UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

One thing DC Mates had over Marvel...

hyejinx1984

They came in when the forumla was perfected. Looking back on the defunct line, ya there were some repeat characters (Superman, Batman) but they were all kind of... consistant, of the same quality, just different versions. After so many waves of marvel, AA had worked out the kinks and learned what it was to make a really cool set of Minimates and DC reaped the benefits. I bring this up, because when I put all my marvel mates together... there's a drop off. I have a bunch of different hulks, but they aren't all equal, all consistant... wave 1 hulk and the latest hulk look totally different, and I don't just mean different like "version" because that would be okay, and encouraged, but just different like it's a totally different product. When I put all my DC mates together, there's a consistancy to them, they all look like they "match" in quality and style... the marvel ones, there's a definate growth period, and not as much of a consistancy to them. Just a little rant.

I think this is largely true, but you have to keep in mind that: 1) DC benefited from AA's experience with Marvel, and 2) All the DC Minimates came out in a span of, what, a year and a half or less? If you look at any given Marvel Minimates in that time period, you will probably also see a high level of uniformity as well. I can't fault AA for having Marvel for several years, and for learning from the process. Frankly, I'm glad Hulk is no longer the same size as Spidey.

I think they are kind of doing this. Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, and Wolverine have either already been redone in the last year, or are going to be redone again very soon, to match up with current styles/standards. Is there a specific character you want redone? I can't see them redoing Chameleon or Elektra, but who knows?

Edited by karamazov80

The last Daredevil we got was in a Target exclusive wave (I never cunt the Zombies) and was a simple repaint. If anyone deserves a remake it's Daredevil. Hell, they could throw in Lady Bullseye if they wanted to.

Does he need new sculpting somehow?

Also, "Lady Bullseye"? Brilliant Marvel, what will the "house of ideas" roll out next? :rolleyes:

Does Daredevil really need a new sculpt? Belt/Billy clubs are alright so far... the only thing I can think of adding to the target exclusive (which thus far is the difinitive Daredevil) would be making the mask have the exposed part of the face right on it, ala new cap/giant-man/every DC minimate with a mask...

The last Daredevil we got was in a Target exclusive wave (I never bunny the Zombies) and was a simple repaint. If anyone deserves a remake it's Daredevil. Hell, they could throw in Lady Bullseye if they wanted to.

That is a spelling mistake :lol:

That is one HELL of a spelling mistake! :biggrin:

Edited by Deadpool

The last Daredevil we got was in a Target exclusive wave (I never cunt the Zombies) and was a simple repaint. If anyone deserves a remake it's Daredevil. Hell, they could throw in Lady Bullseye if they wanted to.

Does he need new sculpting somehow?

Also, "Lady Bullseye"? Brilliant Marvel, what will the "house of ideas" roll out next? :rolleyes:

Did Spider-Man need new sculpting? Did Wolverine? Did Hulk need so many re-does? No, but we still got them All I'm saying is that if they start to remake Minimates for the latecomers, Daredevil should be one of them as he was one of the first.

And my definitive Daredevil is Wave One's costume and Target's face. It looks comic-book cool without being too dark and aso looks sufficiently pissed off.

That is a spelling mistake :lol:

That is one HELL of a spelling mistake! :biggrin:

Whoops. Well, no point in changing it, it's immortalized in your posts and there's no way you guys will change it. I know you too well to hope that. Especially you, BHM.

Funny I like the way the masks fit over the minimate head and showed the face instead of having the mask cover it completely and have the face drawn on the mask.

If it's one thing I can think of that DC had over Marvel is the size. Up to scale the bigger characters were 2.5" like Killer Croc, Bane, etc. Hulk, Apocolypse, Venom should have been that size too but we all know how that went.

If it's one thing I can think of that DC had over Marvel is the size. Up to scale the bigger characters were 2.5" like Killer Croc, Bane, etc. Hulk, Apocolypse, Venom should have been that size too but we all know how that went.

oh no please do not bring this up again!!

1 marvel can NEVER make characters bigger than 2in

2 some people don't like the size differences

i just re-read the post.

I did not mean to be so mean. I am just a little up set about the DC mates. i opened the question/ batwomen two pack. I dont know if they were lack luster mates or i am just pissed at 52. but man i did not like those mates and am now taking it out on all dc mates and poor grimlock king (sorry).

i just re-read the post.

I did not mean to be so mean. I am just a little up set about the DC mates. i opened the question/ batwomen two pack. I dont know if they were lack luster mates or i am just pissed at 52. but man i did not like those mates and am now taking it out on all dc mates and poor grimlock king (sorry).

LOL. it's alright man. everyone's entitled to their opinion. I know marvel couldn't get those rights and so they "found" ways to make certain characters "bigger".

i just re-read the post.

LOL. it's alright man. everyone's entitled to their opinion. I know marvel couldn't get those rights and so they "found" ways to make certain characters "bigger".

Like how Apocolypse has larger feet, making him bigger. :D

i just re-read the post.

No 52-love?? :( Not that i particularly liked 52, but that 2-pack was okay. I use Batwoman's face for a lot of quickies, and the designs themselves were okay. Of course, they could have given us a MALE Question, or at least have been more creative then putting a head on backwards...

@Shup Dude: I think he was refering to the ghastly duck-feet that Hulk and Abom. use...man are they UGLY!! :(

Funny I like the way the masks fit over the minimate head and showed the face instead of having the mask cover it completely and have the face drawn on the mask.

yes . . . yes . . . YES!

(i'll have what she's having)

I wholeheartedly agree . I much prefer the masks that are sculpted to expose the eyes & mouth underneath, to the masks that cover the whole head & have the facial features painted onto them. I didn't buy the Harley Quinn 'mate for that exact reason.

While ranting about masks, I'm also not a huge fan of the slip-on masks that go over the head of the MiniMate. EG: the Venom mask or Cosmic Spiderman mask from wave 24. I'm sure it's done mainly to save money, but i would much prefer interchangeable heads. I likes my consistancy in my mates. Don't get me wrong - the slip-on masks don't look too bad on their own, but when you sit a minimate with the slip-on mask next to MiniMates who have the traditional shaped heads (with masks painted onto the head), they look a little bigger & the rim around the top of the head isn't as sharp.

I know it's a little detail to quibble over, but aren't MiniMates all about the little details?

i just re-read the post.

No 52-love?? :( Not that i particularly liked 52, but that 2-pack was okay. I use Batwoman's face for a lot of quickies, and the designs themselves were okay. Of course, they could have given us a MALE Question, or at least have been more creative then putting a head on backwards...

Hey, I kinda liked the Batwoman/Question pack... :(

I actually lol'd at DST's "solution" to The Question's faceless mask. I find it hilarious that you can do this to pretty much almost any Minimate without a full-face mask, thus producing an army of creepy, tiny, faceless people... :devil:

Personally I also prefer the uniform 2" size for most Minimates, though you can't deny the scale issues when it comes to characters like Hulk and Giant Man.

Edited by NorthRaider

@Shup Dude: I think he was refering to the ghastly duck-feet that Hulk and Abom. use...man are they UGLY!! :(

yes those duck feet annoy me ...

yes those duck feet annoy me ...

Really? I just got my first mates with the big feet and I quite like them!