UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

One thing DC Mates had over Marvel...

hyejinx1984

I use Batwoman's face for a lot of quickies,

...gold

@Shup Dude: I think he was refering to the ghastly duck-feet that Hulk and Abom. use...man are they UGLY!! :(

yes those duck feet annoy me ...

sigh... they aren't pleasant...

my props belong to the classic mask... having the sections cut off to expose the actual core body of the minimate i think gives the minimates face more character.... im eyeing my shelf as i type... all the captain americas, antman, the newer flash, hawkeye, thanos, any of the cyclops.... the detail required to pull those off makes them look awesome..... as i look at wasp, batwoman, bearded thor (oh man he woulda looked soo sick with a sculpted mask :blink:) to me they look more like toys and less like minimates.... their grins look fake almost....the only exceptions i can think of are harley quinn (sorry nessex, different skin color, what could they do?) and i guess smiley spiderman(the original, not movie)... luke cage's "tuque" was just laziness ;) .....ive already taken efforts to get more classic masks into my collection.... i carefully cut away the flesh from batwomans mask and painted the edges... shes beautiful..... i hardly even liked her before.... havent picked my next victim yet.....vall in all i hope marvel sticks with the sculpted masks over the full faces....

as for the consistency of the lines.... karamazov has this on lock down... over something like 5 years...? im friggen stoked we HAVE improvements... minimates wouldnt have flourished if they didnt improve the detail/quality of the common mate... dc was at the right place at the right time... so to speak...

thanks for listening B)

I use Batwoman's face for a lot of quickies,

...gold

@Shup Dude: I think he was refering to the ghastly duck-feet that Hulk and Abom. use...man are they UGLY!! :(

sigh... they aren't pleasant...

my props belong to the classic mask... having the sections cut off to expose the actual core body of the minimate i think gives the minimates face more character.... im eyeing my shelf as i type... all the captain americas, antman, the newer flash, hawkeye, thanos, any of the cyclops.... the detail required to pull those off makes them look awesome..... as i look at wasp, batwoman, bearded thor (oh man he woulda looked soo sick with a sculpted mask :blink:) to me they look more like toys and less like minimates.... their grins look fake almost....the only exceptions i can think of are harley quinn (sorry nessex, different skin color, what could they do?) and i guess smiley spiderman(the original, not movie)... luke cage's "tuque" was just laziness ;) .....ive already taken efforts to get more classic masks into my collection.... i carefully cut away the flesh from batwomans mask and painted the edges... shes beautiful..... i hardly even liked her before.... havent picked my next victim yet.....vall in all i hope marvel sticks with the sculpted masks over the full faces....

as for the consistency of the lines.... karamazov has this on lock down... over something like 5 years...? im friggen stoked we HAVE improvements... minimates wouldnt have flourished if they didnt improve the detail/quality of the common mate... dc was at the right place at the right time... so to speak...

thanks for listening B)

Yeah - i know what you mean about Harely. In my ideal mini-world, she'd have come with a white head, a flesh coloured head, the cut-out mask & a blonde hair-piece. But i understand that they need to keep costs down, which is why we got what we got.

Come to think of it, has ANY minimate ever come packed with an actual alternate head (not just a full-faced mask) before? Zombie Wasp and the Gorilla Grodd skull can't count since they're not really alternate heads but accessories.

Come to think of it, has ANY minimate ever come packed with an actual alternate head (not just a full-faced mask) before? Zombie Wasp and the Gorilla Grodd skull can't count since they're not really alternate heads but accessories.

The newest Invaders set coming out with the four extra Skrull heads...

...but of course, those don't count. Can't you flip (let's use Beast as an example from that pack) Beast's head around and it'll reveal a Skrull head?

Oh I can't wait until that set comes out... hello Skrull army!

I just wish they sold seperate Skrull heads somewhere... or if that set came with more than four Skrull heads.

...but of course, those don't count. Can't you flip (let's use Beast as an example from that pack) Beast's head around and it'll reveal a Skrull head?

I just wish they sold seperate Skrull heads somewhere... or if that set came with more than four Skrull heads.

You mean the Secret Invasion set.

And yeah, those four Skrull heads don't count since they're not intended for the mates in the boxset (their faces are indeed reversible as you've explained with Beast) but are meant to be interchanged with older mates to recreate their "Skrull versions" in the comic.

I think there are some board members here who intend to sell/trade their extra Skrull heads (them being more interested in 1st comic appearance Beast/Wolverine/Phoenix than the whole Skrull aspect of it all). You could always ask one of them for theirs once the SI boxset comes out.

Edited by NorthRaider

You mean the Secret Invasion set.

And yeah, those four Skrull heads don't count since they're not intended for the mates in the boxset (their faces are indeed reversible as you've explained with Beast) but are meant to be interchanged with older mates to recreate their "Skrull versions" in the comic.

I think there are some board members here who intend to sell/trade their extra Skrull heads (them being more interested in 1st comic appearance Beast/Wolverine/Phoenix than the whole Skrull aspect of it all). You could always ask one of them for theirs once the SI boxset comes out.

Like me. ;) Although i'd choose Jewel over Wolvie any day. Purple hair > Guy with metal skeleton

I just hate how they choose possibly the owrst box set to give us perfect characters. Don't take that as i think Secret Invasion and the set are bad, though. I mean, look:

We get (as far as we've seen) perfect versions of Phoenix, Wolvie (FINALLY!! ;) ), and Beast, and they're gonna end up with a green face on the backs of their heads. That's just wrong...:(

And i'll be using my 12 Skrull heads (i plan on buying three sets...;) ), like evryone else, for random under-cover Skrull agents. Like Spider-Woman. Or a Barack Obama custom.

Come on. "The CHANGE We Need??" "Embrace CHANGE??" Sounds similar, don't it?? ;)

Really? I just got my first mates with the big feet and I quite like them!

i guess to each their own. it's slowly growing on me though...

Really? I just got my first mates with the big feet and I quite like them!

i guess to each their own. it's slowly growing on me though...

I don't so much mind the "duck feet" (just the execution of said feet needs a bit of tweaking), but I wish that they'd go the distance and give us some "Hulk hands" to balance-out the aesthetics.

I rather like scale differences (when appropriate), but honestly felt that most of DC's could have been utilized better. Bane and Killer Croc come to mind; I would have been happier with them with simply Marvel's solution to height-extension (2.5" was wayyy too big for them IMHO) with special feet, crotch and chest-pieces. Where 2.5" would have shined, would have been in the case of Darkseid, Giganta, etc.; characters with an undeniable size difference. But this is neither here-nor-there at this point. :(

Two come to mind. The first Back To The Future Box Set came with an extra Doc Brown head for the mind reading device. And initially Venom only came with the single head, some later sets came with an extra head with an extended tongue.

***MMDB pimping done for the day.*** :D

Two come to mind. The first Back To The Future Box Set came with an extra Doc Brown head for the mind reading device. And initially Venom only came with the single head, some later sets came with an extra head with an extended tongue.

***MMDB pimping done for the day.*** :D

Now that i think about it - I don't actually have any MiniMates that came with alternate heads. I think i'm fantasizing that MiniMates might take a page from Marvel Legends and bring out MiniMates with alternate heads where appropriate (Such as the ML Deadpool, Weapon X, Forge etc. . .)

That'd make Deadpool PERFECT in my opinion: Alternate heads rather than the slip-on masks.

Still - Series 26 is pretty much my Dream Line-up (Psylocke, Sabretooth x 2, Gambit AND Deadpool with scabby face AS WELL as 2 (TWO) masks) - so i guess i should count my blessings & quit nitpicking.