UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Minimates

I don't get why though, I mean Lucas seems to be a merchandising whore as of late, why wouldn't he go for minimates? He did LEgo Star Wars for godsake.

*sigh* I just really want minimate versions of stuff... minimate vehicles for Star Wars, unlike DC C3 I think would sell great... could you picture a minimate scaled At-ST or X-Wing? That WOULD sell...

One word: Hasbro. George Lucas may own Star Wars, but Hasbro owns George Lucas. Simple as that. Their partnership works far far too well for some no-name company like DST to come in to the big kid pool and much up the waters.

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/store/sub...bcategoryID=567

We also have Star Wars block figures in LEGO. I don't know what the problem is, but it probably is a combination of things, including the likely insane cost of the license, the influence of Hasbro (with the Superhero Squad figures) and LEGO, etc. It might not be worth DST's while to pursue the license given all those factors and others.

I got to be honest with you, after 30+ years I am about star warsed out.

I mean how many different types of clone troopers can they make?

oh this one has a yellow stripe and this one has a black arm band.....good grief.

40 versions of luke, or han....and the prequels were abysmal

The other day, I saw a Jodo Kast Figure....a dude that looks EXACTLY LIKE Boba Fett. except his knee pads are a different color. I read the back of the package and it said. he wants people to think he is Boba Fett but really he isn't.... ugh saturation!!!!

I was never a huge Star Wars fan to begin with, but I'm even less of one after the prequel movies, the Clone Wars thing, and the Force Unleashed plot. And with the expanded universe spreading wider and wider in book form, the whole SW thing is more headache than anything.

All that being said, if they made Star Wars Minimates, they would sell, simple as that. Odds of it happening are slim though, since it has been mentioned before that the license is likely a steep price to pay, and with so many other hands in the pot, there's no telling what would result from it.

I got to be honest with you, after 30+ years I am about star warsed out.

I mean how many different types of clone troopers can they make?

oh this one has a yellow stripe and this one has a black arm band.....good grief.

40 versions of luke, or han....and the prequels were abysmal

The other day, I saw a Jodo Kast Figure....a dude that looks EXACTLY LIKE Boba Fett. except his knee pads are a different color. I read the back of the package and it said. he wants people to think he is Boba Fett but really he isn't.... ugh saturation!!!!

This is what happens when the marketing starts to really dictate everything else. The rabid Star Wars fans out there rival that of any other toy except, maybe, Hot Wheels and Barbie, and they seem to buy every crappy repaint that Hasbro releases, so we keep getting more and more. And you know that Lucas's decision to create Django Fett and to make him such a critical character in the new movies was a direct response to the popularity of Boba Fett. He knew that he could sell tickets and toys, and so we get this lame-o repaint, and make him Boba Fett's dad. Stupid.

I love the first 3 Star Wars movies, but the stuff that you are referring to really turns me off, too. Of course, if I was a hardcore Star Wars fan, I might not feel this way. Being an insatiable collector of things myself, I can understand always wanting more. I could buy Spiderman Minimate variants until the cows come home, whereas outside observers might think that doing so is pretty ridiculous.

*sigh* I just really want minimate versions of stuff... minimate vehicles for Star Wars, unlike DC C3 I think would sell great... could you picture a minimate scaled At-ST or X-Wing? That WOULD sell...

We all want things in minimate versions, but with like the vehicles......the current star wars vehicles are basically in scale with Minimates and from what I can tell just by going to some of the stores frequently, those DON'T sell.......so I think Minimate style Star Wars vehicles would go the way of C3 and sit on the shelf.

Well, until they would cancel the line and then everyone would want them..........

Edited by jcastick

We all want things in minimate versions, but with like the vehicles......the current star wars vehicles are basically in scale with Minimates and from what I can tell just by going to some of the stores frequently, those DON'T sell.......so I think Minimate style Star Wars vehicles would go the way of C3 and sit on the shelf.

Well, until they would cancel the line and then everyone would want them..........

good point. they dont sell. why?

price point

economy

saturation of the market

minimates are a collectors market. no matter what anyone says, it doesn't have the drawing power of a star wars. to justify playsets, vehicles, etc.

C3 was a great idea, but it had to compete against Lego....that HAD to be hard.

Slightly veering away from Star Wars a little but if you're asking what would sell ? How about a Minimate-scale BSG C3 Viper & a Cylon Raider . We have umpteen Galactican pilots who fly FA so surely these would be successful?

I would buy BSG stuff in a heartbeat.

Although I am a Star Wars fanatic and wouldn't be able to keep myself from buying up any Star Wars minimates if that were to ever happen, truth be told I like having one part of my collecting that doesn't have Star Wars in it! So keep bringing us the other great minimate stuff like BSG and Marvel and Star Trek and I am actually probably more happy with that then I would be if Star Wars came about in minimate form.

