently the toys that are sold in the US TRUs are toys but not like our toys,they're different toys,they're US toys made in China which are different completely from the Chinese toys we have in our UK(EU) toy stores....like...er..um..TRU. UK.

This is all obvious to me & I think you should start to accept the simple reasoning behind "Why should every individual Minimate be classed as a new toy & tested ".....each new Minimate bears no resemblance to any other previous Minimate . The new FCBD 'Mate, for example, is completely different to the 2005(?) FCBD 'Mate ...it has a different tampo-print on its torso & a 'Made in China 2009 etc. ' on it's leg(?). Completely different ,nothing is the same .

The packing is another improvement on the deemed-dangerous FCBD 2005 version . The new package will allow the FCBD 2009 version to breathe by the addition of a hole in the package...which also may save children's lives.

Finally the Retailers exclusives such as 'Youneverfindhim Spock' are a separate case altogether,they are given away to retailers over the age of 4 who must never sell them to anybody outside of the US ....especially on ebay.

Free Comic Book Day Minimates are lethal......be warned. I am personally grateful to AA DST for protecting me from these dangerous US Toys . Bless you.

When you put it that way, I resent those hateful bastards for subjecting me to so much risk of pain and misery.

BHM - I just want to take this opportunity to remind you of the vile, plotting minimates that are surely collecting in your loft as I type. Let it be known that the only way to truly protect yourself is to lure them into a plastic or cardboard prison and then ship them across the Atlantic to my address. Only within the confines of my den will these figures be held at bay by my growing legion of Scarlet Spider and electric Superman merchandise. For all others, should you too fear your minimate legions - please follow the above solution. And remember, Knowing is Half the Battle!

***This has been a public service announcement by JJWSPIDER enterprises. No minimates were injured in the typing of this message.***

So what your saying is you've set up a kind of jjwspidertanimo-bay to keep us safe from these evil minimates

Sounds more like he's built his very own version of the Raft to house all these superhero/villain Minimates. If we ever get an Electro Minimate, he might be screwed.

Well my LCS owner told me today that he's actually getting some of these minimates in. I was surprised to say the least. But hey, maybe it'll show off Minimates to his other customers and he might actually get in some regular releases.

I just got back from my LCS (Well, not JUST got back, seeing as how it's 1 in the morning...) He told me that these were WAY more popular than expected. DST CANCELED 90% of their pre-orders. He talked to a Diamond rep, who told him that if you ordered 10 bags, you'll get 1. 20 bags you get 2 bags, so on and so forth. Based on population area, if you ordered 1 bag and you're the only comic store within 100 miles, you're more likely than not to not get any at all. These were super popular, and there isn't even enough to fill half the orders. Only 10%

That's just what I got told, and he talked to someone at Diamond. So, no Minis for me :(

Unfortunately I will be banking on the fact that my LCBS will have them for FCBD. This is a good bet because they had the Iron Man Heroclix last year. Doubly unfortunate is the fact that I have to walk there because my girlfriend's taking the car out of town that week. Triply unfortunate that I'll miss the opening day of Wolverine that week too! So is the "complicated" life of a comic nerd.

I just got back from my LCS (Well, not JUST got back, seeing as how it's 1 in the morning...) He told me that these were WAY more popular than expected. DST CANCELED 90% of their pre-orders. He talked to a Diamond rep, who told him that if you ordered 10 bags, you'll get 1. 20 bags you get 2 bags, so on and so forth. Based on population area, if you ordered 1 bag and you're the only comic store within 100 miles, you're more likely than not to not get any at all. These were super popular, and there isn't even enough to fill half the orders. Only 10%

That's just what I got told, and he talked to someone at Diamond. So, no Minis for me :(

OK I was really really really hoping this was just a fart in the wind type thing but my comic guy got back to me today....there are no FCBD minimates on his ship list for next week despite the fact he ordered 3 bags, one for me two for the shop to give away....so he calls Diamond on it and in his words "Diamond was being really strange when I asked about this".... so no bag of blanks for me...I just wonder how on earth they didnt expect this to happen...I mean Matt and Chuck both lurk here so how could they not know many of us were ordering bags full of them! I am actually really annoyed about this...and easy to get minimate(especially for kids) has become a hard to find item for more of us collectors never mind the casual shoppers.

Jeff of the Miniacs

OK I was really really really hoping this was just a fart in the wind type thing but my comic guy got back to me today....there are no FCBD minimates on his ship list for next week despite the fact he ordered 3 bags, one for me two for the shop to give away....so he calls Diamond on it and in his words "Diamond was being really strange when I asked about this".... so no bag of blanks for me...I just wonder how on earth they didnt expect this to happen...I mean Matt and Chuck both lurk here so how could they not know many of us were ordering bags full of them! I am actually really annoyed about this...and easy to get minimate(especially for kids) has become a hard to find item for more of us collectors never mind the casual shoppers.

Jeff of the Miniacs

Well, sucks for all of us as a whole, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that got screwed.

.... so no bag of blanks for me...I just wonder how on earth they didnt expect this to happen...I mean Matt and Chuck both lurk here so how could they not know many of us were ordering bags full of them! I am actually really annoyed about this...and easy to get minimate(especially for kids) has become a hard to find item for more of us collectors never mind the casual shoppers.

Jeff of the Miniacs

My earlier post in this thread was pure sarcasm with a considerable blend of irony. I had never quite gotten my head around why AA would produce these FCBDs as promotional items in vast numbers , sell them to 'Bricks ' for distribution 'freely' whilst being aware that bags-full were going to be 're-sold' by the bag-full. This in my experience of AA is way out of character.

Of course Matt & Chuck & Co. lurk (loom more succinctly) here & of course they were aware that this was going to happen........was going to happen <_<

We'll see.