UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Masters of the Universe Classics

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to get a Flocked Moss Man today. I was there when they went on sale, had it in my cart and in the time that took it was sold out (12:02 when the sale starts at 12). Huge, epic fail for Mattel. I'm so thankful DST hasn't tried the on-line thing yet with exclusives.

Yeah, I really wanted Man-E-Faces, Snake Knight guy, and Mossman, since I enjoyed the toys so much as a kid. But I couldn't get one in time today. Oh, well. I reckon He-Man, Battlecat, and Skeletor are enough for my collection, anyhoo.

The sell outs on mattycollector are one of the only reasons why I got the subscription. The upcoming Keldor figure is a bonus figure though so I will have to go the website to get him which considering how fast things go there I hope I can get him there and not have to resort to ebay. Keldor and Faker are the only two 200X MOTU figures that I didn't get so I am so excited for the Keldor coming up.

I signed up for the geekchicdaily e-mails updates and they just had one about Mossman and how he has a smell to him and then they mentioned how Stinkor smelled like a fart wrapped in plastic and that gave me a great laugh. I really hope they get around to making him.

Just FYI for you guys wanting Mossy. Matty has already confirmed they are reissuing him. So, yes, he sold out in no time but he will be back in a few months. If you guys have facebook it is fun to laugh at the people who get soooo upset about not getting a figure that has already been stated to be on the list to be resold.

My Mom got to stay home from work today, and graciously went to Matty's to order both DCUC 12 and Moss Man.

Moss Man was Sold out. Seeing GH's post just pisses me off. I in no way collect this line, but i have favorite characters and Moss Man is one i certainly wanted. I hope he gets rereleased after June, when the production numbers are supposed to increase.

My Mom was totally not shocked after hearing the whole Out of Stock at 12:02 thing. She went on at :05 and they were gone, so she she was like "whaaa...??" But she hears me complain so much about MOTUC she gets it. :P

I just PRAY to God i get Optikk though!!!! He, and Mo-Larr, are the two figures i need to have from this line.

EDIT: Hahahahahaha has anyone checked out the Matty MOTUC Forums lately?? I love the "Screw you; i got my Moss Man, don't cry to me" Matty-lovers' mentality. It's disgusting. Gotta love how there are at least 10 new threads there though just because of the Moss Man debacle. Freaking great.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Just FYI for you guys wanting Mossy. Matty has already confirmed they are reissuing him. So, yes, he sold out in no time but he will be back in a few months. If you guys have facebook it is fun to laugh at the people who get soooo upset about not getting a figure that has already been stated to be on the list to be resold.

Of course, Matty re-issues everything, but you have to wait somewhere on the order of 6-12 months for that, and even then, you've still got to be fast and lucky to get them sometimes (Skeletor's 1st reissue sold out very quickly). If I really cared enough, I would rather just shell out the $75 on eBay for one as opposed to waiting that long.

To TTF's post, I wouldn't worry so much about Optikk. I could be wrong, but I don't see him being as popular as the OG He-Man toys. My interest stems solely from nostalgia, as I bet most others do, and that eyeball guy didn't show up til the early 2000s from my understanding.

That is to say, he should stay online for at least 15 minutes. . .

Edited by karamazov80

Optikk is from the the New Adventures of He-Man from 1990 from a fairly awful series (at least in my opinion compared to the other series. I liked to call this series He-Man in Space). But I would agree K80 that I don't think any one will have to worry about picking up this figure. Atleast I don't think it will sell out within the first day if not the first couple days.

Edited by gambitron

Optikk will be the monkey wrench that screws this up even more. Mattel is claiming they are trying to cut these production runs super tight. (obviously if you can sell out in 2 minutes) But they are catching holy hell over these lighting sell outs. So they are saying they are looking to increase their production numbers, but because of the time involve, it will be several figures down the road before they can really effect anything. My prediction is the figure that they finally see a bigger production run is Optikk, a figure only a handful of people even remember, let alone are clamoring for. So further, I think Optikk will not only not sell out quickly, it will not sell out. This will confuse the hell out of Mattel and they'll decide to pull hard back on production numbers again.

