UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

LOL :) Thanks Chuck - that's very decent of you (especially considering it was probably me who didn't hit send or something anyway)

Q: Would a Minimate by any other name smell as sweet? When the team at DST were coming up with the concept for Minimates, were there any other names bandied about? Or were you all set on the title of 'Minimates' from the very start?

Why would you want to smell a Minimate? I can tell you fresh plastic just painted from China REALLY stinks when you open the box! There is a cool interview with Digger posted over at the MM addiction blog you should check out, it touches on the naming process.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

That was one of the best Q&As in a long time. Lots of good information, and a sense of humor to boot.

Yeah, I agree, great job with the questions this time around, everyone, and GREAT job by Chuck with the answers.

• 3 weeks later...

New Minimate Q&A

I thought this had a weird question vibe to it throughout the whole thing. It seemed as if several of the questions were just a little bit odd, except for that long-winded question from somebody named Justin. :rolleyes: Although, someone was smart enough to ask about MOTU and it seems that at least DST tried to get something worked out (stupid Mattel ruins everything).

Oh, and Chuck still doesn't know who Kang is. :thumbsup:

Although, someone was smart enough to ask about MOTU and it seems that at least DST tried to get something worked out (stupid Mattel ruins everything).

Oh, that was a smart guy and a very clever question. Bummer it didn't work out.

except for that long-winded question from somebody named Justin. :rolleyes:

:blink:

Although, someone was smart enough to ask about MOTU and it seems that at least DST tried to get something worked out (stupid Mattel ruins everything).

Yeah, that guy really knows his toys...isn't Masters of the Universe that lame knock-off of Blackstar?

:down: No Miranda Keyes. Lame spartan repaint instead.

Agreed.

I picked up on the Jubilee question....I've never really noticed that 'she' is expensive to buy ? Not a favourite set of mine (Uncanny X-men) & Jubilee was just awful.

Agreed.

Aaaannnndddd we're back to "have you ever considered [fill in the name of favorite niche property]? There's lots of fans that would buy them!" If I can channel the Miz for a second... let me just get my spray tan....okay, I'm back. Charmed? Really? Really? When was that show on, five years ago? And it was never a big hit. There is NO chance for Charmed Minimates because there is NO significant audience for them, okay?

Did anyone else think that Hayden Panettiere had asked a question for a second there?:wacko:

Yes, I thought that too. And I keep wondering why people are disappointed that there's no Alicia Keys Halo mate.

I thought the Jubilee question was way out of left field until I saw there were two. I guess I never knew she was that hard to find or that desired. And in one of the questions, a Jim Lee Cyclops was asked for when we already have one.

Edited by groundhog7s

Not getting the Jubilee love. Aside from her promenance in the 90's cartoon, I never considered her that essential a character. Since Gen-X ended she's been at best a third stringer. Guess I'm underestimating the nostalgia factor of that cartoon.

I guess that cartoon was the entry point to the X-Men for a lot of people. A quick eBay search for Jubilee shows one loose one for $17, which I wouldn't call super-expensive, but more then I'd want to pay. You can also buy the box set for around $20-25; again, more then I'd pay, but not too bad. I dunno, it's an ugly figure, so I wouldn't want to see her again.

I think that question about Jim Lee Cyclops and the rest was actually a Marvel Select question.

I don’t think we’re looking at that right now. The plans are similar to Marvel X Capcom. Get as many of the game characters done as possible in three series.

Wait what... Does this mean that DST are going to be gutter trash and once again deny me a minimate of the greatest gentleman to grace a fighting game tournament (I am of course referring to Dudley). We get fracking KANG and probably Barlog/Boxer and not Dudley?! DST;

I don’t think we’re looking at that right now. The plans are similar to Marvel X Capcom. Get as many of the game characters done as possible in three series.

Wait what... Does this mean that DST are going to be gutter trash and once again deny me a minimate of the greatest gentleman to grace a fighting game tournament (I am of course referring to Dudley). We get fracking KANG and probably Barlog/Boxer and not Dudley?! DST;

Did he say no Dudley? Granted, I just looked at the roster, and would be hard-pressed to find many characters that fall below the Dudley Diagonal. There are 25 characters in each universe, and we're PROBABLY only making 18, so...

Did he say no Dudley? Granted, I just looked at the roster, and would be hard-pressed to find many characters that fall below the Dudley Diagonal. There are 25 characters in each universe, and we're PROBABLY only making 18, so...

True, but a) Dudley is a DLC character who technically isn't available until September and I get the feeling the initial 38 are the people we're likely to get first, and b ) he's a SFIII character. I'm probably the only person on this forum who's actually used him more than once, let alone "main" him. If you guys are only going to do 18 per universe, I think it's fair to say he'll be pretty low on the priority list.

