UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star trek Wave 5

Now, was Kirk ever billed as "Trouble With Tribbles" Kirk? I do believe he was described simply as "green shirt" Kirk.

I hope the Star Trek line continues, but it looks like it's time to move on to the newer Trek properties.

Yeah, it actually says "Trouble With Tribbles" Kirk on the package, so it wasn't crazy to hope for some tribbles. But, hey, another phaser is great too.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the pretty open dialogue that we share with DST Matt & Chuck, as well as the fan Q & A's both here and in the new AA site, I think that many of the arm chair quarterbacks here are losing sight of some of the logistics that we've heard (repeatedly) come into play when planning waves.

We (the Multiverse with all our customizers, army builders and completionists)) are not solely the target market - as we've heard before, the waves are subject to discussion based on what they think will be popular, fan input and marketability. There's also the small matter of cost and integrating a combination of new and old molds to be economical. I'm certain that Wave 5 was not a random assembly of characters but considered all these aspects.

Consider the following: We've heard from DST that, though we may think it's overkill, Kirk is high visibility in the various lines and incorporating him into each wave is a constant marketing challenge for DST. The inclusion of DS9 offered a new property and gave the ST License some depth - though the characters are unfortunately similar to the TNG characters of Wave 4 and don't "pop' as being new or particularly original. On the other hand, the motion picture characters do offer a new license, but with the distinction of being truly original looking (instead of DS9's re-hash TNG uniforms), and they were all done with some pretty decent new molds and designs. This wave makes sense in a lot of ways. I happen to like this wave format and enjoy seeing something a little unique each wave. Sure, I have favorites that I'd like to see, but I also have to realize that it isn't all about what I want.

On a side note about over saturating the Kirks... Sometimes you gotta keep some mainstream stuff in the waves to draw in new buyers. No one complains 'cause there's like 50 different Spiderman Minimates, or Iron Man for that matter.

Finally... as for the issue of this being the final wave - I think the alarmists need to remember a couple of things:

1. I've said before, it's no secret that DST and AA have a lot of irons in the fire - things like Spirit and Punisher are obviously priorities while the licenses are fresh (relative to the movie releases), unlike Star Trek, which is pretty static for now - if anything, holding off on new product for a summer release may cash in on residual hype of the new movie.

"

2. It's holiday time - and as a toy and collectible retailer, I'm sure energy is being spent on geting the "now" stuff to market in time for the holiday shopping season.

3. Finally - Toyfair is coming soon - and it's fair to expect that news of new items and/or prototypes are on hold in order to allow for some new announcements at the show (especially since Playmates will probably steal some of the thunder with the new ST movie product).

4. DST has never hinted that ST Minimates are anything but a solid performer for them.

So, maybe it's a good idea not worry too much about the end of the ST license (in Minimate form) and give it a couple of months and see what shakes loose.

I hope this isn't the end of Star Trek Minimates, but if it is I'm satisfied I guess. I grew up with TNG but TOS is my favorite and was just happy to get series 2 so I'd have the full bridge crew. Everything else has been icing on the cake for me. But now that we have Picard I really want the rest of the TNG crew and I'd love to have the rest of the movie guys.

And tribbles or no, I like the green-shirt Kirk. If I want tribbles bad enough I'm sure the craft store has some kinda fur balls that'll work.

I hope this isn't the end of Star Trek Minimates, but if it is I'm satisfied I guess. I grew up with TNG but TOS is my favorite and was just happy to get series 2 so I'd have the full bridge crew. Everything else has been icing on the cake for me. But now that we have Picard I really want the rest of the TNG crew and I'd love to have the rest of the movie guys.

And tribbles or no, I like the green-shirt Kirk. If I want tribbles bad enough I'm sure the craft store has some kinda fur balls that'll work.

That's pretty much what got included with the 3" Tribbles Kirk as well as AA's 7" series of "Trials & Tribble-ations" DS9 characters.

That's pretty much what got included with the 3" Tribbles Kirk as well as AA's 7" series of "Trials & Tribble-ations" DS9 characters.

Yep, "dingle-balls" ( those 'lil upholstry/decorating fuzz-balls attached by string to a banding-strip sold in fabric/craft stores). That's exactly what were included in the 3" versions. While I haven't really looked yet to see if there are any "in-scale" with the 2"ers, I do recall seeing tiny ones at one time (granted, that was probably in the 70's! :P ). I'll have to see if I can track some down as I'd love to get a string of them in various colors (they'll need to be cut-off the strings) to litter my bridge with! As for coming with the 'mates, I never really expected any as I'd imagine it would have exceeded budget.

