UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are these as far as collectibles are concerned? Are they worth the money?

I've been really interested in 1/6 scale figures for a few years and the Metal Gear Solid line looks REALLY tempting.

I've got 9 Hot toys figures so far, and they are brilliant if your into it. Fragile as hell so you do have to be careful but aside from the my 'mates the are the most satisfying figures I own.

when I do get the odd one I really struggle to put them away with the rest of the collection.

wether or not you think they are worth the money is up to you. I do but i really have to limit how many I buy so i just get the ones from movies or games I really like.

How are these as far as collectibles are concerned? Are they worth the money?

I've been really interested in 1/6 scale figures for a few years and the Metal Gear Solid line looks REALLY tempting.

It terms of being worth the money to you, that is going to be really subjective. If you would have asked me two years ago if I would spend $100 on a toy, I would have laughed. But now. . .a different story. I'll put it to you this way--once you get a Hot Toys figure in hand, you quickly realize that you haven't been exposed to anything like it. The detail and quality are amazing. But, for some, that might not be enough to warrant the price. Certainly, you can buy a lot of Minimates for the price of one of these guys. For the price of two or three, you can probably buy a Gold Spidey.

As for whether they are worth buying as investments (one component of something being a "collectible"), the track record for Hot Toys is very good, in my opinion. Several of their figures released a couple years ago for $80-120 now fetch anywhere from $250-500 easily. The P1 Predator that came out early last year originally sold for $160ish-$180ish, and now frequently fetch $250+. Are these good long-term investments? I don't know about that. If something better comes along, then these may well end up losing value in the long-term. Though it is difficult to imagine what improvements could lead to this.

Regarding the Metal Gear figures specifically, those are not Hot Toys. They are Medicom Real Action Heroes. And frankly, compared with Hot Toys, they suck. Some still look very cool, but the quality of the materials, the attention to detail, the sculpting, and the paint application just can't compete with Hot Toys. Plus, they usually initially cost much more than Hot Toys figures do (which is mind-boggling), though they frequently tend to be worth less than retail in the long-term, due to quality. Things might be different in Japan, but that is my observation for the U.S. I personally bought the "Croc Cap" Naked Snake a couple of months ago, and I really dig him, but he was very expensive. And, I have considered selling him because as neat as he looks, he still feels incredibly cheap and fragile (which many Medi figures are), and the paint apps are less than good for the price (something on the level of Hasbro).

My friend told me that there's a Chow Yun Fat figure in 1/6 scale, but we can't seem to find it. Do any of you recall who made it? It's not the one on eBay though. Have you guys seen the Obama figure? XD

Edited by Dio

Chow Yun Fat was made by Dragon Models Limited (DML) You can routinely find him for cheap.

An Obama figure was made by DID,

And the new Hot Toys Truetype Advanced African American nude figure has an Obama headsculpt

Damn you for planting the seed in my mind, Doc. Damn you straight to heaven.

SDC11706.jpg

SDC11707.jpg

SDC11708.jpg

and I just got me a repainted "Stoner" head for my Hicks. So I finally am proud to show the bastard off.

SDC11710.jpg

SDC11712.jpg

SDC11716.jpg

Both these guys are freakin' awesome.

Two things:

1. Damn, K80! Those are awesome. I had no idea there was a Hicks figure. (that's my last name so that's always been my favorite character from Aliens)

2. I've joined the 1/6 scale club. I stumbled upon this on eBay and won it-

Lot of 4 Sideshow Figures!

The Shaun figure doesn't have a box and one of his records, so I was wondering if anybody knew of a good site with parts/pieces for sale. I thought it was a pretty good deal- around $50 for 4 figures shipped. Any info from the experts on the Frankenstein?

I don't know where you would find specific Shaun parts, but Toy Anxiety parts out 1/6 scale figures. Sideshow released several Frankenstein monsters from various films. I got one from a later film, but it looks like yours is the iconic Karloff Frankenstein monster. Nice deal there, for sure as a 1/6 scale starter set. Beware though, they can be as addictive as Minimates.

Nice deal there, for sure as a 1/6 scale starter set. Beware though, they can be as addictive as Minimates.

I know. I got a $50 Sideshow gift card with the Origins: Wolverine Blu-Ray set that was 50% off at Best Buy last week, so I've been shopping already. I think the Zombie Priest will be joining the Zombie Babysitter vs. Shaun and Ed!

I really want a DX Joker (and Iron Man and now Cpl. Hicks- thanks a lot!), but figured this lot was a good entry-level plunge...

