UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were pruning my Marvel minimate collection the movie 'mates would go first but that's not to say I dislike them . Nearly all of the characters on my Marvel 'wish-list' are early Avengers comic characters so this news ain't great news for me.

Almost without exception all the most expensive Marvel Minimates on US ebay are comic-based ........coincidence ?

I like both movie and comic versions but lately the movie lines have left me wanting. (Days of Future Past, The Wolverine, ASM2, for example.) Age of Ultron seems to be making up for that and the much smaller Ant-Man assortment might hit just the right characters. We'll see.

I know there's no guarantee that comic-based lines taking advantage of movie tie-ins would be any better but I know the Cap wave prior to Winter Soldier was pretty sweet.

Yes I am pretty dismayed to be honest that DST thinks that the avengers "need" in the line is being met by all the constant movie stuff of mostly the same old characters, rather than using the avengers' current popularity to give us some new classic comic characters. I guess it explains why the line's appeal has waned for me in the last couple of years, but it's interesting to hear that others were less than happy with that answer too.

I would say I guess it explains why we get so much xmen stuff when we do get comic stuff but then we've had quite a bit of movie xmen/wolverine stuff too...

Edited by stegron01

If I were pruning my Marvel minimate collection the movie 'mates would go first but that's not to say I dislike them . Nearly all of the characters on my Marvel 'wish-list' are early Avengers comic characters so this news ain't great news for me.

Wait, you have a wish list?

Almost without exception all the most expensive Marvel Minimates on US ebay are comic-based ........coincidence ?

Probably just a matter of longevity. We've been making the comic versions for a lot longer, which means latecomer fans are competing more for the older ones, and there are more characters to choose from due to less character repetition. Doesn't mean the movie figures don't sell as well or better at retail. For the most part, high prices on eBay relate more to a the limits of the supply than to the size of the demand.

It does feel more like an excuse than a reason.

Only if we felt something to excuse, which I don't think Chuck does. We have plenty of Avengers comic figures coming up (62, 64), it's just a matter of whether or not they are on your wish list.

Only if we felt something to excuse, which I don't think Chuck does. We have plenty of Avengers comic figures coming up (62, 64), it's just a matter of whether or not they are on your wish list.

64 is Avengers comic then. Hmm, I'm guessing the missing NOW! costumes (secretely hoping for Moon Knight/ready to be dissapointed) with maybe some classic stuff thrown in for good measure.

Why should DST need to justify their business decisions to us?

They don't, but if they're going to give reasons and they seem inconsistent I don't think it's ridiculous to point that out. Obviously, if Chuck wants to make X-Men for the next 10 waves that's his prerogative.

It does feel more like an excuse than a reason.

The question was about classic comic Avengers, so while I'm sure we could debate exactly what that means I don't think anyone would say 62 qualifies. There look to be some nice figures, and technically some of them are Avengers, but fans hoping for more Avengers probably aren't psyched about 62 because of those figures. Maybe 64 will be different.

I'm sure Chuck doesn't feel there's anything to excuse and I wouldn't argue that there is; DST has no obligation to provide certain characters or families, or even try to be "fair", whatever that would mean. It does feel like, with the increase in movie 'mates and the fact that DST has had to be more conservative with new characters, Chuck's personal preferences play a larger role than a few years ago, so that when DST has a spot to take a risk it seems much more likely that risk will be with X-Men characters, or possibly Spider-Man. That may not be true at all, and even if it was there's nothing wrong with it, but the feeling that it might be harder to convince DST to make someone like Black Knight over a fourth version of Cable is a little frustrating for Avengers fans.

Just some general thoughts:

1) my biggest problem with the "movie 'mates fulfilling the need for Avengers 'mates" is that it generally means we don't get new characters. Look at Age of Ultron. All those new 'mates, and every single one of them (that we've seen) is someone we've gotten before. What's more, just about all of them are characters we've gotten recently. Now, obviously, DST is going to make the characters in the movie, but that doesn't help me fill any holes in my collection. And, in all honesty, I had a similar complaint about the last Avengers comic wave (44), which gave us a whopping two new characters, packed in with characters we'd gotten plenty of times before. I understand the need for movie stuff. I understand the need for heavy hitters. It just doesn't thrill me to see wave after wave of stuff I've already got, so to speak.

2) I really don't consider 62 an Avengers wave. It's an event wave. I've already discussed my issues with it, so I won't retread them. If 64 is Avengers-based, that's cool, but I can't say I'm celebrating just yet.

I'm glad the line is still going, and I'm glad that others are still very excited for what's coming up. I certainly haven't given up on the line, but I have cooled off a little bit. But, that's okay, I need the money for Aliens Minimates anyway.

I think the comments in the last couple of posts sum up my thoughts perfectly actually. I think the key to the whole thing is "classic comic avengers" and that is what has been lacking for a long time. However, if that's what DST chooses then that is their prerogative. Now to start wish listing for wave 64...

Name one comic-based Avengers Minimate that's going for more money on eBay than its movie counterpart.

'One' would be difficult ...several would be easy ....but it's late here.... so again i'll back off.

Y'know...& with total respect MisterPL I know that you know........... we've had 59 Iron Mans, 32 Hulks, 19 Thor's & 35 Caps ( 7 Lokis ?) ....none of them [few?] look out of place in either world . Most expensive on ebay ?Until now I thought I knew but I guess I'm looking at the wrong info .

What's the problem with one Super-Adaptoid ...one Enchantress....one Executioner...one Wonderman...one Powerman...one [real] Swordsman....one Diablo ...one Red Guardian ?????

I treasure my THREE movie...f*cking Gwen Stacys ............I idolise them they are held in esteem & awe . sleep.png

Ya did. Wonder-Man has had two releases. One in the first wave with Thor in it (16?) and the other I think was a TRU release in his safari jacket.

OK ya got me there ......... I'm hoping for the first incarnation . The first Power Man was a white guy - Erik Josten . Too obscure & I'm too old I guess.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I never said 62 or 64 was an Avengers wave. I said they had Avengers in them. But none of them are technically "classic" Avengers, I don't think.

...Wait, didn't we make Wonder Man and Power Man? I'm confused.

In response to the question about classic Avengers in the Q&A, Chuck said that we'd see "plenty of avengers (62 and 64)". That's what a few of us are referring to. But I guess I can dash my hopes of 64 delivering what I'm looking for.

BHM: the original Power Man is more commonly known as Atlas nowadays. He took that identity in Thunderbolts and it's stuck with him