UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Pictures

With a topic title like that, you are mighty brave to poke your head in here. Who knows what these pictures could be? They might not have anything to do with the acclaimed film. For all you know they could be emo-kid-art or images of mutant chihuahuas living in southern California.

Lucky for you it's just a boxed set of Minimates I picked up at my LCS today.

pack0462f.jpgpack0462i.jpg

Four guns. Two have the snake emblem on the handle, one doesn't, and one has an eyelet that you could feed a string through and wrap around Tuco. String sold separately.

The Man With No name aka Blondie

fig0606f.jpgfig0606b.jpg

(Left) (Right)

The thing that sets this Clint Eastwood-mate apart from the others is the 'holster' in the duster. It's a nice touch.

Tuco

fig0608f.jpgfig0608b.jpg

(Left) (Right)

Not much to say about Tuco. He also has the 'holster' on his jacket, a ring painted on his left hand and the unique gun.

Angel Eyes

fig0607f.jpgfig0607b.jpg

(Left) (Right)

Nice figure with an excellent likeness. Different enough from The Man In Black in the Few Dollars More set that you won't get them mixed up.

Showdown Blondie

fig0609f.jpgfig0609b.jpg

fig0609f2.jpg

(Left) (Right)

It feels like we've seen this fig before, although technically we haven't. The face is different from Showdown Monco but not by much. Apart from the long sleeves and lighter colored boots he's basically the same as Showdown Monco under the poncho. Speaking of the poncho, it is reused from The Man With No Name figure from the Fistful of Dollars set.

After the two previous excellent western sets, this one is a bit of a letdown for me. With only four small accessories and a duplicate figure it seems lacking. Don't get me wrong, it is a good set (especially for those who haven't picked up the previous two) with three great Minimates, but I think I set my hopes too high.

Even though these aren't that different from the previous sets, it has Tuco, and TGTBATU is one of the greatest westerns ever made, in my opinion (the best, by far, of the "Man with No Name" trilogy). So, I will definitely have to track this down at some point. Would have been nice if they could have substituted someone for the essentially reused Eastwood, though. For instance, the ill Union commander, Angel Eyes' thug assistant, Tuco's priest brother, or a horse.

it is a bit of a let down that angel eyes show is a re-use but on the other hand they kind of had to include him being as with out him you could not re-create that famous last show down. i mean really that wowoow wow wow wom. if ironman hadn't come out the same week i would be all over these. as it is i just bought them and have yet to open them. they are safely stored a other mates waiting for a rainy day.

Note: i live in a desert, so we get very little rain, which could explain why she hulk is still unopened and "waiting for a rainy day."

For instance, the ill Union commander, Angel Eyes' thug assistant, Tuco's priest brother, or a horse.

What about one of the greatest deaths of all time: The One-Armed Bounty Hunter. "If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Well looks like Ivan beat me to the punch for posting pics of TGTBATU. Well done sir, as your picture quality is always top notch.

Anyway, I thought I'd add 2 comparison pics.

First pic depicts Tuco's new boot design (on the right) compaired to the regular cowboy boot (on the left). It is a bit thicker and lacks a spur.

boots.jpg

Secondly here is a comparisson of all 3 pistols, including Tuco's complete with eye hole and missing sight.

guns.jpg

Personally, I'd have rather wish that DST chose to do Tuco from the beginning of the movie with his sombrero.

th_wallach.jpg

And I also wish if DST could do these 3 sets over again, that all the pistols would be slightly larger. They seem way to small even for minimates.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

And I also wish if DST could do these 3 sets over again, that all the pistols would be slightly larger. They seem way to small even for minimates.

I agree... well I dont have the cowboy sets BUT every gun since wave 9 Puniser seems a little too small.

I'm thinking of the 24 mates as typical examples...

Toy weapons if anything should err on the side of ''larger than life" not smaller :)

T.

I agree... well I dont have the cowboy sets BUT every gun since wave 9 Puniser seems a little too small.

I'm thinking of the 24 mates as typical examples...

