UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

I'd love the classic Inhumans plus Ahura and Luna. Apart from that, thanks but no thanks. Fire dude and fish lady aren't the most interesting characters or designs and I could do without them. The Royal Family has a lot of alternate looks so I'd prefer to get them multiple times than "new character that will probably be forgotten or shoe-horned into a new young book once his/her book is cancelled".

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to be somewhat fair to Chuck's comment, by the time the TRU wave actually showed up, the LCS wave was already being discounted to specialty shops, and the overlapping characters didn't move from TRU shelves when specialty shops were selling the full wave for $20.

Maybe if specialty had seen higher sales of this property without having to discount, we would be looking at a second wave?

I'm not a Tomb Raider fan but I could see that this line might have been a success.

The LCS selection which was readily available had IMHO the'runts' whilst TRU got the 'cream' ....but hasn't that been true with Minimates for years ?

That's the way the cookie [esp. Chuck's] has always crumbled but unless I'm very wrong .....I'm convinced that I'm not ....TRU never saw anything near the numbers of Tomb Raider exclusives that we have seen with other Minimate lines.

"the line performed below retailer expectations " doesn't really do it for me.

I can only speak to what i witnessed at the two TRU i frequent, each received one case with all but two packs, (at one store) selling out rather quickly, id say within 3 weeks. FYI i bought one complete set and one extra storm guard and stalker pack to make a silver samurai custom. so i'd say the sold well here.

Tell me again why it's a surprise that a license that's never supported more than a single action figure at a time should obviously have been able to support multiple waves of minimates? It's more surprising DST was able to produce what they did.

Nobody's blaming the property, all he said was it didn't sell well. If you think our mix for specialty and TRU's distribution are to blame, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that specialty sales were low and TRU did not want more. We even tried to sell two more sets as exclusives, as Chuck pointed out.

But yeah, I think we've made more Tomb Raider figures than any line ever.

Edited by DSTZach

Distribution was poor, yes, but Tomb Raider was also probably hurt by hitting at the same time as the Great TRU Minimate Clearance took place. For awhile there, TR sets were the only full priced 'mates in the toy aisle, and that surely hurt their sell through.

It just always seems odd that;

TRU mates appeared in Canadian TRU stores 4 months prior to their arrival in US TRU stores ..... arriving 5 months after the release of the Specialty versions & just one sample case ( as far as I know ) was the only thing available from TRU.com .

Did ANY of the Tomb Raider 'mates hit retail at the same time as the game release? That's usually a big deal with retailers, especially TRU.

And the one time I found the TR 'mates, they were nowhere near the electronics department where the game would have been sold.

Between TRU's crappy distribution and random merchandising, it's no wonder they sold poorly.

So where are all these leftovers? Because I'm still missing a set.

I've seen them fairly recently at TRU. Which set are you missing? Next time I'm in there I'll look for ya.

My personal experience is that I found them fairly quickly, in the same aisle with the other Minimates BUT not mixed in with them. As I said, this was around the time that 'mates were being clearanced, and I was so caught up in those that I probably walked by the TR sets three times before I noticed them. I'm sure that several people either missed them or passed on them because the price point was so much higher. For awhile there, TR sets were the only Minimates you'd see, and that probably didn't help much either.

Still looking for the Scavenger set. PM me if you find one. Thanks!

Neither of my local stores were "eligible" to receive them. (Same with Battle Beasts.) Still unclear what determines eligibility because both of these stores get a pretty decent amount of traffic and one was recently remodeled. These aren't ghettos with tumbleweed in the parking lot.

There are three TRUs in my area. None received the Tomb Raider minimates. I greatly appreciate DST making unique figures that other companies won't touch. It's one of the reasons that I have been collecting 'mates since they came out. The distribution by TRU was a mess in this case. I am usually pretty lucky at buying figures online at TRU but these were barely a blip on the radar. Showed up once and never again

Both of my local TRU's got TR, and the full waves lingered at both for some time. Less than two weeks ago I was able to pick up a Lara/Two-Face set, so months later the STAR is still sitting on the shelves. Of course, at one TRU these were on the super hero aisle but not with other minimates. I would have expected them to be on the video game/specialty toy aisle with other game figures. But at the other TRU they were with all of the other minimates. So, I don't know, it's easy to blame TRU for poor distribution or whatever, but maybe there's a reason this has been the only toy line dedicated to TR.

I don't want to start speculating, per se... But I get the impression from that response that it's something they are also wanting to do. Usually if the answer is no, we'll hear a "never say never", or "not at this time", or Chuck will conveniently just skip over it. But to simply say that it's a good idea...? Makes me think there's something in the works, or at least they've got an idea for it somewhere down the line...

• 4 months later...

Chuck said this to my question a while back

First off Love the Minimates. But I was wondering, back in 2013 when you did the Deadpool’s Assemble! Box set, you did four popular heroes. For an upcoming exclusive or just a regular set, would you be willing to do a villian version of the set say…
-Deadpool M.O.D.O.K.
-Deadpool Galactus
-Deadpool Doc Ock
-Deapool Doctor Doom?
Just a suggestion :]

DSTChuck: I can tell you they are tossing around a bunch of DP ideas right now, so I would not count anything out.

Edited by Gmonkey2k

There was a new minimate Ask DST yesterday, but not much news. One answer did catch my eye though, in response to a question about more classic comic Avengers:

I don’t think we’ve made the decision to stay away from the Avengers comic stuff, but I do think some thought has occurred that the movies are covering it pretty well. That does not mean we will not do some comic stuff again soon.

Maybe it works like that for the casual fan, but do any collectors actually think that way? I find it interesting because I have the opposite feeling, a movie makes me want comic versions more and while the movie 'mates are often very cool they don't scratch that itch at all.

Edited by stack32