UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ADDICTION

Hey guys, I'm in junior high and I have... "THE ADDICTION" to Minimates... I have lots of them already, but my parents are saying that I'm getting too much of them and losing money.

Any bright ideas that could help my problem?

Thanks lots - Cap Mini ;)

Coincidentally, my own minimate addiction has reached quite irrational levels as well. I'd recommend some kind of solution if I could, except the only one I can think of is to move someplace where minimates are harder to find. And we all know full well that even THAT probably won't deter one with THE ADDICTION, what with those darned Interwebs and all.

My only other not-so-bright idea is to come up with some megahit minimate webcomic and somehow earn revenue online from high readership. At least THAT would justify the necessity of a vast minimate hoarde: "I'm not buying toys, Mom... I'm prepping for the second season!" :lol:

Coincidentally, my own minimate addiction has reached quite irrational levels as well. I'd recommend some kind of solution if I could, except the only one I can think of is to move someplace where minimates are harder to find. And we all know full well that even THAT probably won't deter one with THE ADDICTION, what with those darned Interwebs and all.

My only other not-so-bright idea is to come up with some megahit minimate webcomic and somehow earn revenue online from high readership. At least THAT would justify the necessity of a vast minimate hoarde: "I'm not buying toys, Mom... I'm prepping for the second season!" :lol:

North Georgia.

Problem solved :(

Seriously, I can never find them here.

Hey guys, I'm in junior high and I have... "THE ADDICTION" to Minimates... I have lots of them already, but my parents are saying that I'm getting too much of them and losing money.

Any bright ideas that could help my problem?

Thanks lots - Cap Mini ;)

Next time they say it tell them "Would they rather you spent the money or alcohol or drugs?" :biggrin:

T.

Honestly, if I could go back in time and meet my 11-12 year old self, I would probably smack him and tell him not to spend all of his allowance money on comic books. Collecting is for adults. Kids should not buy toys. Your parents are right.

Wouldnt that create a paradox as your younger self wouldnt like comics and superheroes so future you wouldnt either meaning you wouldnt be posting about going back and smacking your younger self.

My current self would never exist, so yes, I could never do such a thing. Further, you would never post your response to my post, meaning that your life would forever be altered as well, as would that of everyone potentially reading your post, and anyone using the internet, and anyone living now or in the future. Countries would die, mutants would be born, down would be up. Ultimately, the universe would explode and all life would cease as reality would be unable to cope with the contradictions at play. However, it would be worth it.

My addiction is slowing going away since I'm only collecting Marvel now. Since DC is gone I haven't really kept track of them as much. I was getting any and everything minimate but now I'm just doing the comic stuff.
True, this is also happening to me. I am only collecting the Marvel stuff. Although I just don't have enough of the civilian clothed mates.

I already AM in a place like this... Hong Kong. 2 comic shops. ONLY. Although because of me, they're starting to get it every time something new comes out. I guess I was their first mini-addict! :D

My only other not-so-bright idea is to come up with some megahit minimate webcomic and somehow earn revenue online from high readership. At least THAT would justify the necessity of a vast minimate hoarde: "I'm not buying toys, Mom... I'm prepping for the second season!" :D
Actually, I kinda did do a few of these... Kinda dramatic though. I also did it on Mac-only program: Comic Life. So I'm not sure if some of you could view it... :( Edited by Captain Minimate

I only buy the Minimates that I really want to display on my desk, and it's restricted to a small playmat (the kind for trading card games). I do this for all of my toys and it's pretty easy to manage. If I need to make some space I just get rid of something or put some of the Minimates up for trade in the Trade It Forward thread XD

I used to buy them over the internet since I can't find them in stores anymore(Suncoast doesn't have them anymore). My Sister got tired of me using her paypal, so now I can only order stuff for holidays. D:

If you want to get new stuff do what I do, trade. Trading mates is much easier than buying them, since it doesn't require eBay or a paypal. You can get the figures you want without having to go out an buy them(In the stores or over the treacherous interwebs), and trading is damn fun. :D Minimate Multiverse is also pretty organized, so it should be easy.

If that doesn't work, do what Dio said and go to Trade it forward.

Edited by McDurg

I already AM in a place like this... Hong Kong. 2 comic shops. ONLY.

North Georgia.

Problem solved :(

Seriously, I can never find them here.

Metro Manila. Overpriced eBay and 3 comic shops. All selling nothing but Spiderman 3. :pinch:

If you want to get new stuff do what I do, trade. Trading mates is much easier than buying them, since it doesn't require eBay or a paypal. You can get the figures you want without having to go out an buy them(In the stores or over the treacherous interwebs), and trading is damn fun. :D Minimate Multiverse is also pretty organized, so it should be easy.

If that doesn't work, do what Dio said and go to Trade it forward.

See, this was one of the reasons I wanted to join the Multiverse in the first place: the possibility of transacting with other collectors who would have access to the kind of Minimates we can't get locally (like Chef Duff or the promo blanks). My biggest setbacks regarding this though had been:

a. Who on this board would be willing/crazy enough to trade with and ship all the way to the Philippines? (Then again we have had successful transactions with members from the UK and Germany here, so there's always the possibility. Show of hands, who here would be actually be willing to ship to the Philippines?)

b. How in the world would paying internationally work? (Then again I could always sgn up for Paypal... all I need now is some sucker with a credit card.)

c. Other than Paypal money, what else could I possibly trade with? Like I mentioned earlier MInimates are like Hell to find here, so I might not have anything anybody would particularly want like a Black Spidey or an X3 variant Jean. Of course, if anybody here would be willing to trade for mini diecast pedicabs or dried mangoes or bootleg DVDs of Manny Pacquiao's fights or some other weird/rare Philippine product instead... :lol:

