UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only there was some kind of database of Minimates that you guys could use....

BTW, the first Power Man is also better known as Goliath, before becoming Atlas. If we were to ever get him, that would be my choice, and he'd fit in perfectly in the Avengers:Under Siege wave I've long thrown out as a perfect specialty wave:

Captain America/Mister Hyde

Thor/Goliath

Wasp/Titania

Black Knight/Yellowjacket (the female one)

There's lots of other villains you could do there, though, like the Wrecking Crew.

Around the time of Wave 60's announcement, I was toying around with a Classic Avengers wave done in a similar way. I was thinking either an Under Siege-inspired wave:

The Captain (with US Agent Pieces) vs Wrecker

Hercules vs Thunder Ball

Wasp (with pieces for an extra costume) vs Pile Driver

Black Knight (with Nate Garret pieces) vs Bulldozer

or, alternatively, a classic Avengers VS Masters of Evil:

Iron Man (with both Tony and Rhodey pieces) vs Melter

Thor vs Black Knight (With Dane Whitman pieces)

Wasp (with pieces for an extra costume) vs Enchantress

Safari Wonder Man (with pieces for tank top Wonder Man) vs Executioner

If DST considers Wave 60 sales a success, maybe we could see a "Leather Jacket Avengers" set?

Black Widow (with Alternate parts for Cersei) / Wrecker

Black Knight (with alternate parts for Crystal) / Piledriver

Hercules / Bulldozer

White Vision / Thunderball

While the 90's Avengers aren't a team I desire by any means, I would suffer through them to get the Wrecking Crew and some form of Cersei/Crystal/Black Knight. A new Herc is definitely welcome and White Vision is a long wanted variant for me.

I'm liking all of these wave ideas, but especially the masters of evil one. However, I think the issue that's causing this debate in the first place is that DST just isn't heading in that direction any more. It feels to me that what started out as a classic comic figure wave has evolved into a primarily movie figure line with modern comic character looks as the second choice. Although that's not what I want from the line, I'm not saying it's wrong. I guess it's a matter of perspective whether you complain about the current policy for moving too far away from its roots or applaud it for moving with the times. The only thing I would say is if it is genuinely the view at DST that old school avengers fans will be satisfied because of all the movie releases and thus don't need comic stuff as well, then certainly this old school fan thinks there's a misconception somewhere.

I'd be fine with that line-up, though I can't help but feel that the percentage of Minimates from the 90s seems really disproportionate for a property that's been around for over 75 years

?

I don't think I know what your "?" is aimed at.

I'd be fine with that line-up, though I can't help but feel that the percentage of Minimates from the 90s seems really disproportionate for a property that's been around for over 75 years

?

I don't think I know what your "?" is aimed at.

Sorry. Which property has been around for over 75 years (since before 1940) ? I'm guessing you could mean the Golden Age comic-heroes but I was unsure . I should have PM'd you. blush.png

I'm liking all of these wave ideas, but especially the masters of evil one. However, I think the issue that's causing this debate in the first place is that DST just isn't heading in that direction any more. It feels to me that what started out as a classic comic figure wave has evolved into a primarily movie figure line with modern comic character looks as the second choice. Although that's not what I want from the line, I'm not saying it's wrong. I guess it's a matter of perspective whether you complain about the current policy for moving too far away from its roots or applaud it for moving with the times. The only thing I would say is if it is genuinely the view at DST that old school avengers fans will be satisfied because of all the movie releases and thus don't need comic stuff as well, then certainly this old school fan thinks there's a misconception somewhere.

I honestly don't think Chuck meant "old-school fans will be satisfied," I think he meant we were covering the majority of the Avengers fan base. The number of fans who remember that Atlas was once Goliath (me) and that Goliath was once Power Man (clearly not me) is a shrinking percentage of Marvel fans. Yes, those new fans sometimes become fans of the older stuff, but not as a rule.

And we'll stop making 1990s Minimates as soon as people stop buying them. I think it's all about sales numbers, honestly -- they do well. (Mind you, people here STILL want us to go back to the 1990s, to do X-Factor and others.) Think of how many people got into comics when they were at their peak, after the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons initiated a lot of readers, and even more recently, through the X-Men and Avengers movies.

