UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 2 Black Spider-Man and Stealth Iron Man

hyejinx1984

Both of these items are rare but attainable if patient but you do have to 'work' for them. Tapping in 'Black Spiderman' on ebay will get you this http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Minimates-Serie...1QQcmdZViewItem

.....not what I consider deal of the year but .......

'Working for it' means trawling through ALL the Minimate items on ebay & then doing the same EVERY day for new items. It's laborious & time consuming but will eventually pay off. Tapping in 'Stealth Iron Man' would not have found you this http://cgi.ebay.com/MINIMATES-huge-loose-l...1QQcmdZViewItem

....but check out the picture top left & there he is .....plus about 4 other variants!!!!! That auction was there for all to see for seven days & IMO was a steal at the price. I saw it & you would have if you followed the 'working for it' principle.

I probably sound patronising but I am only trying to be helpful .

To answer your question in a nutshell : It is unlikely you will see either for sale (currently) individually for less than $25, loose & in good condition.

To answer your question in a nutshell : It is unlikely you will see either for sale (currently) individually for less than $25, loose & in good condition.

. . .unless you "trawl" as BHM suggests, and/or search frequently through the day, searching for newly listed "BIN" steals. I saw a Stealth IM go for $7 once, but it sold in about 2 seconds to another "trawler" who probably needed it more than me, given that his EBay handle was "StealthChase"

I have actually found 2 Black Spideys--carded--and bought them both through the tedious, irrational searching manner that I am talking about. One I got for $30 shipped w/the wave 1 variant pack, and one I got for $20 shipped. . .a few weeks ago. If I wasn't poor, and didn't have a job where I could waste time here or there EBay searching, then I might have preferred to just pay for one of the higher priced versions. I wasted a LOT of time browsing EBay over the last year or so for these things, and find a good deal probably once or twice a week. In the final analysis, it probably isn't worth the hassle, from a cost/benefit perspective. Unless, of course, you take some sick enjoyment out of trawling through auctions, as I and, I suspect, some other board members here have experienced from time to time.

To become a 'trawler' it doesn't actually mean you have to go through everything every day. There are generally 500 ish auctions & another 1800+ BIN items on ebay at any given time,the technique is to spend about an hour to trawl it the once & then look at the 'new items listed ' at regular intervals ,daily, therafter. This is probably easier for US members because your auctions are in 'US real-time' whereas we, in the UK ,are often sleeping when auctions finish ,due to the time differences. Why not use UK ebay for Minimate buying? It is more expensive & a dead loss except for one or two exceptions (LE).

Probably most of that you knew but it is amazing how many people use ebay..... badly .

Edited by buttheadsmate

the technique is to spend about an hour to trawl it the once & then look at the 'new items listed ' at regular intervals ,daily, therafter.

This is where the real time-consuming part comes in, for me, because in the past I would obsessively check newly listed auctions every 15 minutes or so, and sometimes more frequently than this. Otherwise, you might miss out on the $5 variant BIN, or the $15 Giant Sized X-Men set, or whatever.

Regarding the "trawling" that BHM notes. He is correct. . .unless you become more obsessive about it, as I have been, and find it no longer sufficient to only look at new "minimate*" auctions. You also have to search "mini mate*," various potential mis-spellings, store stock and auction listings separately (previously on eBay, I couldn't get these to list together, though they seem to have fixed this issue with the recent eBay overhaul), auctions on foreign eBay sites that might sell to the U.S., "Minifig*" and "Mini fig*" listings, "LEGO" listings, which actually aren't listing LEGOs at all, etc. etc. etc. At that point, you can't just look through only new auctions, but ones that end soonest, to see if you missed something, and this takes even more time/hassle.

It is a sick thing, and I think I am largely over it, but it really becomes a kind of neurosis. Better to just buy the $60 dollar one and be done with it.

--edit: I forgot to mention, if you search within listings, as well as auction titles, then you find yourself looking at even MORE auctions, many of which with non-Minimate crap but from a seller who says "look at my other auctions, where I sell X, Y, Z, and Minimates!" But you can't not search through these, otherwise you will miss out on a bargain somewhere!!--

Edited by karamazov80

As a fellow kubrick collector do you reckon Minimates will ever become as expensive ?

