UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Luke314pi's Customs (New customs October 5th)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are those the newer vinyl stickers you mentioned that you are using for their faces?

Yes, that is correct. They have been sprayed with dull coat to reduce their glossiness, but you can still see the difference between these and waterslide decals. I suppose I shouldn't refer to them as "decals" in the descriptions anymore. Maybe "polyester film tampos"?

• 1 month later...

4 old school Marvel customs!

Thundra

thundra.jpg

Whizzer

whizzer.jpg

Korvac

korvac.jpg

The Collector

collector.jpg

They all decals for the face and chest on polyester film (sticker) paper. Any other details are hand painted. I will be adding these decals to the Factory in a future update. :)

Great customs Luke, although - The Collector looks a little off . . . post-2737-1281357185_thumb.jpg

:P

Out of curiosity - how hard is it to colour-match between your paint-jobs and your decals/vinyl stickers? These customs all look flawless. is there much difference in colour/shade between the wet & dry paint?

Out of curiosity - how hard is it to colour-match between your paint-jobs and your decals/vinyl stickers? These customs all look flawless. is there much difference in colour/shade between the wet & dry paint?

It was harder when I used to use Model Masters paints, as they dried somewhat darker than their wet color. Also I don't think they used the highest quality pigments, as when I would mix red and blue, I would get a purple that looked slightly brownish.

Now I only use Citadel paints. Their dry color matches their wet color, and they mix very nicely. I still have to slightly desaturate my decal colors in Illustrator, because paint can never match the neon vibrancy of the computer screen, but once I do that, I can get a pretty good match. I almost never use paint directly from the jar onto the figure. It always needs to be mixed with a tiny bit of black, white, or another color. I have an intense LED desk lamp that I use when customizing, and it shows the difference in colors much better than an ordinary light, and the camera can definitely pick up those subtle differences when taking pictures.

Loving the Thundra.

Korvac. I too have never heard of him so had to google. Thought I had never heard of The Collector but reading i saw that he was the one that put the Offenders together.

Whizzer I love golden age heroes so this is right up my street.

Thanks for the tips Luke :)

I'm thinking about dabbling in Customs a little and have just received my tax return - so i might head out and buy myself some paints :)

Can i ask another question; how do you get the coverage so even on your figures? Is it possible to start with a completely different coloured base? EG: Is the Whizzer made from a yellow base-mate or another colour entirely? Could i, for instance, paint a black Minimate white?

So do you prefer Sticker Paper to Decal?

It is really starting to grow on me. I think the paper makes colors more vibrant, and it is quicker to apply since you don't have to soak it in water first. The two drawbacks are the glossy finish, and not being able to reposition the sticker once you apply it - you have to do it perfectly the first time. The glossy finish can be fixed with some clear dull or matte finish spray paint, so that problem is fixed. I have screwed up a few stickers by positioning them wrong the first time, but I always print 4 of each sticker just in case. So from now on I think I will be using the polyester film, unless I need to use clear decal paper, which doesn't happen very often.

Can i ask another question; how do you get the coverage so even on your figures? Is it possible to start with a completely different coloured base? EG: Is the Whizzer made from a yellow base-mate or another colour entirely? Could i, for instance, paint a black Minimate white?

I try to match the color of the base figures to the color of the finished minimate as best as I can before painting. If there are black tampo decals on the existing minimate, I remove them first with some Goof-Off. If I am going to be painting a dark minimate a lighter color, I will always prime it first with one or two coats of thin white paint. I also use acrylic paint thinner to water down all my paints slightly. It takes more coats this way, but the coats are smoother. It is also important to use a brush with soft bristles, as brushes with hard plastic bristles will leave brush strokes in the paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Luke, another question from me about customs :P

RE: Decal Papaer - which do you prefer to use? Inkjet or Laser? I'm thinking about buying myself a printer and printing decals is something high on my priotity list. do you have a preferance?

Sorry Luke, another question from me about customs :P

RE: Decal Papaer - which do you prefer to use? Inkjet or Laser? I'm thinking about buying myself a printer and printing decals is something high on my priotity list. do you have a preferance?

You can get great results with either type of printer. The only inconvenience with the inkjet printers is that you have to spray the decals with clear coat after you print them, or else the ink will run.