I think the occasional classic Avengers release is still totally possible, and it looks like a couple are definite, depending on your definition of "classic" and "Avenger," I just don't think there'll be a whole themed wave of them.

Edited by DSTZach

Sorry. Which property has been around for over 75 years (since before 1940) ? I'm guessing you could mean the Golden Age comic-heroes but I was unsure . I should have PM'd you. blush.png

Oh, yeah, I meant Marvel as a whole, going back to the Golden Age. And no worries, I wasn't offended, just confused. :)

And it seems to me that the pre-90s vs. post-90s is an uphill battle that I'm not going to win, so I guess I'll give up on that front. I could make a few more arguments, but I don't really want to be combative.

Absolutely! Mind you I take Zach's point that the percentage of old school fans is probably shrinking (and I didn't even know about atlas!) and I guess if you compare it to 11 years ago when the line started then it was that much closer to the bronze/silver age that we are largely talking about. At the end of the day you can't please all the people which I totally understand -though it would certainly be nice to feel pleased a little more often as a classic avengers fan! yes.gif Still I do feel marginally encouraged by Zach's comment about a couple of upcoming characters...

I'm pretty happy that we're finally getting some more of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But Masters of Evil and Frightful Four are woefully underrepresented in Minimate form. And that makes me want to RAGE!

I don't see why Minimates can't service fans from all eras. Hasbro has really stepped things up recently and is making figures for characters such as Hellcat, Machine Man, Thundra and BATROC, and there's no reason DST can't do the same. Waves can be a hodge-podge. I know that's a model DST has gotten away from as of late, but that does not have to be the case.

And I think if DST is willing to dedicate a wave to the freakin' Jean DeWolff Saga, any storyline should be on the table.

HP, I'd argue that Hasbro and DST have SIGNIFICANTLY different business models/costs/retailer relationships. I'd further argue that Marvel Legends is a better established (read: more marketable/profitable) product line.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pro-Minimate, 100%. I'm just saying Hasbro can probably better afford the Machine Man risk (who they know they can sell for his BAF part) than DST could.

HP, I'd argue that Hasbro and DST have SIGNIFICANTLY different business models/costs/retailer relationships. I'd further argue that Marvel Legends is a better established (read: more marketable/profitable) product line.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pro-Minimate, 100%. I'm just saying Hasbro can probably better afford the Machine Man risk (who they know they can sell for his BAF part) than DST could.

All of that is certainly true. I don't think Hasbro worries about peg warmers affecting future choices that retail buyers make the way DST does. But the two pack model should really alleviate some of that concern. I'm not suggesting packing Hellcat and Machine Man together, but I'd be happier to buy another Cap if it comes with Hellcat (just as I was happy to buy another Iron Man to get Ronin).

At the end of the day, I think DST tries to do this, and I know Chuck and Robert have thought long and hard about what strategy sells the best. But I don't care about that any more; I want them to cater to me! Me and K80! Give us our Defenders vs the Squadron Supreme wave already!!!!!

There's no getting around the movie waves. We're going to get them and they're going to take up slots. What I hope DST can do this year is really limit the rehashes / alternate costumes to no more than half of the wave. Wave 61 is a great start. Wave 62 is so-so. Hopefully the rest of the comic waves will really deliver on unique characters.

I too would love to see Minimates cover the characters that have already been made into Marvel Legends (e.g., Wrecking Crew, Hellcat, Captain Marvel, Medusa, comic GotG).

All of that is certainly true. I don't think Hasbro worries about peg warmers affecting future choices that retail buyers make the way DST does. But the two pack model should really alleviate some of that concern. I'm not suggesting packing Hellcat and Machine Man together, but I'd be happier to buy another Cap if it comes with Hellcat (just as I was happy to buy another Iron Man to get Ronin).

I always assumed that the diversity we've seen previously was mostly because of two-packs or boxsets. Personally, I think it spreads risk better than the BAF strategy. I understand the need to careful with character selection, but it does seem like overkill when we keep seeing Cap, Thor, Iron Man or Hulk together in two-packs, outside of the movies anyway.

Hasbro's remarkable character selection across its lines lately (Deathlok, Death's Head, Leader, Black Knight, Boomerang, Machine Man, Whirlwind, etc.) has definitely stoked some frustrations with minimates.