Nice Hicks head K80. I love the figures, but never liked the sculpts, so they got an easy pass from me.

Nice score HandsomeDevil. I'd have bought that lot just for the Frankie. I keep meaning to pick up a Frankie, but just haven't done it. I want the Mummy, too.

My last 1/6th purchase was the SS AOTC Clone. I am liking the SS Armored figures.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Glad my subliminal messages got to you Sam!

That is a GREAT looking headsculpt for Hicks. And it's a phenomenal figure too. I always wanted to have one.

My newest purchase was a Hot Toys Leonidas figure. Oh man that figure is badass. I will take pics in the next couple of days, but right now ol' King Leo is giving the ol' "THIS IS SPARTA" kick to Blade.

My newest purchase was a Hot Toys Leonidas figure. Oh man that figure is badass. I will take pics in the next couple of days, but right now ol' King Leo is giving the ol' "THIS IS SPARTA" kick to Blade.

Oh damn! This figure has been on my radar for months. I just might get bitten like Sam did.

Oh damn! This figure has been on my radar for months. I just might get bitten like Sam did.

Well. I can promise that you will absolutely LOVE the figure Shane. I read that you love the comic, and the history of Leonidas and the 300. The figure is just about the epitome of badassness. I posed him giving the sparta deathkick to ol Daywalker and my wife walked up and said "Blade would kick his ass". I nearly divorced her on the spot! Anyhoo, the figure itself is just ridiculous. The only squabble I have with it is that Hot Toys fucked up and put the damage to his helmet over his RIGHT eye. And the extra head that comes with the figure has the scar over his LEFT, like the movie.

Other than that I can't complain about anything. If you can find it, get it.

And that's one to grow on!

Resist! Don't let him plant that seed in your mind. It can only bloom into a sick, evil obsession.

BTW, your wife is right. Blade would slice that scantily clad Scotsman's leg clean off if he tried to kick him into that bottomless pit. Slice it off, and shove it down his damn throat. Then say something bad-ass, like:

"Hey Spartan, you ever play roulette? ALWAYS BET ON BLACK."

As for the Hicks head, it is actually this repainted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Hot-Toys-Navy-Seal...=item2a06757bc5

Even way back then, Hot Toys had a fine sculpt for Hicks, but couldn't give it to him due to likeness rights issues. I think that is the sculpt used for the photos on the box. And the helmet fits perfectly.

Edited by karamazov80

Resist! Don't let him plant that seed in your mind. It can only bloom into a sick, evil obsession.

BTW, your wife is right. Blade would slice that scantily clad Scotsman's leg clean off if he tried to kick him into that bottomless pit. Slice it off, and shove it down his damn throat. Then say something bad-ass, like:

"Hey Spartan, you ever play roulette? ALWAYS BET ON BLACK."

As for the Hicks head, it is actually this repainted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Hot-Toys-Navy-Seal...=item2a06757bc5

Even way back then, Hot Toys had a fine sculpt for Hicks, but couldn't give it to him due to likeness rights.

I am completely aware of that issue with Hicks' headsculpt. I think whoever repainted the SEAL gunner head did a terrific job.

As for the whole Leonidas/Blade dust-up, at least Leo can pay his taxes and didn't resort to doing any crappy b-movie to pay for them :D

I am completely aware of that issue with Hicks' headsculpt. I think whoever repainted the SEAL gunner head did a terrific job.

As for the whole Leonidas/Blade dust-up, at least Leo can pay his taxes and didn't resort to doing any crappy b-movie to pay for them :D

No one is disputing your 1/6 credentials, Doc. Far as I'm concerned, you are the master jedi when it comes to thoese things, but I figured I would share the knowledge it took me awhile to acquire, in case others were interested.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQ42h3qJfs...feature=related

No one is disputing your 1/6 credentials, Doc. Far as I'm concerned, you are the master jedi when it comes to thoese things, but I figured I would share the knowledge it took me awhile to acquire, in case others were interested.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQ42h3qJfs...feature=related

Aw shucks,

Thanks for the compliment Sam.

Glad my nerddom has paid off! Glad to know that I'm an expert at something OTHER than not getting arrested!

On a slightly different topic, I have a sneaking suspicion that T-800 is gonna be the biggest thing to hit Hot Toys since Joker. Anyone else here planning to pick him up?

I already preordered (and prepaid) my T-800 through alteregocomics. It's awesome to have a figure preordered and to know that it's already paid for as well. So far, I've got the Mark IV, DX Batman, and T-800 prepaid, and War Machine is preordered. Just don't tell my wife.. hee hee!