UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I dropped Lego for...

Shup Dude

I dropped Lego for Minimates. I just thought it was time... over $600 in Legos, and I've been buying them since I was about eight or nine. You think it was worth it?

I like building stuff with Legos, and I'll see if Minimate's C3 feet fit on those Lego bricks. I hope they do, then I can make a C3 Batcave replica in Lego form! :D

• 1 month later...

My lego collection is over 2000$ worth of Star Wars lego sets because I just love these sets (I have a 60$ attack shuttle coming in the mail right now) but if they stopped making these lego sets and continued minimates forever I would be just fine because minimates are amazing and much more enjoyable for the money. Although I get a lot more play time with my son with legos than minimates, but that is simply because I don't let him touch my minimates!

I will still buy new lego sets that strike me as cool, which will be for a while since they just keep making new sets even though I keep thinking to myself that there is nothing left to make!

I won't even bother trying to figure out how much I've spent on LEGO. :)

Was it worth it? I think it was worth it to drop LEGO for Minimates if you're more interested in Minimates. It's all about personal preference.

I dropped Minimates for LEGO, myself. For me, I found that I was spending too much on my toy hobby, and since LEGO was putting out so many great sets and the Minimates were having some major quality issues, the choice was easier to make. I don't regret it.

Also, the C3 feet do fit LEGO bricks, so you will be able to make your sets Minimate compatible with some modifications. Minimates are great toys, and it sounds like you are done with LEGO anyway, so I would say you made the right choice for you.

Edited by minivenom

Making trade-offs is an inevitable part of collecting. My collecting interests tend re-adjust every 4-6 months or so, and when they do, I sell some of the stuff I'm not as actively collecting anymore to buy the stuff I'm into at that time. Unfortunately, my latest trends have been moving into more expensive toys, which I can't afford by selling my older stuff. Lego sets tend to be expensive as you know, so at least you are moving into cheaper toys.

Edited by karamazov80

It's funny, I started picking up LEGO sets because they went so well with Minimates. I enjoy building ships and sets for my DC Mates to battle in.

Not only will the holes in a Minimates' foot fit a LEGO peg but a lego hand will fit in a Mate's arm allowing them to hold LEGO accessories, and LEGO backpacks and air tanks will also fit on Minimates.

Edited by hypno

It's funny, I started picking up LEGO sets because they went so well with Minimates. I enjoy building ships and sets for my DC Mates to battle in.

Not only will the holes in a Minimates' foot fit a LEGO peg but a lego hand will fit in a Mate's arm allowing them to hold LEGO accessories, and LEGO backpacks and air tanks will also fit on Minimates.

I only stopped buying LEGO because I have so many LEGO pieces and people.

I'll buy some LEGO sets that come out, if I like them. But until then, I'm not getting any more.

I stopped sometime last summer. Indy sets and the Harley Hammer Truck were the last for me.

I just had too many, and am in the process of clearing out my hellhole (bedroom). It's a three-year process. ;)

Legos are fun, but some take up too much space. All of my others end up broken apart in tubs, never to be seen again.

Although i break this pact for the Shanghai Chase and Flying Wing recently released.

I'm actually still a bit more into LEGO sets than I am into mates, although I tend to change my opinion every now and then. *Prepares to get shot* They just seem much more expandable, and they're excellent to display since everybody knows what they are.

Whats even better is they're fairly easy to army build with. It's just for me Mates have become a hit or miss thing, and there is almost always one good set in every LEGO line, while some Minimate waves are just extremely boring(However, the new ones are much better). I've always liked LEGO, I guess it's because that is what I grew up with(Still have the classic Fright Knight).

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that I wish would happen with lego is to be more uniform in the pricing on the sets. I don't know how they figure this but you might have a Jedi Starfighter set for 20$ and then a spider droid set for like 35$, and yes I realize the spider droid set says that it is a limited edition but still. I wish there was some sort of pieces-price ratio that made a little more sense so I could feel more enthused about my purchases when I want to buy a set.

I thought briefly about getting the $70 Aqua Raiders set for $17. The only problem was it's not Aqua Raiders. It's some crap with the same name. Bring back my Aqua Sharks!

Actually, It Was Aquaraiders. The Line You're Thinking Of Was Called Aqua Zone, It Featured Aqua Sharks, Hydronauts And Stingrays.

I thought briefly about getting the $70 Aqua Raiders set for $17. The only problem was it's not Aqua Raiders. It's some crap with the same name. Bring back my Aqua Sharks!

hahaha the way i statrted collecting minimates was for a science project senior year we had 2 make a modle of what our house would look like off the power grid. i used one of the legos green base boards and bulit a lego house. then for my people it was the toy r us street fighter 4 pack with dimitri ryu akuma and morrigan... that how i got into my minimate craze

Actually, It Was Aquaraiders. The Line You're Thinking Of Was Called Aqua Zone, It Featured Aqua Sharks, Hydronauts And Stingrays.

