UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Minimates

I kind of agree with CBecker. With the money they would have to spend on licensing Star Wars, they could probably license AND produce a number of other, cool things. More wacky movie-'Mates, I say. Stuff like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Double Indemnity, Big Lebowski, Toxic Avenger, Manhattan, Goonies, the Thin Man, GHOSTBUSTERS, etc. etc.

I kind of agree with CBecker. With the money they would have to spend on licensing Star Wars, they could probably license AND produce a number of other, cool things. More wacky movie-'Mates, I say. Stuff like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Double Indemnity, Big Lebowski, Toxic Avenger, Manhattan, Goonies, the Thin Man, GHOSTBUSTERS, etc. etc.

James Bond?

There are seriously NO Bond toys to speak of. How hard can the license be to get?

James Bond?

There are seriously NO Bond toys to speak of. How hard can the license be to get?

I know Corgi is running loose with the Die Cast License, which they've been doing for like 30 years.

Unfortunately, I don't think Bond has the marketing power that it once did...

Jaws on the other hand.... I'd be all over that.

From Rebelscum.com

this really upsets me. i mean lucas will put his name on ANYTHING, (have you seen the amount of crap that star wars puts out?) except for minimates. unbelievable

For all those SW fans who "don't know what Minimates are," all they have to do is Google images of Minimates and maybe they'll be changing their tune.

I would've thought that George Lucas's dubious license dealings aside, Star Wars would be excellent as Minimates if only due to the vast plethora of characters in that universe. Whether you go original trilogy, prequel or EU first, if Star Wars is successful financially it is guaranteed to put out just as prolific an output as the Marvel line. I wouldn't mind having a few Jedis, Sith and original trilogy characters (Han Solo, Chewbacca, Lando Calrissian and OH YES Princess Leia) myself. And if the I, Robot minimates had only gotten released according to plan, then DST would've had parts on hand to extrapolate a C3PO from :(

Bottom line. I don't presume to speak for DST. But I imagine with as many requests as they get for this, and in fact even OWNING part of the license, I'd say they've looked into it, at least to test the waters. And if they didn't persue it any further than that, there's only one bottom line there: It simply wasn't profitable. DST always comes down to money. That's not a flaw, just a fact. And I think they're smart enough to figure out they can't charge people $15 per SW 2 pack and expect people to pay.

Like I said, I don't want to put words in their mouths. This is just me guessing. But I'd say they haven't happened, aren't happening and will never happen because there isn't enough money.

I'm probably not going to make any friends at the Rebel Scum forums with my most recent comments. But sheesh, Star Wars fans are worse than Star Trek fans sometimes.

You're kidding! Man, I thought we were the biggest snobs of the sci-fi community! Damn it! How the hell did the warsies beat us? Well, warsies, I have but one thing to say to you:

I for one am glad there are no plans for Star Wars minimates. I gave up collecting SW figures. I exclusively buy minimates now. Star Wars mates would KILL me. Sorry George, I think you have enough of my money. Chuck and DST gets it now.:D

Edited by bilbofett

This is the most interesting thing I've heard all day, and to me, personally vindicating.

I can neither confirm nor deny any facts, but if you look at what GG was doing with some of their other Bust-Up lines, assume for a minute that they "may have wanted" to move their SW Bust-Ups in that general direction, take into account Hasbro's hasty and somewhat puzzling shift from the poorly performing 7" Unleashed line to the equally poorly performing Unleashed Battle Pack format, squint real hard, you can probably start to see very clearly that there could be potential for conflict within the license and market place if both lines were allowed to go forward. Obviously one line did move forward, and one line remains in limbo.

Just another example of how Hasbro will kill anything that moves, doubly quick if it resembles competition.

Jatta, sot worry about it. There's several very good reason I'm not registered on any SW forums. 1) They're too big 2) I can find all the info I need elsewhere 3) They're full of trolls (see answer 1) 4) I know everything about SW. So there you have it.

You think Treckies and SW fans are bad. Try Transfans. OMFG. F*&^ing bunch of whiney fanboys.

• 4 years later...

I didn't read the entire thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but doesn't Disney own the rights to Star Wars now? And we all know they own Marvel, and we get Marvel mates, so regardless of the situation with Hasbro, is so hard to concieve the idea that there may be a slight possibility that we may see Star Wars mates some day???

2015 should be a huge year for Hasbro and Lego. And while you might think that there would be room for some domestic block figures in retailers' Star Wars planograms, I suspect Disney's going to take a lesson from both releases of Episode I (the original and the recent 3D release) and manage expectations accordingly by keeping retailers from overstocking and saturating the market.

That said, Episodes VII – IX aren't the only Star Wars movies Disney is developing. Anything's possible but the Mouse House stands to make a LOT more money from Hasbro and Lego than DST.

2015 should be a huge year for Hasbro and Lego. And while you might think that there would be room for some domestic block figures in retailers' Star Wars planograms, I suspect Disney's going to take a lesson from both releases of Episode I (the original and the recent 3D release) and manage expectations accordingly by keeping retailers from overstocking and saturating the market.

That said, Episodes VII – IX aren't the only Star Wars movies Disney is developing. Anything's possible but the Mouse House stands to make a LOT more money from Hasbro and Lego than DST.

{fingers in ears} La, la, la, I'm not listening, la, la, la...

SW would be in my top 3 wants as a license to get the Minimate treatment. But, at the same time, it's probably also in my bottom 3 as well. Mostly because I doubt I would have any kind of sane reaction to seeing them available for sale. It would be a kid in a candy store situation the second that I could buy Minimate Stormtroopers. I can't imagine being able to keep it in check.

I definitely think that SW being bought by Disney, and DST having a good relationship with Disney, raises the odds. But, realistically, it only raises them from "hopeless" to... well, whatever comes above hopeless. It's still unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So..great people of the board..I come to you seeking answers. I see these last few posts, hinting towards TMNT. In a more recent Q&A, someone asked about the TMNT banner at one of the cons. The reply was simply...."patience". This license is one of my "holy grails", much like star wars. What....does....it....all....mean. I beg thee, lovers of the mates.

So..great people of the board..I come to you seeking answers. I see these last few posts, hinting towards TMNT. In a more recent Q&A, someone asked about the TMNT banner at one of the cons. The reply was simply...."patience". This license is one of my "holy grails", much like star wars. What....does....it....all....mean. I beg thee, lovers of the mates.

I'm gonna answer that question in this thread to try to keep this one on topic. wink.png