UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Glantern's Customs

Glantern

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, nice stuff. I too really like the JLU Amazo redesign. You pulled it off nicely.

Moist has an excellent likeness. I would only say that he needs a soggy mail accessory or something.

Funny you should say that about Moist. My original Moist actually had soggy mail that I had made for him, but a friend of mine really wanted a set, so the original was given to her, and I never made the accessory for mine

So, I said I wouldn't be doing much updating now with school starting, but I had a few days off, so I threw together a small batch of customs. Four to be exact

THE FANTASTIC FOUR:

Well, somehow I missed out on getting a set of FF mates when they came out, and suprisingly they've yet to make another set, so I put together a set of my own. I chose to make the Byrne costumes because I figure if they make these costumes that they'll do the typical mainstream thing an make the costumes blue and white instead of BLACK and white which are the correct colors(as stated by Byrne himself) I think these turned out pretty well, and I especially like Ben and Johnny.

post-2133-1252441912_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that's all for today. Comments are appreciated, thanks for looking!

they are fantastic (oh dear)

i does seem about time we got a new F4, and if these got an official release, i'd snap 'em up straight away. I had no idea these guys ever wore black... when was this?

They wore black during John Byrne's run in the 80's. They tended to be highlited with blue, however Byrne has said that he always intended the costumes to be black, not blue like most people assume they were.

post-2133-1252610998_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1252611099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glantern

they are fantastic (oh dear)

i does seem about time we got a new F4, and if these got an official release, i'd snap 'em up straight away. I had no idea these guys ever wore black... when was this?

They wore black during John Byrne's run in the 80's. They tended to be highlited with blue, however Byrne has said that he always intended the costumes to be black, not blue like most people assume they were.

thanks, i think they look great in black. it is funny how some things are interpreted like that, black hair is/was often highlighted blue, but no one would think it was some fancy dye-job. incidentally, Batman was the same, he was never intented to be grey and blue, but grey and black... twas just the highlighting

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I finally have another update. And not a minimate one for a change, though I'm working on a few comissons that I hope to post soon. However, today is my first real venture into 1/6 scale customizing. My parents are planning to get me a Hot Toys Joker for Christmas this year, and they said they'd chip in halfway for a Hot Toys Two-Face(oh the irony!). I decided, if I'm getting the two of them, I might as well have the other villain from the film: Scarecrow. So, I got to work pulling out my various bins of 12 inch figures that I had packed away, in hopes of assembling a decent suit for him. Once I had one pieced together, I made his mask using the ever popular process of GRCAOTP(Gluing Random Crap All Over The Place). Once he was done, he seemed lonely on the shelf waiting for his mischievious partners in crime, so I kitbashed some hench men for him using some off-brand GIJoes. Not Hot Toys quality by any means, but I still think they all turned out pretty well, and I'm very proud of the good doctor's mask. Now I just need to get together enough cash for a Batman. Thanks for looking! Comments are appreciated!

post-2133-1258253409_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1258253416_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1258253436_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1258253442_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1258253447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glantern

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so a few new updates today. First, two comissions done for MiniEspo:

Ash from Evil Dead and the Question inspired by his appearance on JLU. Really happy with how these turned out, especially Ash. In fact I'm a little sad to see them go. Guess I'll just have to make my own. Oh well, here they are:

post-2133-1260318847_thumb.jpg

And the next part of the update builds on what I did for my last update.

Scarecrow:

I was pretty happy with my first shot at Scarecrow in this scale, but I wanted him to stick out just a little bit more on the shelf, so I decided to try his Arkham Asylum look from the end of Begins. The jaket was by hand, using a GI joe shirt as the underlying structure. I think he looks a bit more unique now, and I'm quite happy with how he turned out(again).

post-2133-1260318938_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1260318943_thumb.jpg

Robin:

But wait...Robin wasn't in either of the most recent Batman movies. Yes I know, and given what I've heard about Nolan's opinion of the character, he probably never will be. However, Robin has always been one of my favorite parts of the Batman mythos, so I wanted a Nolan-styled Robin to go with my other figures. So, I took up the task of designing my own version. I tried to combine elements of the Tim Drake costume with a few of those from the Batman costume from Begins. I used a shorter hasbro GI Joe body so that Robin is shorter than his companions. Really like how he turned out. Now I really need to get a Batman.

post-2133-1260318879_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1260318886_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1260318892_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1260318862_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1260318899_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1260318930_thumb.jpg

Thats all for today. Thanks for looking. Comments are appreciated.

post-2133-1260408893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glantern

• 1 month later...

So, It's been a little while since I last posted here. Haven't had a lot of time to work on anything as of late, but I should have quite a few things to add once I get through the month of February.

