UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

World War Z: the Movie

karamazov80

I guess it is being made, figure with all the zombie fans here, this would generate some interest. . .

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39103

Obviously, Romero is the source of all of this, and he did it making some of the greatest horror flicks of all time. So when anyone tries to make a zombie movie, there is an incredibly high standard to live up to, and zombie flicks usually miss the mark. But, the source material here is quite good, and Diary of the Dead was an abomination, so I'm all about hoping for another good zombie flick. Hope this works out OK.

I bought the book way back when it was first released and pretty muchread it in one sitting, not something I do with books that often.

I was looking forwardto this being a movie BUT having seen the new bond movie I'm dissapointed to hear the director for this is Marc Forster. I hated the way he made that movie spoiling huge chunks with overzealous cutting that left me and several people I've talked to clueless about what actually happened during a couple of scenes.

T.

I hated the way he made that movie spoiling huge chunks with overzealous cutting that left me and several people I've talked to clueless about what actually happened during a couple of scenes.

That kind of editing might work with zombie attacks, though, helping to communicate the the anarchy that one might expect if such a thing ever actually happened. The "28 Days" films had some shaky camera work here and there (mostly in the first one, I think), but it worked toward promoting the idea that things are chaotic and unpredictable.

Though a bit off topic, I just read my favorite film reviewer's take on Quantum (also on the AICN), and his only criticism seemed to mirror TBT!'s. I'm still going to see it if I can get away for a couple hours, though.

While I always reserve an air of skepticism when it comes to book-film adaptations, I personally CANNOT WAIT for this movie to come out. World War Z has got to be one of my most favorite books ever, and I think that the source material is so promisingly nuanced and complex that it'd probably take an utter bonehead to mess it up on film. (If somehow Uwe Boll wound up attached to this project I will scream.)

If I remember correctly there had been been a bidding war between the film companies of Brad Pitt and Leo Di Caprio over who gets the film rights to World War Z. Also the audiobook version featured quite a remarkable voice cast (including Rob Reiner and Mark frikkin' Hamill). I find it wonderfully astounding, the variety of people who are drawn to the material. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on future casting choices for this film, especially with regards to major characters like Paul Redeker, Todd Wainio and possibly the narrator (Max Brooks?) himself.

Edited by NorthRaider

I finished reading the book a few days ago, and I must say it was a bit of a let down. I felt like "Go on then, drop the other shoe" but it never did.

If they did this like a full out Ken Burns documentary, I'd be excited. If it's a movie, serious and hardcore pass.

I wonder how this will stack up against Last Blood?

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• 2 months later...
i stopped reading the book like 4 months ago to read i am legend...so im so confused im on the interview with the guy in africa that was attacked

Yeah Yonkers was after that I think. It was the first major anti-zombie US resistence. And if you can't tell from that pic, we got our asses handed to us.

Yes it's a necro but it's for a good cause:

Concept Art

Pure Epicness. I want to see it even more now.

Thanks Trekker!!!

Hmm... odd. That scene looks like a cross between Spielberg's War of the Worlds and 30 Days of Night. I hope to God this movie turns out awesomely... I loved the book so I really hope Marc Forester does justice to the source material.

# World War Z (2010) (announced)

# Quantum of Solace (2008)

# The Kite Runner (2007)

# Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

# Stay (2005/I)

# Finding Neverland (2004)

# Monster's Ball (2001)

# Everything Put Together (2000)

# Loungers (1995)

Eh... I'm giving it a 50/50 chance. This could rock or suck. It could go either way at this point.

• 3 months later...
I just finished reading the book its very topical and well done

If you like the book listen to the audio book.

oooo where would one find said audiobook....that could be fun

Jeff of the Miniacs

I would sooo order the extra creepy version with the HI-DEF zombie sounds

I just finished reading the book its very topical and well done

If you like the book listen to the audio book.

oooo where would one find said audiobook....that could be fun

Jeff of the Miniacs

I would sooo order the extra creepy version with the HI-DEF zombie sounds

that would be interestingly gruesome! oh and they have the audiobook at the B&N by my house

• 3 months later...

Thread necro

J. Michael Straczynski is out, Matthew Michael Carnahan is in.

All I can say is that The Kingdom was okay, nice and nuanced depiction of Middle-Eastern conflict. Now I am thoroughly convinced they're trying to pull WWZ into high art with this film. (Emphasis on "trying.")

Damn, is it obvious I'm not taking my college thesis seriously enough?

• 5 months later...

This is a double necro, but it's kind of interesting. I was talking with a friend about how Hollywood has no concept of documentries. I mentioned my love for Ken Burns' work and other programs like the American Experience. We got to talking about World War Z, and I said I hope they go true to form and make an honest documentry. A cross between The War and District 9 would be perfect in my opinion. I don't want just a zombie movie. I want the HISTORY of zombies in a movie. :)

Then I remembered these.

These would be so perfect for WWZ.

And on an entirely unrelated not, and as an apology for digging up this thread, here's the AD trailer which looks stunning.

YouTube is blocked at school right now, but I'd have to say that the chances of us seeing a documentary-style World War Z movie real soon may have increased exponentially, what with District 9 and The Hurt Locker making big waves in Hollywood right now.

And technically speaking TM2, World War Z isn't a history of zombies per se, it's a history of the survivors who escaped them. ;)

P.S. I am this close to wrapping up my undergraduate thesis (END, DAMMIT! EEEEEEEEEEEEND!!!), and in the appendix I included a set of tables for the different characters interviewed in the book. It's pretty interesting seeing them all listed in one place, particularly the powerful military presence in the story.

• 2 years later...