As far as Trek ending? I sincerely doubt it with the new movie being released and all of the hype surrounding it. With so many 'mates being released this year (that we already know about) in various lines, box sets, exclusives, and now TRU I'm sure that DST/AA are extremely busy at the moment. In fact, I'm constantly amazed each time we do hear about new 'mates lately as there seems to be an ass-load of product on tap for the next 6 months. I'm wondering what will "give" first, DST and AA's ability to keep-up with production or mine!!

* I would like to cast my personal vote for some episode-specific Trek box sets, that'd be a good way to fill-in some gaps in our collections between waves (though I imagine it requires just as much planning). B)

I'm hoping that with TRU carrying 'mates again, and the fact that there will be Star Trek merch in TRU again (see teaser here, second paragraph: http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/ ) that we might soon find Star Trek 'mates there too.

As far as character selection, I think it's been good all around. We got the TOS crew done, but there are still quite a few costume variations left for them as well as aliens/villans, We got TNG and DS9 captians with army builders, the extra Picards and Siskos can be used for other characters, while building a small army of Borg and Cardassians. An extra Capt Sisko can make a Movie Picard as well. I'm holding out hope for more Mirror, Mirror figures & there are mirror versions of some other crews as well. We could always get army builder 5 packs too, like we got for Cylons. Klingon (TOS & modern), Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Dominion, Starfleet, Andorian, Kahn followers, Ferengi, the list is huge. I'd love some space suit figures too. This property has legs, we just have to continue supporting it. I'm thrilled that the TOS crew is complete, but I won't be satisfied untill I at least have a full red jacket movie, TNG and DS9 collection.

edit: ok, the link didn't go right to the article, so here is the paragraph:

"Diamond Select Toys & Toys R Us Team Up!

Diamond Select Toys and Toys R Us are excited to announce a new partnership that will bring the latest DST products to Toys R Us stores nationwide! That's right, now you can find all your favorite collector toys by visiting the greatest toy store there is!

The geek-chic U.S.S. Enterprise from the classic Star Trek series can now be found on Toys R Us shelves just in time for the holiday shopping season and this is just the tip of the interstellar iceberg for Star Trek fans. We've also got two exclusive Star Trek action figures shipping very soon and a host of other new and best-selling surprises to unveil over the coming months."

Edited by tones

Did anyone else notice there are two faces on the Gul Dukat head? If you remove the hairpiece the original Gul Dukat face (the one shown on the back of the package) is on the back of the head. The face on the front is kind of generic is this DST's way of letting you army build Cardassians? Or do the two faces represent two different appearances Dukat had during the show?

Did anyone else notice there are two faces on the Gul Dukat head? If you remove the hairpiece the original Gul Dukat face (the one shown on the back of the package) is on the back of the head. The face on the front is kind of generic is this DST's way of letting you army build Cardassians? Or do the two faces represent two different appearances Dukat had during the show?

Cool- thanks for the"heads up"--I did not notice this at all, now I may have to open my varient pack up...it's like getting a whole extra figure---very good idea DST!

Still no Trek wave 5 on Diamond shipping list for Dec 24, 2008. It's gonna be a sad Christmas for me. :(

Same here. I'll buy any Trek 'mates I can get my paws on.

One thing folks concerned about the line may want to remember: This is a movie year unlike any other for Star Trek. It's not just about another Trek movie, it's about the relaunch of the franchise. There's a good chance that CBS wants to focus on product based on the movie (which DST doesn't have the license to produce). That, along with other reasons cited earlier, might be keeping DST from pushing their product as much as usual.

I'm hoping that the new film doesn't render the original franchise (TOF) and product based on it obsolete. Making it so would be bad for business. Let's hope Star Trek generates interest and produces more fans who want to spend their cash on anything Trek, especially the coolest block figures on the planet.

One other thing: It would've been cool to do a Tribbles Kirk as a single 'mate in a blister half-filled with little, plastic, multi-colored tribbles. The backer card could've replicated the opened bin of quatrotriticale. That would have been the perfect frame for the smirk on Kirk's face.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...2d1f601fde8cc04

With a brown & black sharpie put some dots on and instant Tribble

Oh, that's even better; they're ready to go! The ones I was referring to (pom-pom fringe) are the same, but need to be cut off of their tethers. Don't forget some pink and tan ones too!

I am waiting for Marvel 23 and 24 to come into stock at BBTS to have them ship those and my ST wave 5 that is already in stock so I hope that January 7th is the correct date for the Marvel waves cause I hate having to wait to get the ST wave. I am excited for this wave and I really hope that they keep these going there are so many more characters that just need to be made.