Edited by NorthRaider

Actually, where I live has more Kubricks... although because of this review here: http://minimateheadquarters.com/blog/2006/...vs-minimates-2/ ..... I don't really want to get the stuff :(

c. Other than Paypal money, what else could I possibly trade with? Like I mentioned earlier MInimates are like Hell to find here, so I might not have anything anybody would particularly want like a Black Spidey or an X3 variant Jean. Of course, if anybody here would be willing to trade for mini diecast pedicabs or dried mangoes or bootleg DVDs of Manny Pacquiao's fights or some other weird/rare Philippine product instead...
I simply LOOOOOOOVE DRIED MANGOES!!! :D I love Mango's fresh, or dry, or in some wacky Chinese dessert, I love them.

a. Who on this board would be willing/crazy enough to trade with and ship all the way to the Philippines? (Then again we have had successful transactions with members from the UK and Germany here, so there's always the possibility. Show of hands, who here would be actually be willing to ship to the Philippines?)

I ship internationally all the time. I have never shipped to the Philippines, but if you are just sending a couple of ounces worth of Minimates there from the U.S., it wouldn't cost more than a few dollars.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode...e&CID=10355

b. How in the world would paying internationally work? (Then again I could always sgn up for Paypal... all I need now is some sucker with a credit card.)

Paypal works brilliantly! You just have to take into account that there are fees (about 5% of any money sent goes to Paypal--I expect this to increase soon).

Actually, where I live has more Kubricks... although because of this review here: http://minimateheadquarters.com/blog/2006/...vs-minimates-2/ ..... I don't really want to get the stuff :(

If you look through the trade thread, there are a few members (myself included) who will be more than happy to trade for Kubricks. If you can get a hold of the Batman Begins 3 pack, for instance, then I would say that you could get some really nice Minimate-related stuff in return. . .

I've shipped a few things to the Philippines a couple of times.

The only real problem I had was that it took FOREVER to get there!!!

I mean seriously......2 months for the person to receive a Christmas card!

March rolled around and I got a thank you email for the card I sent.....lol

So other than the time delays I personally had....there was no problem :)

I've shipped a few things to the Philippines a couple of times.

The only real problem I had was that it took FOREVER to get there!!!

I mean seriously......2 months for the person to receive a Christmas card!

March rolled around and I got a thank you email for the card I sent.....lol

So other than the time delays I personally had....there was no problem :)

Crap, I know! The whole shipping thing was also what made me hesitant to order stuff online. And that's not even mentioning all those Customs horror stories I hear so much of...

Since Christmas is fast approaching, perhaps I'll just start experimenting with MMMV trade next year... once I finally get my hands on some Paypal monies.

EDIT: Just tried checking the shipping rates to the Philippines using the USPS calculator karamazov80 posted, and I can henestly say that international rates are (wait for it) bloody murder. Apparently my best bet at trading now is to either hope and pray that the stuff on my wants list magically appear in one Trade It Forward offer (but then I'd have to produce an offer of my own)... or to get a job. But then again I used a "base weight" of 5 pounds in computing the estimates, and I figure 5 pounds might be a bit of an overstatement depending on how many minimates I hope to procure abroad.

Uh... does anybody here know the average weight of a Minimate two-pack?

Edited by NorthRaider

Honestly, if I could go back in time and meet my 11-12 year old self, I would probably smack him and tell him not to spend all of his allowance money on comic books. Collecting is for adults. Kids should not buy toys. Your parents are right.

Some ol' guy came up to me yesterday & smacked me ,claiming he was me :lol: "Don't spend it all on comic books & toys " he yelled. I'm only 12 but I knew what to do :yes: "Paedophile .....pervert....help" I cried ,kicking him straight in the nuts.

He's been arrested & I've got his laptop,his car & all these bloody "Lego Men".........is the little black one worth anything?

Yeah, I'm spending a lot of money on MiniMates lately, and my mom said she doesn't care as long as I don't leave 'em in a box somewhere and forget about them. She honestly doesn't care what I get as long as that doesn't happen to it...

But yeah, after Christmas I'm gonna have enough Minimates (I shouldn't need anymore...) and I probably will just buy some after Christmas every once in a while. What I do if I'm addicted to something, I just try and leave it (or them) alone for several days, then I'll end up forgetting about it. But it only works for me if I, for example, want to quit buying Minimates, I'll put all mine in a box, store it away. Then a week later, I'll forget. (Delete anything on the computer that relates, like, I used to LOVE Legos, now I never buy any or anything because I stored all mine away and deleted my bookmarked Lego pages. I still have to admit, Legos are cool.

Oh yeah, and can Minimates C3 feet fit on Lego pieces? I could make great Minimate things with my Legos if these does work.

Yeah, I'm spending a lot of money on MiniMates lately, and my mom said she doesn't care as long as I don't leave 'em in a box somewhere and forget about them. She honestly doesn't care what I get as long as that doesn't happen to it...

But yeah, after Christmas I'm gonna have enough Minimates (I shouldn't need anymore...) and I probably will just buy some after Christmas every once in a while. What I do if I'm addicted to something, I just try and leave it (or them) alone for several days, then I'll end up forgetting about it. But it only works for me if I, for example, want to quit buying Minimates, I'll put all mine in a box, store it away. Then a week later, I'll forget. (Delete anything on the computer that relates, like, I used to LOVE Legos, now I never buy any or anything because I stored all mine away and deleted my bookmarked Lego pages. I still have to admit, Legos are cool.

Oh yeah, and can Minimates C3 feet fit on Lego pieces? I could make great Minimate things with my Legos if these does work.

Awww.... What a sad story :( . I'd be so sad if I ever forgot about MY Minimates...