UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

Actually, more than anything, it sounds like Chuck needs to get to work on that pile of stuff on his desk.:confused:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that Chuck hasn't lined up the direction for Calico Jack and MAX. Sounds like with so much expansion having happened over the last year, he's stretched pretty thin. Has anyone ever asked about the turn around time from concept design to production?

Not a big fan of Alpha Flight, but I think they would make for some cool 'mates. I'm curious to see how that might break down.

I thought the most interesting part was just how much of the decision-making is Chuck's responsibility. I guess I assumed it was spread around a little more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

New Misc. Q&A posted today

The only Minimate related issues:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich Middleford

I really love the Universal Movie Monsters lines. I just have a couple questions about decisions made. Why did your team opt for the Select Dracula to come with a Wolf rather than his Coffin, which seems more in keeping with the other three Universal Select figures? Also, I really like the inclusion of different characters for the Toys R Us waves of Halo, Marvel and Ghostbuster Minimates? Other than the Angry Mob Guy, why wasnt this carried over to the UMM line as well? Finally, I just picked up the awesome Bride figure from TRU and noticed that the packaging uses an image of Elsa Lancaster. Does that means you now have likeness rights for her? Many thanks, and I cant wait for wave 3!!!

DSTChuck:

I think the coffin has been done so many times we wanted to go a different direction but I agree a coffin could have been very cool. Another issue was cost; believe it or not capes are pretty expensive to make so with the cape a coffin like the Mummy received would have been an issue. Getting the pairs to match up was an issue for some of the movies, for example we thought Dracula was a movie deep in characters, some of the others were not as deep so we came up with the villager as a sort of army builder filler. Sorry to say we have very few likeness rights in our UM deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vince Krupa

Hey Chuck, few questions: 1. Care to divulge what accessories that were getting with the Taskmaster MvC Minimate? 2. One of my favorite accessories that you guys have made is the neck-attached mask on Brown Wolverine that looks like he pulled the mask up and over his head. I know that theres a Captain America out there with the same kind of thing, but I think you guys should put this on a few of the other characters such as Spidey and a few X-Men that slip the mask off similarly. 3. Now that youve perfectly bulked up Juggernaut and Hulk, any chance of seeing a bulked up Apocalypse?

DSTChuck:

1. I think the marketing folks like to save that info for when we do package shots and stuff like that. Most times we dont bring accessories to shows because they are small and do not display very well. 2. Yea I like that as well, we should have done it sooner though I still like simple , if I am given the choice. 3. Maybe weve had request for Rhino as well.

Edited by youbastards

At least they acknowledged the Rhino request.

Sadly, while Alpha Flight has a 50/50 shot of being made next year, aren't they dead? I'll buy them when they come out, but I'd prefer Kang, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Masters of Evil, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Wrecking Crew, etc. first!

aren't they dead?

5ef8.jpg

DST doesn't do dead people as characters. That's why they didn't do Winter Soldier. I mean, look at the recent Spidey wave. Number of dead characters = bupkis.

Oh please, sure DST does dead characters, they just got the Lenore license!!!! <_<

Can't say i'm too excited for Alpha Flight, but i like Guardian and i understand them being a major want so i hope those who do want them get them!!!

And please, DST, before you give up on Universal Monsters, can we please have the Mummy set?? Please????? :(

Alive. Dead. Resurrected. Mini. Ongoing. Cancelled. Might as well be zombies.

I'm kinda in the same boat with TTF in that I have no preference in Alpha Flight but I always liked the look of Vindicator/Guardian. So if only he gets made, I'm perfectly happy.

Rhino. :thumbsup:

You can't tell me you wouldn't love a bulked up Sasquatch.

sure, for some custom parts, but thats about it, same with puck

now falcon, and winter soldier, commander steve, and my personal most wanted, genis vell... those are what i really want

and gi joe, motu, thundercats, dukes of hazzard, a-team, m.a.s.k., silverhawks, tonto and the lone ranger, etc.....

• 3 weeks later...

Man, that was a long one. As always, I get a kick out of people who make the Star Wars "it's very popular, so it would probably sell well for you" pitch. I like to imagine Chuck looking up from his computer and saying "this guy's right. Get me George Lucas".

Other thoughts:

-I think all of us can probably name 50 stories off the top of our head that would mix core characters, new characters, and have an army builder. Well, the army builder part might be a little tough.

-I chuckled when Chuck said we don't do cosmic very much, considering that there's an all-cosmic box set that's just been released.

-I think Chuck's gotten the message about the Avengers.

-I didn't know, or at least I'd forgotten, that Chuck's such a big Bond fan. Don't really understand why Universal (it is Universal that holds the Bond rights, isn't it?) would be so opposed to Bond Minimates; I think they'd sell reasonably well, and it's not like there's a glut of Bond products out there. Considering how much difficulty they had in even finding money to make the upcoming film, it seems like chasing some merch dollars might be a good idea, no?

I've wondered about Bond before and had to ask the question if Bond fans would be into Minimates. The really interesting Bonds and Bond villians are mainly from decades ago and I'm not sure how many modern-aged fans of them there andif they'd want Minimates. My dad was big into Bond, but he's not into toys.

Although, i suppose to gain interest you could pack a gold Spidey into a Goldfinger set...

Edited by groundhog7s

I think you're right, that there probably isn't a big crossover between Bond fans and toy fans. I think, though, you'd probably be able to get away with a box set per movie, or maybe even TRU waves with one 2-pack per movie. It's tricky, though, because I'm not sure that Bond has enough iconic characters on a movie-by-movie basis. And you have to wonder if people would want more then one Sean Connery and Roger Moore Minimate, and if they'd want George Lazerby, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, or even Daniel Craig at all. I think Bond belongs on the second tier of Minimate properties, likely to find some success but unlikely to be a big breakout property. More T2 then Ghostbusters.