UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Toys revealed their "The Force Awakens" First Order Stormtroopers on Facebook this morning. And I thought my days of buying 1/6 Star Wars figures were over.

They showed the Regular Stormtrooper, Heavy Gunner Stormtrooper individually and a set of one of each. Also the Hot Toys Secret Base page showed a Stormtrooper Officer with white pauldron that is says is a Toys R Us exclusive. I think that just means in Asia it'll be a TRU exclusive because I don't see TRU here in the States carrying Hot Toys. Most likely it will be a Sideshow exclusive here.

And they revealed Kylo Ren but I'm not too excited by him at all.

I've been really slowing down in my collecting across the board, and let the OT HT Stormtrooper wait in the queue until after some custom projects were paid for, and I freed up enough funds to go after him. And now I see they are sold out everywhere. Not something you commonly see with HT nowadays, particularly for a piece that I'm sure they anticipated would sell like Hot cakes. But, Luke is still available at retail, and I'm assuming Han will be as well, so I might just go those options anyway.

I preordered the SSC EX of Luke. If you want HT Luke, I think the EX is necessary. No Han as I don't like the portrait. I didn't get Chewie since I didn't get Han. They will do more versions I imagine. I am really an Imperial collector, but I like the Luke. I got the EX Stormtrooper 2 pack and have the Spacetrooper on order. I might get another Sandtrooper but have all the SSC versions already.

I may have already posted this, but I have no pre-orders for any Hot Toys or SSC products, and it's the first time in years that that is the case. In fact, I've got a couple things through HLJ and BBTS, and a couple of custom projects I already paid for and am waiting on, but not much.

Love that photo of the 9th Doctor sculpt. The ones they shared on Facebook didn't look that amazing. They are good and the likeness is there but the angles were off or something. This one sells it. The 9th Doctor is my Doctor and I've been following Big Chief, waiting anxiously for updates. This made my week so far.

Of course now I'm going to have to track down a TARDIS... confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Avengers Mark VII Stealth Version yesterday and got a chance to crack it open tonight. The last few Iron Man armors I've received were die-cast so this one feels flimsy but only in comparison to the die-cast. Its still a solid figure and has all the quirks of the standard Mark VII. The shiny black with flat black and gray accents looks great and gives it a true stealth look as opposed to the standard comic book blue stealth suit. Its like a shadow on the shelf and makes a nice contrast to the rest of the brightly colored armors I have.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Welp, after getting a shipping quote of $32 for Deadpool from Sideshow, I just cancelled all pre-orders through Sideshow and closed my account. The final nail in my 1/6 collecting has finally happened. I chatted Sideshow to verify the Deadpool shipping quote was correct, and was told that it was indeed correct as the decision was made to not offer a shipping discount on this product.

I probably just lost $200-$300 in non-refundable deposits with them, but I'm finally done.

For me, it comes down to paying 110 euros in shipping/taxes for an average fig (say, Black Widow) and about 150-200 for the big ones (Hulk). And that's the extra part... I was thinking of going into 1/6th more heavily (apart from Doctor Who I haven't collected anything else), but after seeing these quotes I cancelled all my POs as well. It's just not feasible nowadays.

Edited by Kostisfire

Yeah, I should have kept my chat transcript. Basically the decision was made to not offer a reduced shipping cost on this item. Apparently Sideshow has traditionally "eaten" a portion of the shipping costs in order to bring pricing down to a lower price point. Because they weren't doing that with Deadpool, the full cost was being absorbed by the customer.

The worst part, and the part that pissed me off, was that I only learned of the shipping change from other Freaks members in the Deadpool thread. There was nothing communicated to customers that this change was applied to Deadpool and shipping would be higher than normal. I told the rep that I hope she communicates with anyone up the ladder that will listen that those kinds of business decisions coupled with lack of direct communication with customers just cost them a long time loyal customer, and I most likely won't be the only one. Another collector in Australia said they were trying to charge him over $100 AUD in shipping when he used to pay $30-$40 AUD.

Did you see the box that Deadpool ships in? It's almost a shoebox with some pre-cut foam. It looks like something a bootleg company would produce.

https://youtu.be/mS5eBaWhoPQ?t=2m55s

Edited by youbastards

I noticed an incremental shift in SSC's customer service over the last few years, where they're less and less customer friendly, and more and more concerned with minimizing returns. Then, you get stuff like this (both shipping cost and crappier than usual packaging), while the products themselves haven't really improved much over the last five years or so, despite SSC's claims that they were developing new technologies (like the crappy separate eye pieces that end up just making products new worse) and new factories that apparently function just the same as older factories.

I was pretty much done with 1/6 SSC when the Joe line unofficially died off--even sooner considering that they ended with a whimper with Destro and Storm Shadow V2. The only ones I still have on display are heavily modified. They charge too much, give you mediocre products, and don't care about customers. Statues have been their real forte, and they still succeed there more or less, but you never get something that feels like it is the quality of your typical Hot Toys 1/6 scale release. The only reason they are still so popular there, in my opinion, is that they have exclusive contracts that hold competition like XM Studios at bay.

I only have two pre-orders through SSC--both Hot Toys Star Wars figures--and that's probably going to be the trend for me moving forward. I pretty much have all the quarter scale statues I need (more than I need, actually), and I doubt I'll even touch their 1/6 Ash unless he gets heavily discounted through Hastings or something.