UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Glantern's Customs

Glantern

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firefly. I see Jayne's hat.

D@mn you, dude!! I wanted to make the first Firefly 'Mates!! And you do such a good job, too!! Man.... :unsure:

Good catch. Knew the hat would give it away to someone

Sorry that I beat you to these, though I'd love to see what yours will look like, since there are so many possible looks for each character, I wonder what looks you would pick.

and your stuff is always good too.

now we know they're definately firefly mates... its pretty clear who a few of them are going to be. personally, i wouldn't have guessed it.

v.much looking forward to seeing these... get cranking!

Well, It's monday, so here it is

FIREFLY Week Day 1

JAYNE COBB:

Jayne is hired muscle. He is someone who can be depended on in a fight. He tends to act like a "lummox" who thinks he is the smartest person in space, but occasional hints of intelligence peek through this façade, giving the impression that he acts dumber than he is. Jayne is the man who will ask the questions that no one else wants to. Even though he is a macho character, he shows a particularly intense fear of Reavers, more so than the rest of the crew.

post-2133-1249317031_thumb.jpg

DR SIMON TAM:

Simon is a medical researcher and trauma surgeon of the first caliber (top 3% in his class at a top core-planet institution), who is on the run after breaking his sister River out of a government research facility. His bumbling attempts at a relationship with Kaylee are a recurring subplot throughout the series, and at every turn he seems to find a way to unwittingly foil his own romantic desires. His life is defined by caring for his sister

post-2133-1249317048_thumb.jpg

And that's it for today. Check back tomorrow(hopefully) for the next pair. Thanks for looking. Comments are always appreciated.

Sorry that I beat you to these, though I'd love to see what yours will look like, since there are so many possible looks for each character, I wonder what looks you would pick.

and your stuff is always good too.

Thanks... :blush:

They look great!! :thumbsup:

Can't wait for day two... :D

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Luke: I know, it ended up being a bit bulky for my liking, but as my first real foray into sculpting pieces from scratch, I think it turned out well overall

Onto today's customs

WASH:

Wash is Serenity's pilot and Zoe's husband. While more of Wash's past is disclosed than most other characters, his background is still sparse: he joined pilot training just to see the stars, which were invisible from the surface of his polluted homeworld, and he joined Serenity despite being highly sought after by other ships. He is very light-hearted and tends to make amusing comments, despite the severity of any situation. While not piloting or spending "quality" time with his wife, his favorite past time is playing with his toy dinasoars.

post-2133-1249414845_thumb.jpg

ZOEY:

Zoey is second-in-command onboard Serenity, a loyal wartime friend of Captain Reynolds, and the wife of Wash. Described by her husband as a "warrior woman", she has great knowledge of combat. Her past is a mystery; the only thing known is that she was born and raised on a ship and served under Mal during the war as a corporal. She demonstrates an almost unconditional loyalty to Mal, the only exception noted being her marriage to Wash, which the captain claims to have tried to prevent.

post-2133-1249414860_thumb.jpg

This particular set of characters is important to me as Wash was always my favorite character on the show, and Zoey was a close second.

That's all for today. Check Back tomorrow for the next pair. Thanks for looking. Comments are always appreciated.

To all who have been following FIREFLY Week, I regret to say that today's install ment will not be happening today. I do not know if I will post tomorrow either. This stems from the fact that I ran into some relationship problems with my (now ex)girlfriend. Needless to say, those problems did not end well, and I feel that I need some time to recover from the blow I've been dealt by all of this. I will try to complete and post the rest of my Firefly minimates when I am able to again. I apologize to those of you looking forward to the rest of the set.

To all who have been following FIREFLY Week, I regret to say that today's install ment will not be happening today. I do not know if I will post tomorrow either. This stems from the fact that I ran into some relationship problems with my (now ex)girlfriend. Needless to say, those problems did not end well, and I feel that I need some time to recover from the blow I've been dealt by all of this. I will try to complete and post the rest of my Firefly minimates when I am able to again. I apologize to those of you looking forward to the rest of the set.

that sucks, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, they really helped me. The situation has mostly sorted itself out, and though there are a few things that need tho be gotten through, I'm doing much better now.

After bit of a hiatus, I'm back with the rest of the Firefly set.

First off, Luke pointed out Zoey's lck of gun, I made one for her, but somehow it didn't make it into the picture. Oh well. Here she is, fully armed.

post-2133-1251147241_thumb.jpg

Now onto the rest of the crew and passangers on board the Serenity

SHEPHERD BOOK:

He is a Shepherd (equivalent to a pastor). Although presented as a devout Christian man, Book demonstrates a depth of knowledge about the activities of criminals and corrupt police. He is also proficient in hand-to-hand combat and the use of firearms. When questioned on his non-Biblical intentions during the rescue in "War Stories", Book replies somewhat ironically that while the Bible is quite specific about killing, it's "somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps." Book represents Mal's guide, conscience, and lost spirituality, while his hidden backstory was to have been gradually revealed, had the series continued.

post-2133-1251147213_thumb.jpg

CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS:

Mal is the owner of Serenity and former Independent sergeant in the pivotal Battle of Serenity Valley. Very little is known about the enigmatic Captain; the little he reveals about his past life betrays nothing of his character. Malcolm reveals that he grew up on a ranch, and was raised by his mother and the ranch hands. The only other scenes of his past life that are shown are about the Unification War, in which he and Zoe fought for the Independent Army, the "Browncoats", as a platoon sergeant in the 57th Overlanders. He is an efficient leader and is skilled with guns as well as in hand-to-hand combat. Mal's character is full of contradictions. He is constantly fighting his demons, and his true self remains something of a mystery.