Blah blah blah

http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Aquazone

This is what you are doing. :lol:

This is what I want you to do. :mellow:

:P

I still have this one built to this day. A very cool sub, one of the best.

This one, however, is probably the coolest Lego set ever created. I saved for months as a kid to get this thing. And you know what? It was so worth it!

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a huge Lego fan, but I stopped about three years ago when they got so damn expensive!

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?...n=520&d=322

Really? Those need to be that expensive? I don't know, it just seems like five years ago those would all be about 10-20 dollars cheaper.

I used to be a huge Lego fan, but I stopped about three years ago when they got so damn expensive!

Really? Those need to be that expensive? I don't know, it just seems like five years ago those would all be about 10-20 dollars cheaper.

All Those Sets Are Part Of The Clone Wars Sets. And All The Sets Are Horribly Over-Priced. The Only Exceptions Being The Clone Walker Battle Pack, The Assasin Droid Battle Pack And The Hyena Droid Bomber. The Battle Packs Are Only 9.99 (USD) And The Hyena Droid Is Only 19.99.

If You Are Looking For Some Of The Guys Like Count Dooku, Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Mace Windu, Yoda, And A Couple Others, But You Don't Want To Buy The Whole Set, Then The Magnet Sets Are A Fantasic Option. The Newer Magnets Are 100% Honest To Goodness Mini-Figs That Clip Onto A Magnetic Brick. You Get Three Magnets For 14.99 (USD). There Are Four Different Sets In Star Wars, One In Indiana Jones, One In Spongebob (Upcoming Not Out Yet), One In Pirates (Upcoming), And One In City (Upcoming).

Actually I was just thinking today how remarkably well Lego has held it's value. It has gone up, yes, but it's been slow and gradual, and the re-sale loss is relatively minimal.

Check the Batman LEGO sets on Ebay if you want to see some return on your investment. :D

I've got a new LEGO project I'm starting soon. I found some glass blocks with openings cut in the top. I'm going to fill the blocks with LEGO - all the same color, if not all the same brick. Then I'm going to install them in between my boys' rooms at my new house.

I'd like to see pictures of that :D I have a project in mind which involves making a dividing wall in our house which is basically one huge glass display case. I like your idea a lot ,we'll need those pics.

I noticed a while back the price of Batman Lego :ohmy: I held off getting 'into' it a year or so ago & could kick myself now.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I actually stole the idea from the LEGO HQ in Enfield.

S5300032.jpg

S5300034.jpg

S5300033.jpg

I've just been looking for a way to accomplish the same look all these years. I found cases of 6 blocks for about $30.00. I figure, if I cut away the drywall to the studs, I can mount a shelf to set the block on - making it look like its part of the wall.

Once I get it done I'll post pics.

I think the movie has had a lot to do with all the inflated prices on these sets. At onetime the Batman sets were one of the easiest LEGO lines to find on sale, I picked up most of the sets at 50% off or more.

Yes. Lego Batman Was Once A Very Easy To Obtain Line. When Lego Batman First Came Out, They Released A Lot Of Big Expensive Sets That Weren't Particularly Amazing To Standard Consumers (AFOLs However Did See Their Greatness). The High Prices And Low Sales On Two-Three Lines (I Can't Recall Off Hand) Led To The Lego Group Being Stuck With A Lot Of Unsold Batman. When The Recent Wave Came Out, The Most Expensive Set Was The Tumbler And Joker's Ice Cream Truck at 50.00 USD. Part Of The Clamour For These New Sets Was The Movie, The Other Part Was The Release Of The Game. The Problem Was, That After Getting Burnned On The Previous Waves, Lego Didn't Produce The Numbers They Should Have For This Wave. Another Down Note Was That Lego Had No Intention Of Continuing The Batman Liscense After 2008.

I think the movie has had a lot to do with all the inflated prices on these sets. At onetime the Batman sets were one of the easiest LEGO lines to find on sale, I picked up most of the sets at 50% off or more.

Y. L B W O A V E T O L. W L B F C O, T R A L O B E S T W P A T S C (AFOLs H D S T G). T H P A L S O T-T L (I C R O H) L T T L G B S W A L O U B. W T R W C O, T M E S W T T A J I C T at 50.00 USD. P O T C F T N S W T M, T O P W T R O T G. T P W, T A G B O T P W, L D P T N T S H F T W. A D N W T L H N I O C T B L A 2008.

Thanks For The Info Dux But That Posting Style....Hurts My Eyes.

Is it coded?

Off the top of my head I'd say "no". :P

That is good information to have, Dux, thanks!