Edited by gambitron

Of dourse I'd buy Star Wars minimates, but they'd have to watch themselves. DST could make this line an abysmal failure by doing what the Hasbro stuff is doing; focusing on the prequels. Hasbro makes moey because it appeases kids. I would hope that DST would be smart enough to realize that the people who buy minimates would rather have a Han Solo than a Grievous and focus more in on the Original Trilogy because honestly, anything with Original Star Wars is better than Prequel.

• 2 months later...
Of dourse I'd buy Star Wars minimates, but they'd have to watch themselves. DST could make this line an abysmal failure by doing what the Hasbro stuff is doing; focusing on the prequels. Hasbro makes moey because it appeases kids. I would hope that DST would be smart enough to realize that the people who buy minimates would rather have a Han Solo than a Grievous and focus more in on the Original Trilogy because honestly, anything with Original Star Wars is better than Prequel.

I agree with you on this point, but let's look at what their quarter scale line is doing:

Darth Maul

Han Solo (Hoth)

Obi-wan (A New Hope)

Mace Windu

Obi-wan (EP 3)

Anakin (EP 3)

original: 2

prequel: 4

I think if they did make mates, they might follow the same suit and do more prequel.

I say if they do make mates they should make them in this order: original, expanded and lastly prequel.

Spider-Man

I agree with you on this point, but let's look at what their quarter scale line is doing:

Darth Maul

Han Solo (Hoth)

Obi-wan (A New Hope)

Mace Windu

Obi-wan (EP 3)

Anakin (EP 3)

I think if they did make mates, they might follow the same suit and do more prequel.

I say if they do make mates they should make them in this order: original, expanded and lastly prequel.

Original, Prequel, Expanded. There is so much to the expanded universe that you'd never get to the prequels. Prequels are as limited as the Original trilogy, maybe a little less,but the Expanded Universe deals with everything ever. You'd have TONS of EU characters and neer be able to get the Minimate Darth Maul. And Trekker wants his Minimate Darth Maul. And a Minimate Liam Neeson. Yeah... But the EU characters, very few but major Star Wars fans have heard of them. You have the KOTOR guys and the Force Unleashed guys, they'd be pretty recognizable. But other than us geeks, who has heard of Darth Cadeus or Tenel Ka? It's pretty obvious that DST wants to appeal to a wide market, hence the multiple Spider-Manand Wolverine, and EU characters too early would kinda defeat the purpose and probably kill the line due to low sales by anyone who is not a true Star Wars geek.

And you don't want a dead line before Minimate Darth Mul do you?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing "Darth Mul" or any other of the "new" characters. I love the original 3, but can't stand the new ones. Looks like it is a moot point, anyway.

Spider-Man

Darth Maul

Han Solo (Hoth)

Obi-wan (A New Hope)

Mace Windu

Obi-wan (EP 3)

Anakin (EP 3)

Original, Prequel, Expanded. There is so much to the expanded universe that you'd never get to the prequels. Prequels are as limited as the Original trilogy, maybe a little less,but the Expanded Universe deals with everything ever. You'd have TONS of EU characters and neer be able to get the Minimate Darth Maul. And Trekker wants his Minimate Darth Maul. And a Minimate Liam Neeson. Yeah... But the EU characters, very few but major Star Wars fans have heard of them. You have the KOTOR guys and the Force Unleashed guys, they'd be pretty recognizable. But other than us geeks, who has heard of Darth Cadeus or Tenel Ka? It's pretty obvious that DST wants to appeal to a wide market, hence the multiple Spider-Manand Wolverine, and EU characters too early would kinda defeat the purpose and probably kill the line due to low sales by anyone who is not a true Star Wars geek.

Excellent point! I think Star Wars, for better or for worse, is a series best left to Hasbro and the other "big boys".

Now, GI Joe one the other hand, with far fewer recognizable characters, would be perfect.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing "Darth Mul" or any other of the "new" characters. I love the original 3, but can't stand the new ones. Looks like it is a moot point, anyway.

*Maul. And think, Double-bladed lightsaber. End of story.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if SW minimates never happened - as it is, the 3.75" series and the Galactic Heroes are inundated with all the EU stuff and/or obscure characters, which has made collecting Star Wars toys a huge pain in the butt. As it is, shopping for Star Wars figures has deteriorated into an excercise in combing through pegs full of six-breasted women and clone troopers of so many colors that I'd swear they're being cloned on the planet Crayola (though we all seriously know that Clone troops originate from George Lucas' home world of "Moo-Lah!)

With so many other cool licenses out there, DST should leave SW minimates alone - especially since George Lucas would leave us all teetering on the verge of Bankruptcy long before we could ever collect a complete SW set - especially HTF characters like the Paisley Clone Trooper or Mauve Fashion Assult Stormtrooper.