I don't. Looking at it purely from the supply side, Kubricks have to be imported, and thus are harder to get a hold of here, which jacks up the initial baseline price, even for less popular Kubs (the import costs play a role in restricting supply). Also, as you know, the chases for Kubricks are often significantly rarer than those of Minimates, which affects the prices of those, specifically, in a way that Minimates can't match, because of the supply.

But apart from that, I have communicated with someone from Japan on another board, who suggested that many of the harder to find Kubricks here (Snake w/croc head; Batman Begins set) are also very difficult to find/expensive in Japan. I don't know the production numbers on these things (I know that Snake is hard to find), so it may be that these are simply in higher demand everywhere, but can you imagine a "mass released" Minimate set (like the Batman Begins Kubs) easily selling for $150? What about a complete set, minus variants, for any given wave going for $100+ easily, as with the 4th "series" of Star Wars Kubs?

The only scenario in which I can see Minimate values meeting or exceeding that of Kubricks, in general, is if Minimates become really hot amongst general collectors and/or kids for whatever reason. If so, then presumably the older, out of production Minimates would become harder to find as people gobbled them up, and more expensive to buy, as more people become willing to pay more to complete their collections.

Edited by karamazov80

My biggest advice. Patience. It took me 6 months & 1 1/2 years to find Black Spidey and Variant Blue Iron Man a while back. They were two that I had to have and I started collecting around wave 3 or 4 so I was always trying to back track and get those.. (two of my favorite marvel guys.. and Black Spidey has been my favorite spidey costume since the 80's :) )

Good luck man, you have a lot of resource here with this crew.. and if you just keep checking ebay you'll find a deal eventually.

Suerte,

Vox

As a fellow kubrick collector do you reckon Minimates will ever become as expensive ?

I don't. Looking at it purely from the supply side, Kubricks have to be imported, and thus are harder to get a hold of here, which jacks up the initial baseline price, even for less popular Kubs (the import costs play a role in restricting supply). Also, as you know, the chases for Kubricks are often significantly rarer than those of Minimates, which affects the prices of those, specifically, in a way that Minimates can't match, because of the supply.

But apart from that, I have communicated with someone from Japan on another board, who suggested that many of the harder to find Kubricks here (Snake w/croc head; Batman Begins set) are also very difficult to find/expensive in Japan. I don't know the production numbers on these things (I know that Snake is hard to find), so it may be that these are simply in higher demand everywhere, but can you imagine a "mass released" Minimate set (like the Batman Begins Kubs) easily selling for $150? What about a complete set, minus variants, for any given wave going for $100+ easily, as with the 4th "series" of Star Wars Kubs?

The only scenario in which I can see Minimate values meeting or exceeding that of Kubricks, in general, is if Minimates become really hot amongst general collectors and/or kids for whatever reason. If so, then presumably the older, out of production Minimates would become harder to find as people gobbled them up, and more expensive to buy, as more people become willing to pay more to complete their collections.

I have been led to believe that kubrick box-sets are produced in numbers of less than 2000 which equates to Minimate Box sets such as the SM3 & Civil War but I have to agree that I cannot see Minimates becoming that expensive. That doesn't mean to say I understand why they won't because in no way are they inferior to kubricks. Weird !

That doesn't mean to say I understand why they won't because in no way are they inferior to kubricks. Weird !

Agreed. There is no accounting for taste! I run across folk on other forums from time to time who knock Minimates at the expense of Kubricks with arguments like, "they just don't look as good," "what's the point, you might as well get a regular action figure if you don't like 6 points of articulation," or "they just don't look like high quality collectibles," etc. I typically try to show these idiots people the error of their ways, but some people just have bad taste. This is a reality that I have to learn to accept, I guess (btw, sorry about hijacking the thread, hyejinx :) )

Well, as you know TRU just got Minimates and they're pretty hard to find :D I know I haven't wasted my money because Minimates are so awesome and they usually retain their value.

These two minimates I could not find on Ebay or google shopping ANYWHERE... so, clearly, very rare... does anyone know how much these two go for?

You Prick ,why don't you just ask "How much should I sell them for?" :Cock:http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Minimates-Black...1QQcmdZViewItem

Damn. I'll certainly reconsider my thoughts of bidding on ANY of your auctions. Taking advantage of members here is not going to get you any karma points in the long run.