Toy weapons if anything should err on the side of ''larger than life" not smaller :)

T.

really i think they are a good size. i have tried putting gijoe weapons in their hands and those are just absurdly big. I do agree the 24 guns are too small but i found that kubricks weapons work really well and are a pretty good scale.

Well looks like Ivan beat me to the punch for posting pics of TGTBATU. Well done sir, as your picture quality is always top notch.

Anyway, I thought I'd add 2 comparison pics.

First pic depicts Tuco's new boot design (on the right) compaired to the regular cowboy boot (on the left). It is a bit thicker and lacks a spur.

boots.jpg

Secondly here is a comparisson of all 3 pistols, including Tuco's complete with eye hole and missing sight.

guns.jpg

Personally, I'd have rather wish that DST chose to do Tuco from the beginning of the movie with his sombrero.

th_wallach.jpg

These look great, I can't wait to receive mine! On the topic of Tuco, It's too bad that this line (though selling well) doesn't have a big enough following to warrant a few 2-pack exclusives (like BttF,etc.) as I'd love to see a "Sombrero Tuco" and a "Desert-damaged Blondie" together as well as a few missing characters (and horses while I'm dreaming!) from the other two films. If I only had the clout to commision such a thing!

As far as the guns go, the size (though on the small side) does not bother me as much as the fact that the angle of 'mate hands tends to make all guns lean inwards and rifles nothing more than prop accessories. Oh well, despite the inevitable over-load of "Poncho-Joes" and lack of supporting characters (henchmen, etc.) I really love this line and wish we could get an extension of sorts.

so anyone going to use that duster and scarf to work on a 4th doctor custom???

4thdoc.jpg

I was just thinking the same thing about the scarf.

OOooo, I hadn't thought of that...me likey! Jelly-babies anyone? But this post makes me sad about the limbo-state of Who 'mates. :(

You also have the curly hair from the previous two sets.

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply Ivan :D I just tried DST and even registered only to discover this when I added the set to my cart:

International Shoppers' Note

We can only sell items to United States customers at this time. We are working towards providing our international customers with the ability to order directly from us. If your address is in a country other than the United States, we will let you know via email when we are able to accept non-US orders. Please contact us with any questions you might have.

dangit :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the fast and helpful reply Ivan :D I just tried DST and even registered only to discover this when I added the set to my cart:

International Shoppers' Note

We can only sell items to United States customers at this time. We are working towards providing our international customers with the ability to order directly from us. If your address is in a country other than the United States, we will let you know via email when we are able to accept non-US orders. Please contact us with any questions you might have.

dangit :blink:

They've been saying the same thing for at least the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

I understand why you British guys wouldn't wanna eat international shipping (now that it's in over there), but why not grab stuff like this off BBTS if you didn't want to wait? I know they've had the set in stock since it came in and they ship internationally.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I a bad person for ordering from BBTS?

Me I dont mind waiting as long as I get it at a realistic price. I've just run my latest batch of minimates an Mighty Muggs through BBTS to see if it would be any cheaper and with the shipping and exchange rates it would have cost me more to buy from BBTS and import them then to wait and get from a UK supplier.

Thats without running a risk of UK customs hitting me for tax if they felt like it.

I am pretty mercenary when it comes to buying Minimates & I will buy from whoever has the best deal at the time & the service they give. I have never heard a bad thing about LE & although I've never bought from them (they are about 30 miles from where I live) a lot of UKers happily buy from them. Buying from US retailers is OK until things go 'tits up' & you get clobbered by Customs for Import fees. You will eventually. The 2nd. scenario is when your delivery from the US is damaged,incorrect or incomplete.Try sending it back & you are in an expensive situation which is a no-win. Minimate fans have basically been left 'high & dry' in Europe by Diamond who use EU Certification-'bollocks' as their excuse. UK & EU Minimate fans are dependent on people like LE or run the gauntlet themseves & buy direct from a US source.

I have only one continuing criticism of LE & that is .......Variants?