I really couldn't understand why so many people were going insane over Moss Man. Mattel has reissued, or is planning to reissue, EVERY figure that has been released to date, including the exclusives Faker and King Grayskull. Why they would have figured Moss Man to be the exception is beyond me.

I agree that the sellouts are waaay to fast, but realistically, if you want the figure, you ARE going to get it. You just may have to wait till the reissue hits.

I still believe that the max quantity ordered should be 2 for the first week, then unlimited after that. It would give more people a chance to order the first time around and would possibly extend the shelf life to a couple hours as opposed to minutes.

All you guys who missed out, don't give up. I'm sure you'll get your chance.

I just read that the ToyGuru guy who apparently handles PR said that Mossman is likely going to be re-released, but not in 2010. So, just another 9 + months until it comes up again. They are working in earnest to get people to sign up for those subscriptions, which seems to be part of the reason for the low production numbers. That's fair enough--they can do whatever the heck they want, and there is really no excuse if people have an opportunity to get the subscription but don't--but it sucks for folks like myself who are casual fans who just want a few characters.

The deal with production is that it takes 6 months lead time for them to increase production, which means June, which is She-Ra. I know this because I also lurk on the He-Man.org boards. The problem with the line is that if one figure gets over produced it could easily stop the line in its tracks. So they make as many as they think will reasonably sell in a day or two. This way they don't have to pay for extra warehouse space (this is my guess). From what they have said the figures cost a decent amount to make because of the size, detailing, and articulation.

Optikk will most likely still sell fast due to it having a low run number. I am a patient person. I waited 20 years to get toys for MOTU that were this kick ass. If I have to wait another 9 months to get a figure I never thought I would get 'oh darn'.

Optikk will most likely still sell fast due to it having a low run number. I am a patient person. I waited 20 years to get toys for MOTU that were this kick ass. If I have to wait another 9 months to get a figure I never thought I would get 'oh darn'.

Hardcore MOTU enthusiasts have the subscription option, though. This is a more a nuisance for those of us who are more casual fans wanting only select figures for whom the subscription would serve little purpose.

Of course, if someone cares enough about a given toy, they always have 2 options--pay jacked up eBay fees, or wait 9 months and play the Mattycollector lottery again. But fans of toys are a fickle bunch, are whiny, and are typically not interested in "deferred gratification." As such, Matty's extraordinary inability to anticipate demand (if they want enough stock to last 2 days and it sells out in 2 minutes, there is a problem, even if the MossMan numbers were thought up six months ago) is not good business sense, in my opinion. It really seems that they are doing this, in some measure, as an attempt to sell "guaranteed" buys via the subscriptions service. That is fine and good, but I hope that they are anticipating the potential costs of frustrating and losing customers at the expense of ensuring some guaranteed money next year.

Maybe I am naive, but when Mattel says that they under-produced because the demand is way higher than they ever expected, I believe them. Sometimes though I wonder if they aren't doing what Nintendo did when the Wii first came out. They purposefully kept production low because it built a buzz about it. This in turn ensured that as soon as they made the next shipment it would sell out. I am sure they know how much they are ticking customers off because of the number of "F#@% You Matty " posts that end up on their facebook wall and in their own forums.

You are correct though the collecting community can be whiny and fickle. You forgot about the huge number that also feel entitled. I am always amazed at the number of 'fans' who bash every product that is put out. For the most part the place has avoided that and I am very thankful that I don't have to go through page after page of gripping about how some little defect has ruined a figure. Yes it happens occasionally but not to the extent that the .org has it happening. If it wasn't for my wife's love of MOTU the fans from the .org would have made me stop collecting.

There is a place for complaints to be made, I think. Apart from the role complaining plays as a feedback mechanism for those who make toys, it also serves the purpose of allowing people a simple outlet for their opinions and as a means of spurring debate, something that toy forums would be rather boring without, IMO. But I agree, it can go too far. I've seen folks complaining too much about these and the DC figures, as well as Hot Toys' work believe it or not (and prior to that, the 25th Anniversary Joes). At a certain point, it becomes redundant and tedious, and that doesn't serve any real good I don't think.