post-2133-1251147224_thumb.jpg

INARA SERRA:

is a Companion, which is the 26th century equivalent of a courtesan or oiran. Like her Renaissance counterparts, Inara enjoys high social standing. Her presence confers a degree of legitimacy and social acceptance the crew of Serenity would not have without her on board. She and Mal have a strained relationship, with unspoken romantic tension playing a significant part in several episodes, as well as in the movie. Inara arguably represents Mal's heart, and Mal is a noticeably darker character when Inara is absent. She rents one of the ship's two small shuttles.

post-2133-1251147252_thumb.jpg

RIVER TAM:

River was smuggled onto the ship by her brother. River was a child prodigy of unparalleled genius, but she was experimented upon at the hands of Alliance doctors, leaving her delusional, erratic, and at times violent and giving her psycic abilities. River is constantly at war with her own demons. She sees and hears things that others do not, and experiences waking dreams of her memories of the Alliance "academy" experiments. Opinions of her vary among the crew: some value her, Jayne fears her, and the rest just want her to stay out of trouble.

post-2133-1251147261_thumb.jpg

TOO MUCH HAIR BOOK:

Originally I was plaanning on just maaking this a separate hair peice for the regualr Book, but the more I looked at references, the more I realized there were enough diferences to warant a whole nother figure.

post-2133-1251147274_thumb.jpg

AND MY 100th CUSTOM!

KAYLEE FRYE:

Kaylee is the ship's mechanic. She has no formal training, but keeps Serenity running with an intuitive gift for the workings of mechanical equipment. She has a crush on Dr. Simon Tam. Kaylee is the soul of the ship: according to creator Joss Whedon, if Kaylee believes something, it is true. I decided to mke Kaylee in her dress from "Shindig" because I like that episode so much. At some point I plan to make a normal version of her to go with the rest of the crew. I chose Kaylee to be my 100th custom because this is themost sculpting I have ever done on one piece before, and I believe that she turned out very well.

post-2133-1251147266_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1251147351_thumb.jpg

Overall, I think this set turned out well. This set represents not only the milestone of containing my 100th custom, but also is noteworthy because with the exception of Wash and Simon, all hair pieces were sculpted from scratch by me, and evreyone but Simon contained a sculpted element of some sort. I really had fun sculpting all the pieces for these, and look forward to doing more sculpting on some up coming projects. Tthanks to everyone for looking, hope that you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed working on them. Comments are, as always, greatly apreciated.

as always, i'm v.impressed with your customs... love them. it's a great program, and official mates would be fantastic

your kaylee put a smile on my face... i'd marry that woman, if she wasn't fictional and in space, somewhere

Congrats on the 100! While I've never seen (or really heard of) Firefly, your 'mates turned out great!

Thanks! And I can't recomend Firefly enough, I think it's one of Whedon's greatest achievments

Glad to hear everything is working itself out.

You have a knack for customizing licenses I would LOVE to see DST tackle. I really like your costume choice for Kaylee. Another fun set of 'mates.

I would love DST to takle this license too. Great to hear that we seem to have the same taste in things we'd like to see made as 'mates

as always, i'm v.impressed with your customs... love them. it's a great program, and official mates would be fantastic

your kaylee put a smile on my face... i'd marry that woman, if she wasn't fictional and in space, somewhere

Great to hear you like the Kaylee. She's a great character, and I think my custom turned out really well

Freaking rad, man!

(Glad you're okay. :thumbsup:)

thanks, on both fronts

Ok, small update today, just working on rounding out some sets I've made

ALIEN:

This guy's been in the works since before my Aliens Week stuff. He went through many stages of how I should handle making it. After working on sculping with my Firefly stuff, I finally decided the best course of action would be just sculpting the whole thing

post-2133-1251231464_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1251231470_thumb.jpg

SHRIEK:

He's been sitting on my workbench unfinished since january, but I finally sat down and made his helmet and gloves and now he's done

post-2133-1251231485_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1251231490_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, but I do have a few things in the works so keep an eye out. Thanks for looking, comments are always appreciated.

Very impressive sculpting!!!!

I've got a suggestion though ;)

Your finger prints are very noticeable on the sculpted parts on Shriek. I suggest either smoothing the clay out with something other than your hands before it dries, or file/sand it out after it hardens.

Other than that, both look awesome!

Hey guys! Back with a few customs today, though doubt I'll be doing any frequent updating for aa while, thanks to school starting back up.

Punisher: regaarding Shriek, after looking at him, I completely understand what you're saying, though it's much less noticable in person

Ok, onto today's stuff

AMAZO:

This guy is a favorite of mine, especially when he was redesigned for Justice League. And after rewatching some of his apearences, I decided to use one of the 2.5"ers I had laying around to make him. He was a pretty simple custom, taking only about 20 min to make.

post-2133-1251849626_thumb.jpg

PENNY & MOIST:

I finally decided to finish up my Penny that's been sitting around for a while. I had planned to make her a torso piece showing the

shrapnel from the final scene

, but I didn't finish it. However, since I had already designed the alternate face I put it on any way. Moist I decided to rework to better match his look in the show.

post-2133-1251849675_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1251849669_thumb.jpg

Well, that's all for today. Thanks for looking, comments are appreciated!

Edited by Glantern