Today I do have a small update. about 2 months ago, I was comissioned by a friend to do a second set of firefly mates. at the same time, her husband also had a small request. The Roger Thornrill and Eve Kendall, two lead characters from Hitchcock's North By Northwest. In the rush to get them to him before the holidays, I never got to take pictures of them finished. So, I sent my friend an e-mail asking for a few pictures of them. I got these:

post-2133-1264967027_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1264967035_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1264967043_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1264967050_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1264967056_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty proud of how the 'mates turned out, and I think these pictures just make them even cooler. Not complex work by any means, but they were fun and easy to make. Particulary happy with the Carry Grant face.

Ok, that's it for now. I hope to finish a few new 'mates for a convention I ttend every February, so I'll try to get some images of them up following the event.

Thanks for looking! Comments are, as always, greatly appreciated!

Edited by Glantern

I had to comment on your fantastic four they are killer I realy Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Short little update today. First, in response to a couple comments I've gotten:

Haha when I saw your title I wondered if you meant the Hitchcock movie, but I wasn't expecting the entire Mt. Rushmore scene. Good Job!

My friend who commissioned the set actually found that Rushmore piece at a home improvement place or some thing. apparently, it was meant to be a garden decoration, but the scale was to nice to not use

I had to comment on your fantastic four they are killer I realy Johnny

Thanks, Johnny's my second favorite out of that set, after The Thing

Next, the real deal of this post. I just got back earlier today from attending Farpoint, a Baltimore based media con that I aid in running. It's always a lot of fun, and this year was no exception. I managed to sell $50 worth of custom minimates in the con's amazing art show, which is always nice. But the coolest thing was meeting one of the main guests, Felicia Day(of Dr Horrible fame). I happened to make a spare set of my Dr Horrible minimates for the con, so when I got to sit at a table with her for dinner Friday night, I decided to give her the set as a little thank you for coming to the con. She was amazed by them and was very excited to see something that cool come from her work. She was very thankful and was more than willing to take a picture with the mates(and some other guy who's not nearly as cool).

anyway, Felicia was a great guest and I was happy to hear she liked the 'mates as much as she did.

post-2133-1266291170_thumb.jpg

post-2133-1266291187_thumb.jpg

That's it for today, no real update, just something I thought was pretty cool. Thanks for looking!

• 2 months later...

Been quite while since I posted anything in this thread. Not much to report today, however Eclipse said he was interested in my aliens decals, so I figured I'd throw them up in case anyone else was interested. I hope to get something done soon in the way of customs, but I don't have the free time currently. Maybe in a month or two though.

post-2133-1272247559_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1272247568_thumb.jpg

thank you for throwing these up,there awsome!!

hopfully you can find some time to make some customs!!

Been quite while since I posted anything in this thread. Not much to report today, however Eclipse said he was interested in my aliens decals, so I figured I'd throw them up in case anyone else was interested. I hope to get something done soon in the way of customs, but I don't have the free time currently. Maybe in a month or two though.

post-2133-1272247559_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1272247568_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. Been quite a while since I completed an actual custom and posted it here, but I've finally had some time to work on some projects. The following custom was definitely inspired by the recent charitymates theme (really wish I'd had the time to submit something), but also inspired by the fact that I had a 2 wireless mice, a key board, and 3 pairs of head phones die around the same time. Being the artist I am, I felt the need to do something creative with this stuff, so after a bit of work I present:

STARTER

post-2133-1277863625_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1277863614_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1277863577_thumb.jpg

named this because it was the first of these I made and because of the start key used in the piece.

I have to say this wasn't a completely original idea, as I recall seeing something similar posted on the boards a while back, but I searched, and I can't for the life of me find it. If any body knows who's that was, I'd love to give proper credit.

Anyway, probably have a few more of these to post, as I have been working on these things like crazy. Thanks for looking! Comments are, as always, greatly appreciated!

You might have been thinking of my robo-mates. I love seeing minimates that are cobbled together from other materials, like little Frankenstein monsters. Very cool!

Those were indeed the ones I had thought of. As cool as I remembered. And thanks for the compliment.

i didnt relize there were so many of me :D also great custom Glantern

Edited by robomate

Thanks Robomate!

So, have another 'bot to show today. he's sound related(with the exception of the key on the back he's made only from parts of headphones), but this one doesn't have a name yet, so if anybody has any clever suggestions, feel free to say them.

post-2133-1277918648_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1277918655_thumb.jpgpost-2133-1277918663_thumb.jpg

That's it today, hope to have another for tomorrow. Thanks for looking! comments are always greatly appreciated

Edited by Glantern