UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Clear Sticker Paper?

Hey All,

A question to those who've been customizing for longer than me... is there nay kind of 'clear' sticker paper? I guess it would be like a thin sheet of plastic with adhessive on the other side, like scotch tape in a way, that you could print designs/patterns on? The reason I'm asking is because I'd rather just print a design on a clear sticky 'paper' and place that over a black minimate body, then bring a whole black chest piece. Also it would make facial designs easier cause then I would just be able to put eyes/mouthes/brows etc without having to paint or do a whole wrap around thing on the head.

I know diddly about customising but I am quite conversant with the Graphic Arts having spent the best(?) part of my life in the Printing Industry. The material you are enquiring about exists & will happily find it's way through your printer. The problems lie in the 'colors' that your 'printer' delivers which are transparent & generally limited to Red,Yellow,Blue & Black. I stress the word 'generally' because there are perhaps upper-end printers, these days, that do.

The colors are transparent & therefore depend on a white-coloured surface to apply to ,to show the colors. Printing onto a black surface will 'kill' the colors. I'm sure most of you now realise why most T-shirts that use 'heat-press' technology & clear transfer-paper are indeed.... white.

Hope that helped.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Please wait & consider what other members may have to offer in the form of advice because my disclaimer was that I know nought about customising procedures. One way overcoming the transparentt-color on black problem is to 'lay' a base of opaque 'white' first onto the black body in the exact position(s) where the transparent colors will 'lie' upon . easy to say but quite tricky to perform on a Minimate.

Earlier in the year, I had a brief interest in trying to do something similar to what you are suggesting, and found this clear, sticker-like paper (decal paper) at the local Office Depot. It costed over 10 bucks for, I think, 10-15 sheets. So, it is pricey, but if you fill up all the space, one sheet should give you enough decals to use on multiple Minimates. There are forms of "decal paper" made for toner printers, and some made for laser printers.

However, I never used this, and don't know how well it works. I suspect that you will run into issues with getting full colors following from BHM's post. Note also that there are templates around this website of basic minimate faces, muscled bodies, etc. that you can print out on your decal paper.