Regarding Matty's gross inability to estimate demand, I think there are two possibilities. 1) They are not very bright; 2) This is a calculated move to sell more stuff in the long run. I thought I was being gracious not assuming the first :lol: , but I don't know enough about those guys to really speculate one way or the other, I don't guess. However, the repeated calls for fans to join the subscription seems to suggest something.

• 2 months later...

I am still debating getting the subscription for next year. I want to make sure I get the figures and their new subscription ensures you get one of ALL the MOTU figures unlike this year where there were the bonus figures you still had to pay for seperately. On the other hand there will be figures that I don't want or large size figures I don't want to pay 60$+ for. I may do it and resell what I don't want just so that I can make sure that I get the ones I want when they first come out.

I am incredibly excited for this month's Keldor and then the Mo-Larr and Skeletor and Orko/Prince Adam packs from SDCC all are going to be incredible. I am glad that they will put the SDCC figures on the mattycollector site after the show so that there is atleast a possibility that I won't have to pick them up on ebay since I won't be going to the show.

• 2 weeks later...

You can tell it's MOTU day because the Mattel site keeps giving the 'Thanks for your interest...' screen on their order page (for at least 10 minutes before the sale even starts. And I don't even want any MOTU toys (She-Ra is for girls anyway), I just want a Peter Venkman.

Months and months of the same problems and they still can't fix their site. I wonder if it's because after months and months of the same problems and collectors keep buying their stuff? If it were me, I don't think I'd spend the money to fix it properly to fix it either if people kept coming back.

I had to leave for lunch and I'm still having problems (almost an hour later) just trying to get a Venkman. I got to the part where I confirm my order (finally) and I got an error. And then a different one. Now I can't get on their site at all. They really, really suck at this.

And vbp, you're not a girlie for what you bought-you're double-girlie. :kiss: :kiss:

Edited by groundhog7s

I, for once, decided to try and log on at 12:00 today. I REALLY wanted She-ra and Keldor, but i needed to make sure i was on for DCUC Wave 5; collectors of the line know why.

12:00 on Matty, take it from a first-timer, is a LIVING HELL. The billions of waiting screens you have to sit through were insane, and every time i got somewhere the next click was right back. And i was getting nervous by missing everything with the "Coming Soon" labels, and the sale starting while i had a waiting screen.

Ultimately, i got on fine around 12:20 or so, and was able to buy one of everything except Venk; i'm waiting for the 4-pack, and have Peck. I checked back like 40 minutes later, and She-ra and Keldor were gone. Never going on Matty for Noon ever again, but so happy i did today. :blush:

Mattycollector.com takes the frustration of the brick-and-mortar scalper hunt, and applies it to the convenience of online shopping.

As much as I like the MOTU Classic figures, I will never purchase a single thing from the website purely out of principle.

You'll never get the chance to purchase anything. According to Mattel, a successful store is one with ZERO products to sell. :huh:

Forgot to mention, i found Optikk at Philly Comic-Con for $35 on Saturday!!!!!! As i knew it would be, he is my fav MOTUC now; i like NA He-man, and as soon as i heard about MOTUC i wanted Optikk. Now i have Optikk. :)

I'm not sure what I'm doing different than a lot of you guys, and all the other people who are having trouble. I have gotten every one I wanted on the day it was released. That includes Keldor today... I got on at 12:00, and was done with my transaction literally by 12:10. I usually get the busy screen in between each step of the ordering process. It may seem like a long wait, but again, it only took me ten minutes. That is about the same amount of time each time except for when i ordered two things, and was able to get them both.

I ask you, am I just getting lucky every time..... or am I just a little more patient in the waiting?

I got lost in the queue. It kept telling me not to refresh my page, and I finally gave up after 1.5 hours. I kid you not. I ended up buying Keldor for $45 shipped from an ebay seller. I hate to do that, but it's almost worth the markup not to have to deal with that awful site.

I'm so thankful I bought a sub, and I'm definitely going to buy one for next year as well.