Sorry if I seemed rude (I will admit I do love throwing around some of his classic 3rd Strike quotes like "Gutter trash" and "You have no dignity") but in my humble opinion non SFII characters > the "classic" *coughhorriblyoverusedcough* roster.

Edited by pawcanada

SF 2 characters only, please :highfive2:

I'll second that motion. The only time I ever played Tekken was if there were no other games open at the arcade and I had to leave soon.

Of course, I'm hoping that at some point, DST will consider themselves a video game company and embrace the greatest fighting game ever, Mortal Kombat.

True, but a) Dudley is a DLC character who technically isn't available until September and I get the feeling the initial 38 are the people we're likely to get first, and b ) he's a SFIII character. I'm probably the only person on this forum who's actually used him more than once, let alone "main" him. If you guys are only going to do 18 per universe, I think it's fair to say he'll be pretty low on the priority list.

Sorry if I seemed rude (I will admit I do love throwing around some of his classic 3rd Strike quotes like "Gutter trash" and "You have no dignity") but in my humble opinion non SFII characters > the "classic" *coughhorriblyoverusedcough* roster.

Not overused by Minimates, though. And while I dig his look (I'd never heard of him), I didn't know he was DLC. Tough break.

SF 2 characters only, please :highfive2:

and don’t forgot to complete the Final Fight teams you started! (we need Hugo, Guy, and Cody)

I’m sure the line is set is stone, but if DST cuts the following 7 characters things will turn out pretty great for SF fans:

1-Ryu

2-Chun-Li

3-Akuma

because they’re EXACTLY the same as your Wave 3 MvC3 versions

4-Juri

5-Abel

6-Rufus

because they’re new and thereby not as exciting to causal fans as the SF2 cast. Granted they’d go nice with C.Viper, but you know what else goes nice with C.Viper?! Coffee Grinds, Egg Shells, and Empty minimate boxes since that’s what else I toss in the trash with garbage*. (plus Rufus and Juri are probably tooling heavy)

and then cut one more character, unfortunately only good ones are left, so I think it has to be, and someone can correct me if there’s a better head to cut off this hydra:

7-Rolento

I love Rolento, he’s one of my favorite Alpha characters, but... without Sodom he’d be missing a part of himself. Think of how long our SF minimates have had a Ryu with no Ken, think of how long your Marvel Legends where “the Fantastic 3” because there was no Sue... Rolento would be such without his Sodom. There are no guarantees DST would get a chance to make Sodom and he’s far too complex to quick custom, so the easiest cut is to make sure they both remain unmade.

Those cuts mean we get all the SF2 characters possible, the ‘generic school girl’ and ‘generic ninja girl’ some will probably want for army building, Pawcanda gets his mains, I get the 4 Kings of Shadowloo and two complete Final Fight teams.... everyone wins!

Plus if the only Final Fight mates I get are Haggar and Poison I’m bringing a tray of arsenic laced cookies to comic con... then I’ll say something witty like “what’s the matter Chuck, thought since we got her, him?, nah I’ll say ‘her’... since we got her instead of Dhalsim you liked POISON!”

*garbage comment directed at Capcom not DST, C.Viper is a shitty KoF2k looking design that has no place in SF, DST’s minimate of C.V is as good a job as one can do translating garbage to a non-garbage medium, but her space still should have gone to Hsien-Ko.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. Final Fight and SF 2 only, please :highfive2:

Rolento is a Final Fight character, so I say we keep him!

Edited by karamazov80

groundhog7s that is a great a idea! Mortal Kombat would be an awesome line!!

Thanks. I keep throwing the idea out there in hopes that it keeps the name out there in an annoying way. Every time I see Hand ninjas or classic Cable I think their vests should be on Scorpion or Sub-Zero.

Wow. The Street Fighter love is strong with this one. Pretty sure we'll include new versions of those three big guys simply because we need as many big guns as we can get, but not sure about those others. Wanna say yes to Abel and Rolento.

Wow. The Street Fighter love is strong with this one. Pretty sure we'll include new versions of those three big guys simply because we need as many big guns as we can get, but not sure about those others. Wanna say yes to Abel and Rolento.

Then I have to buy a 3rd Ryu and an Abel, Can’t we convince you to make FOUR waves so only one character from each side is left out? No one wants Rufus and (some Tekken fan can decide which Tekken character is most hated... Bob?), how many sets do I need to buy to make Wave 4 happen?

Because if you guys stop at Wave 4 and I don’t get Guy, Cody, and the main SF2 cast the blood will be on YOUR hands Mr.Oats and your boss will learn cookies from strangers is a bad idea.